• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Phil Brown feels Southend United's signings are sending out message to league

Jesus, a lot of overreaction to what is simply a throwaway comment from a manager being happy with his early signings. Do we have to nitpick every single thing the guy says?

At the end of the day the target is very clear, get back in to league 2 in 1/2 years. If Brown said anything to the contrary he'd probably not have been hired in the first place. He has to set the level of expectation for the players as much as us.

Yes, this is the shrimperzone, its the way we roll, particularly in the close season ?

Jesus, a lot of overreaction to what is simply a throwaway comment from a manager being happy with his early signings. Do we have to nitpick every single thing the guy says?

At the end of the day the target is very clear, get back in to league 2 in 1/2 years. If Brown said anything to the contrary he'd probably not have been hired in the first place. He has to set the level of expectation for the players as much as us.
I gave an opinion, which I thought was balanced, if that's nit picking then I'm guilty.

We whinged and whined about lack of communication. Last year we got a pre-match interview before each game that said not a lot and that was it. CP couldn’t find a story for days on end.
Now every day we get something- transfer updates or whatever- generally something positive (although of course that is strictly verboten).
Perhaps in part PB’s comments are aimed at transfer targets. The message is we are serious about getting back up, and making the signings to prove it. Might encourage one or two to join, or one or two to stay. What do you want him to say “we are making one or two not too bad signings, but don’t get carried away, it’s going to be very very tough, the first goal is to get 40 points so we can stay up”?
I suspect a few more might complain about that.
I understand some are desperate to critique him at every opportunity but this is one occasion when I think it’s a little manufactured shall we say..

Yeah, get the Horlicks on and where's my slippers lol....

Seriously though, the signings are but a small part of it. It will be the attitude we show in pre season and then need to show from the 21st August onwards, when clubs think we are their cup final, then we have to be stronger...., meaner....... and better...... and show them what it's like to leave with a losers medal!

We have to have the mentality that this is Roots Hall and WE are Southend United and you have to earn the right to play against us, not be given it, like teams have over the past 3 seasons or more.

And when we travel our support will out voice anyone, our players will out play any one and we will bleed to get a result, a la Terry Butcher, and if you are playing Southend United you HAVE to make it your cup final, because if you don't you will lose!

This is going to be a season like no other! We have to be in it together players, management and fans alike, because if we are not we WILL lose and it is something that this season must STOP.

This season WE are Southend United! And WE are winners!

Believe!

Last edited:
MM to RM: "err, can I have a new striker please?"
RM to MM: "well, things are a bit tight at the moment, lets make do with what we've got, I'm sure all will be fine"
MM to RM: "ok, thanks"

PB to RM: "whey hey man, we need a new striker or three, get your wallet out, and not the card which just has a £50 spending limit"
RM to PB: "ok Phil, whatever you say, here, have this nice gold card, it should do nicely"
PB to RM: "greet, I remember that one, had some good neets oot on that"

Back