• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Last November we had a private dinner with PB for charity and there was a photo shoot booked for today at Little Havens.

Given yesterdays news, we obviously would understand if he wanted to cancel but no, he honoured his commitment and came along, giving up an hour or so to speak with us honestly and with candour, but absolutely no bitterness and he hopes he has parted with Ron on good terms.

He's a very decent chap to do that, fair play to him.

That doesn't come as a surprise.

I've met Phil on several occasions (once being stopped in Waitrose and being asked to explain a ref's decision from the game before). He is a football person, through and through, and I know he will be gutted he didn't see the job through to the end. Unlike many at SUFC, he was always happy to come along and present a few gongs, do a quick bit of speaking and generally be what we'd expect the manager of our local, community club to be.

Was never about him as a person and he almost delivered last year and would have apart from the rubbish start to season! Wish him luck and all the best for the future.

Yep, that is absolutely quality. Top stuff! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Some of the things he did that were above and beyond would include.

Arranging two surprise tickets in the directors box for a friend of mine and his sister Sue as she had a terminal illness and had never been to a match but had always followed the shrimpers. We beat Bradford 3-0. Sue died in September with her 100% record intact.

Arranging a signed shirt from Adam Barrett and coming to present it along with AB in the Centre Circle when Herman was celebrating his 1000th home game in a row. Took time out before a match as he thought that was a fantastic achievement.

Arranging for a promising young local footballer to come and see Ben Clarkson after he had finished with the players for the day. The young lad was recovering from an ACL operation that had gone badly in the recovery stage and was in danger of ending his career. PB and Coughlan gave the lad some good advice afterwards whilst they were in the gym.

Giving time to allow another young shrimper a chance to interview him as he was doing a sports journalist course.

He's not a bad manager, but had to work with constraints that made it difficult and then panicked himself into a corner a bit, this season.

Made some poor choices, at times, but overall his legacy will be a good one, whether we like it or not.

Unlike his managerial record, that is commendable.

I actually fear for him a little. I think being sacked will leave a big void in his life that won't be easy for him to fill. I hope the LMA can support him with that transition.

I think he’ll get another job quite quickly. Plenty of managers on the merry go round with a worse track record than him. If Lambert can get the Stoke job, Brown shouldn’t be unemployed for long.

I think he’ll get another job quite quickly. Plenty of managers on the merry go round with a worse track record than him. If Lambert can get the Stoke job, Brown shouldn’t be unemployed for long.

Lets hope he does and comes back to us to get his old cronies for his new team.

I am not surprised he turned up, think the guy is genuine and has taken a lot of stick from some quarters. His record until this season was better than previous recent Managers. Phil Brown knows he is in the results business, and it is a shame it ended this way. Good Luck to him for the future.

Phil Brown always supported the annual Southend CC v Southend Utd game at Southchurch Park. Last year he not only batted but kept wicket as well. After the game I was having a pint and a chat with some mates in the clubhouse and Phil Brown was there. We didn't approach him, he probably gets way to much attention as it is. But when he came to go, he went round everyone in the clubhouse including myself and my mates, shook our hands and wished us well.

A finer and more decent man you could not wish to meet.

Phil Brown was always great at Meet The Blues Day and Junior Blues events. Here's what these two had to say today........

Ricky Duncan: "It's nice to have stepped up but it's sad for me too. The relationship I had with Phil was the best I've ever had with a manager. He did a lot behind the scenes for the youth that people didn't see and was brilliant to me."

Kevin Maher: "It was a strange day today. The manager brought me in and gave me a chance in coaching. He really helped me to improve and did a lot for me. But this club is very close to me and I'll do everything I can to help it."

I wish him all the best and hope he get's back into Management and has the success he deserves.

Be surprised to see him stay down South, with his roots in the North. Given time, probably end up at Carlisle, although they currently have a manager.

Was never about him as a person and he almost delivered last year and would have apart from the rubbish start to season! Wish him luck and all the best for the future.
I think the way he isolated certain players and threw them under the bus in his post match interviews says something about him as a person. In the end his comments after games made me hate him and I don't hate a lot of people.

Fair play to him for this though, as OP says, he could have backed out given the circumstances of this week.

mixed feeings - because i am a big softy i don't like to see anyone hurt and i think phil has taken a knock ...

BUT .. who has sympathy for Bolger Thommo Prosser O'Neil ... or any other player who Phil did not want -

AND the older players thing is a FAILED strategy

AND I assume he is more than financially secure ..

so dry your tears

mixed feeings - because i am a big softy i don't like to see anyone hurt and i think phil has taken a knock ...

BUT .. who has sympathy for Bolger Thommo Prosser O'Neil ... or any other player who Phil did not want -

AND the older players thing is a FAILED strategy

AND I assume he is more than financially secure ..

so dry your tears

This thread is about Phil Brown the decent guy. In the other threads it's mostly his negative stuff and failings, that even I have not been happy with him. Surely we are decent enough on here to have one positive Phil Brown thread highlighting the good stuff he has done, some of it behind the scenes.

Back