• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PhD Club

Pubey

This thread is for people who have a PhD or who are currently doing a PhD.

Talk to me. I'm feeling the burn.

My wife is seriously thinking of starting her PhD in a couple of months. Can't say I'm looking forward to that!

My wife is seriously thinking of starting her PhD in a couple of months. Can't say I'm looking forward to that!

Is she a physio (I vaguely remember you saying)? My friend at work is a physio and just completed his PhD. It's a surprisingly under-researched field compared to many other health/medical areas. I'm sure there'd be a lot of academic value in her work. Sadly it's at the expense of personal sanity/spare time/social life/personal hygiene/sleep/quality of life. At least, that's my experience!

Doing a PhD is a bit like running up an ever-steepening mountain. When you start off it's nice and gentle, but near the end it's a complete ****er! Can't wait for the view from the top though once it's all done. Hopefully submitting in June.

I also recommend you don't have a child right in the middle of it!

It's not good when decent threads go sideways but seeing as someone else started it ...:...

Usee to work with a guy called Dave who had a PhD (we never knew what in). He was a little bit strange but a terrific pool player so played regularly in our team. Before every shot he would walk around the table using his cue and one arm to work out angles. It used to drive opponents crazy but we loved it. He ended up with the nickname protractor head Dave.

I don't have anything better than an A/O level and 8 O levels. Never stopped me in my career though sadly today I wouldn't even get a cursory glance on a first time job application in my role. Product Manager for Asia Pacific in my line of business

Nothing to my name no o levels or gcse or whatever they were called but then thats why i am a builder and you work in a uni,but my daughter gets her Phd in may so best of luck with yours.

On the street I am known as The Baron which I think you'll all agree sounds more impressive than Doctor or Professor.

Used to be taught French and Italian by a teacher at WHSG called Doctor Chessher, she was a Doctor of Philosophy - probably one of the worst teachers I ever had, couldn't control a class at all, and we weren't that bad!

Last edited:
Back