• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PFA: Players must 'share financial burden' during coronavirus suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evening Echo

The News
The Professional Footballers' Association accepts players must "share the financial burden" during the coronavirus pandemic after Health Secretary Matt Hancock called on Premier League stars to take a pay cut.

More...

Low paid people working for Premiershite and Championship clubs laid off or on less pay , while the overated w*****s earning obscene wages will only volunteer to cut their wages after a public revolt. Make Matt Hancock 100% right . Football the sport you wonder why you follow it. After mankind hopefully defeats corvid 19 hopefully footballers and their agents will be paid what their worth, at the present time less than nhs staff, supermarket workers and all the wonderful people in essential jobs.

It really is sickening that lots of them are paid between £100,000 and £300,000 a week. A WEEK. A nurse working her whole life, say for 45 years, even with overtime, couldn't earn what they earn in just 1 year. And to top it all, they have training for a few hours in the morning, and that's it, the rest of the day off. So mostly for under 2 hours a day work, if you can call it that.

It really is sickening that lots of them are paid between £100,000 and £300,000 a week. A WEEK. A nurse working her whole life, say for 45 years, even with overtime, couldn't earn what they earn in just 1 year. And to top it all, they have training for a few hours in the morning, and that's it, the rest of the day off. So mostly for under 2 hours a day work, if you can call it that.
Prehaps society will now realise that footballers are just lucky people who get paid for their hobby . If there pay was cut in the future how many would find alternative employment? My opinion not many

How does it help anyone but their employer if they take a pay cut ?
better off if they make gifts of percentages of their money to help those who need it most.

How does it help anyone but their employer if they take a pay cut ?
better off if they make gifts of percentages of their money to help those who need it most.

Because most clubs in the Premiership and Championship are not backed by oil barons, and can't afford to pay Millions in wages each week, when no money is coming in.

I would assume that most pro players are not on PAYE and their money is paid into a company that they are the main shareholder of , therefore contractually it may be a big issue legally just to cut their money for the clubs, but I cannot see why they cannot make charitable donations ( most probably do) at this time of need

Because most clubs in the Premiership and Championship are not backed by oil barons, and can't afford to pay Millions in wages each week, when no money is coming in.
Really , what about the vast sums they get in TV money and sponsorship deals , I think they can afford it .

I would assume that most pro players are not on PAYE and their money is paid into a company that they are the main shareholder of , therefore contractually it may be a big issue legally just to cut their money for the clubs, but I cannot see why they cannot make charitable donations ( most probably do) at this time of need

No, most players are PAYE on fixed term contracts. I remember years ago John Arne Riise's play slip was made public...

I've just messaged an agent friend of mine to clarify though. However, I think most of the top players have limited companies to handle their royalties from other sources. For example, I believe they get a percentage of any shirt sales with their names on etc, and all that goes through their companies.

Edit: Reply from my agent friend. All players are PAYE on fixed term contracts.

Last edited:
Companies that are registered overseas. Which means they don't pay tax in this country. No wonder we don't have the right equipment for the NHS staff and Firefighters having to be used as WW1 'runners' with messages at Grenfell because the comms are useless.

No, most players are PAYE on fixed term contracts. I remember years ago John Arne Riise's play slip was made public...

I've just messaged an agent friend of mine to clarify though. However, I think most of the top players have limited companies to handle their royalties from other sources. For example, I believe they get a percentage of any shirt sales with their names on etc, and all that goes through their companies.
So does that mean by cutting their salaries it just cuts the amount of tax they pay meaning less in the treasury coffers to support the needy ? Don’t get me wrong I couldn’t care less what they earn but think maybe they are being made a scapegoat but a lot of jealous people. Just don’t get how it would help nurses etc to cut their wages when their taxes help to pay them

So does that mean by cutting their salaries it just cuts the amount of tax they pay meaning less in the treasury coffers to support the needy ? Don’t get me wrong I couldn’t care less what they earn but think maybe they are being made a scapegoat but a lot of jealous people. Just don’t get how it would help nurses etc to cut their wages when their taxes help to pay them

I don't know the tax implications of the government's furlough scheme, but of course this is going to cost the country a lot of money.

My gripe is that whilst some top clubs are putting staff on furlough, supposedly because they can't afford to pay them (which a joke) at the same time they are still paying their players in full.
Morally disgraceful imo.

Stan Collymore got it right.

Imagine how morally corrupt a sport can visibly and proudly be when a cheque for £600k will go to a playing staff member this month but a £600 non playing staff member cheque is stopped because it's "desperately needed" to protect club finances.

Just let that sink in.

but that’s the clubs fault not the players , agree totally that businesses that have massive profits and access to large sums of money should not be taking advantage of the government furlough scheme and that not just football ie BA just furloughed 36, 000 staff do they not have any money then ? plus they will soon be asking for a bailout. Seems to me that footballers are an easy target , are politicians taking a cut in salary or are they all working from home these days ? bet they will still be claiming expenses.

but that’s the clubs fault not the players , agree totally that businesses that have massive profits and access to large sums of money should not be taking advantage of the government furlough scheme and that not just football ie BA just furloughed 36, 000 staff do they not have any money then ? plus they will soon be asking for a bailout. Seems to me that footballers are an easy target , are politicians taking a cut in salary or are they all working from home these days ? bet they will still be claiming expenses.

Don't forget BA's revenue is virtually non-existent at the moment. Football clubs at the highest level don't rely on gate receipts for their revenue, their TV money and sponsorship deals make up the vast majority of their turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back