• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"****", "****", "*****", "******", "wand!!!?", "bellend", "clueless", "moron", etc ... just a few of the words that have been used by a select group on here in recent times to refer to the manager of Southend United Football Club.

Whether you love him, like him, are ambivalent, don't like him, can't stand him, hate the internal organs that keep him alive... at what point has it become acceptable to just abuse the manager of our team?

Without re-opening any debate as to whether he's good enough, while he's employed by our club shouldn't it go without question that we support him as the man in charge? Question his decisions; question his rationale; question his motivation, signings, commitment, formations, substitutions, ability to lead, choice of words, choice of suits, ego, tan, length of tenure at the damn Roslin... but he's the manager of our club and I'd have thought we were better leaving the abuse to the opposition.

Seriously, have I got this wrong? And should other Southend fans just stand back when our own feel the need to call our manager a ****? Got to be honest, it generally tells me more about the abuser and their thought process than it does about our manager, but that's just my opinion...

Yours?

"****", "****", "*****", "******", "wand!!!?", "bellend", "clueless", "moron", etc ... just a few of the words that have been used by a select group on here in recent times to refer to the manager of Southend United Football Club.

Whether you love him, like him, are ambivalent, don't like him, can't stand him, hate the internal organs that keep him alive... at what point has it become acceptable to just abuse the manager of our team?

Without re-opening any debate as to whether he's good enough, while he's employed by our club shouldn't it go without question that we support him as the man in charge? Question his decisions; question his rationale; question his motivation, signings, commitment, formations, ability to lead, choice of words, choice of suits, ego, tan, length of tenure at the damn Roslin... but he's the manager of our club and I'd have thought we were better leaving the abuse to the opposition.

Seriously, have I got this wrong? And should other Southend fans just stand back when our own feel the need to call our manager a ****? Got to be honest, it generally tells me more about the abuser and their thought process than it does about our manager, but that's just my opinion...

Yours?

Tend to agree with this.He's SUFC's manager.We should support him.

I can not understand the personal abuse and insults given to Phil, or any of OUR players. I can, and do, give critisism of what they do, their actions but not during the games when they get 100% support.
I also try and not moan about a subject unless I have an alternative solution to the issue or action.

I can not understand the personal abuse and insults given to Phil, or any of OUR players. I can, and do, give critisism of what they do, their actions but not during the games when they get 100% support.
I also try and not moan about a subject unless I have an alternative solution to the issue or action.

I'm not even questioning the right to have a whinge and a moan - we're football fans and we live for it! And it's not even just the abuse. It's the abuse of our own man that confuses me.

I agree, I've not been his biggest fan at times but I don't get the abuse thing same with players that some fans seem to target.

Without re-opening any debate as to whether he's good enough, while he's employed by our club shouldn't it go without question that we support him as the man in charge? Question his decisions; question his rationale; question his motivation, signings, commitment, formations, substitutions, ability to lead, choice of words, choice of suits, ego, tan, length of tenure at the damn Roslin... but he's the manager of our club and I'd have thought we were better leaving the abuse to the opposition.

Yours?

Mine ?

I question many, many of his decisions, I question his rationale, I question his negativity, I question his motivation and commitment especially at the back end of last season, I question some of his signings, and as for his formations and substitutions, they don't even bear thinking about. I question his belligerent behaviour towards officials which is no example whatsoever for the players or youngsters in the crowd and shows a massive lack of respect (see title of thread) to those without whom there would be no game. I look to see what benefits his presence brings to the team on match days and I see that with changes of tactics, substitutions etc he is invariably outflanked by the efforts of the opposing manager. I don't know for sure but I suspect his dealings with players are inconsistent and I don't admire the way he alienates players.

I don't know him well enough, or even at all, to know whether I'd enjoy his company or like him as a person but, again, I suspect not and for the reasons already stated I would prefer him to be someone else's manager. He appears rather too egocentric for my liking.

I don't know what that tells you about my thought process, but I agree that calling him a clueless moron, or worse, is inappropriate.

I don't know what that tells you about my thought process, but I agree that calling him a clueless moron, or worse, is inappropriate.
I think you know full well what it tells us about your thought process. The main thing is it shows you have one.

Mine ?

I question many, many of his decisions, I question his rationale, I question his negativity, I question his motivation and commitment especially at the back end of last season, I question some of his signings, and as for his formations and substitutions, they don't even bear thinking about. I question his belligerent behaviour towards officials which is no example whatsoever for the players or youngsters in the crowd and shows a massive lack of respect (see title of thread) to those without whom there would be no game. I look to see what benefits his presence brings to the team on match days and I see that with changes of tactics, substitutions etc he is invariably outflanked by the efforts of the opposing manager. I don't know for sure but I suspect his dealings with players are inconsistent and I don't admire the way he alienates players.

I don't know him well enough, or even at all, to know whether I'd enjoy his company or like him as a person but, again, I suspect not and for the reasons already stated I would prefer him to be someone else's manager. He appears rather too egocentric for my liking.

Beautiful put, I just don't have the intellect to put it like that so I just call him a bellend. His constant rubbish he spouts to the media grips me and the whole situation with Bolton made me lose all faith in him. Maybe it's the culture I work in where it's normal to just call someone a bellend or a moron etc and it not be taken too harshly.

I don't hate him he gave us one of the greatest experiences as Southend fans at Wembley. I've just grown tired of him and find his thought process bizarre with everything media and football related.

Beautiful put, I just don't have the intellect to put it like that so I just call him a bellend. His constant rubbish he spouts to the media grips me and the whole situation with Bolton made me lose all faith in him. Maybe it's the culture I work in where it's normal to just call someone a bellend or a moron etc and it not be taken too harshly.

I don't hate him he gave us one of the greatest experiences as Southend fans at Wembley. I've just grown tired of him and find his thought process bizarre with everything media and football related.

And yet thus far through his tenure we've finished higher each season , meaning we progressed ! My god there must be some humongous bellends out there then in comparison ! I personally think that some fans are busty as disrespectful , again the fans that can't even give him the credit for the promotion or Wembley ( many have said we achieved this in spite of him and yet always blame him when things go badly .., people can't have it both ways ).

Shame the bellend was also hit with an awful injury list last season , but I suppose other bellends would have risen to that particular problem.

Oh well, maybe one day we will get a new bellend to bemoan .. I wonder who the lucky bellend will be

Well said G, I hate this inclination to abuse the manager and the team personally. :clap:

PB did himself no favours by allowing the Bolton speculation to rumble on for weeks, along with the often strange managerial decisions, which baffle many.

However, as I would imagine the vast majority of SUFC supporters would agree, there really is no excuse for some of the abuse handed out to a Manager who has actually done a pretty good job for the Club since he has been here. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but lets not get personal - after all, it's only a game........

Ignoring the petty bickering thats sprouted up on the thread and back to the topic.....

Would make more sense if he had gotten us relegated, but last I saw he got us promoted and a reasonable league position in our first year. Then we get told with "our squad" he should have done better, yet when we have threads asking who we should keep for a promotion push next season most people list about 3 players in their to keep list.

Sturrock seems to be held with more respect and he failed to get us promoted and his football was as dire as Ive seen since pre-Tilson.

When he arrived we were League Two and Orient and Col U were lording it above us, now we are the only one in League One.

I appreciate what Phil Brown has achieved here, I don't care enough to be gutted if he left to be honest, but I don't understand the viterol there is from some either.

Quite. Unbelievable that a mod admits on the website in question to being unable to recognize whether language is inappropriate or not.
Beyond parody.

Perhaps the owners of this august website need to rethink their decision to make you a moderator, as you find it too difficult to express yourself without resorting to playground language?

How about getting down from your ivory towers and lightening up a little. Plenty of the mods have used 'playground language' and I know for a fact so have the owners. I'm a moderator because I put a lot of effort into helping to keep this site going, I secured us a sponsor who has helped by investing a decent amount of money to keep you guys coming on here and the site free.

When I use the language it's within the rules of SZ. At no point in the rules of this site does it say you can't swear, what it does say is that you should not abuse the swear filter so write things that look like the word to stop the filter filtering it out. I am hot on that and you will often find I edit posts where people have done so. I haven't been abusive towards a member and all I have said is what I think whether I think he's an idiot, moron, bellend, **** is irrespective of my ability to moderate on this site. If you obviously have an issue why not take it up with the owners rather than publicly calling my position out on the site. I do this for free in my own time and take a lot of flack at times, I do wonder why I bother sometimes! Nice end to my 30th birthday lads.

I agree he is the man in charge but you can't stop anyone criticising him. However, personal insults are not clever and are for children. He doesn't deserve personal criticism as I imagine hardly anyone on here will know the man.
I thought Dick Bate was a god awful football manager but that doesn't mean he is a god awful bloke - if you follow my meaning.

I agree he is the man in charge but you can't stop anyone criticising him. However, personal insults are not clever and are for children. He doesn't deserve personal criticism as I imagine hardly anyone on here will know the man.
I thought Dick Bate was a god awful football manager but that doesn't mean he is a god awful bloke - if you follow my meaning.

Imagine life on the Zone under Alvin Martin.

Yours?
good post

I still haven't made my mind up on Phil. He impresses me one minute and then does the opposite the next. I think it's childish to not give him credit for certain things as well as highlighting his errors. To solely be on one side of the argument is a bit silly in my eyes. I do think that Phil brings some of it on himself but that's his decision . Whilst he is our manager he has my support, but that doesn't mean I will agree with everything he does. As for abuse of players/ manager during a match- that is simply wrong . However I admit to joining in with the majoritye to " you don't know what your doing" . Can't recall what match that was, but it showed that every supporter has a breaking point

How about getting down from your ivory towers and lightening up a little. Plenty of the mods have used 'playground language' and I know for a fact so have the owners. I'm a moderator because I put a lot of effort into helping to keep this site going, I secured us a sponsor who has helped by investing a decent amount of money to keep you guys coming on here and the site free.

When I use the language it's within the rules of SZ. At no point in the rules of this site does it say you can't swear, what it does say is that you should not abuse the swear filter so write things that look like the word to stop the filter filtering it out. I am hot on that and you will often find I edit posts where people have done so. I haven't been abusive towards a member and all I have said is what I think whether I think he's an idiot, moron, bellend, **** is irrespective of my ability to moderate on this site. If you obviously have an issue why not take it up with the owners rather than publicly calling my position out on the site. I do this for free in my own time and take a lot of flack at times, I do wonder why I bother sometimes! Nice end to my 30th birthday lads.

Well said. And just for the record, the original post wasn't to pull out Ricey or anyone else in particular as I haven't exactly been 'taking names' on this (albeit he did put his hands up on the 'bellend' one which is ultimately one of the meeker insults). As moderators we post as posters first, moderators second.

Let's keep the thread on track. The question is simply, should it be acceptable for supporters to accept the abuse of the manager of our own football club by other supporters when there's plenty of rivals out there willing to do the job for us?

Not so sure about this. If we were in the bottom 3 playing dire football and having won once in the last 10 games, almost EVERYONE would be on the manager's back and the language used would be far worse than it is currently. There wouldn't be threads like this then. The problem is that half of us think the manager has done enough to earn another crack - I'm certainly of this view. However I've watched enough football over the years to realise that recent form is poor, he's struggling to move the squad forward, and he has a habit of 'outing' players when we suffer a defeat - none of these things bode well for any manager in the long run. As such the dissenters could be proved correct in the long run - we may look back on this close season and reflect that we SHOULD have made a change. But then were dissenters when we were gaining promotion from league 2 - that was the time to ask the question whether some supporters were actually 'supporters' - I remember the ridiculous comments from some quarters regarding the state of the team generally. But then the vast majority realised the comments were ridiculous whereas now more of us are a little bit uncertain.

Back