• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should manage at Wembley?

• Paul Sturrock

Votes: 141 64.7%
  • Phil Brown

Votes: 58 26.6%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 19 8.7%

• Total voters

amsemp

Director⭐
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...t-taking-charge-of-Southend-United-at-Wembley

Interview with Phil Brown where he refuses to rule out the prospects of managing us at Wembley. In what was an incredibly awkward interview with Sky Sports, he seems reluctant to disclose any information regarding the conversation he says he's had with Sturrock.

Personally, I will be so angry if Brown manages at Wembley. It is the type of day that defines the careers of managers and Brown in my opinion, has no right to bask in the glory of an occassion he did not earn or contribute to. The day should be Luggy's day to experience.

I discovered a new found respect for Ron Martin with his 'why shouldn't there be sentiments in football?" comment, and I would be bitterly disappointed if he is a pushover with this. Yes, it has been branded as 'bizarre', but this is what Sturrock deserves after what he has done for this football club.

I sincerely hope that Sturrock & Ron stick to their guns on this one. Nothing against Brown personally, but it's not his day.

Last edited:
I'm going to sound harsh here.....but I just want Southend United to win the JPT.

I would choose to have PS manager, but would rather we win with PB, than lose with PS.

The club is bigger than both of them.

Luggys gone, he should have no more involvement, sure this should have waited until after, but, Ron thought form had dropped, Sturrock lost the Dressing Room & the general plot......................

There is more to this story than we know, but Brown is the manager he should manage the team, if Sturrock wanted Wembley he should put more effort into getting his team focused & ready for the play offs, instead of saying 'i cant be harsh, they havent let me down before' & then letting the players give their own teamtalk, come on!!

Did Chelsea ask Di Matteo to manage in the Club World Champs cos he won them the champs league, NO & we shouldnt be expecting Luggy to at wembley!

Not choosing the don’t really care option because I do care, but I can’t make a clear decision.

I agree Sturrock led us here and deserves the day, Brown has done nothing to get us here. The selfish side of me cares for the club though and whilst the playoffs are still possible, albeit unlikely, I want the team to be in the best shape to chase that goal. The side has been lacklustre the last few games and I’m not sure Wembley on the horizon is a coincidence to these performances. A lot of the squad under Sturrock know they are first choice and nailed on starters if they are fit, sometimes even if they aren’t. We have a nucleus of players who must feel they already have their spot at Wembley under Sturrock. I worry about the motivation of the players the Sturrock players going through the motions making sure they are fit for their big day and the players on the peripheries, that Brown may choose to use, knowing they won’t be able to force their way in regardless of performance. Brown has a better chance to hit the ground running if he can say “give me these important points and I’ll give you Wembley”. Sturrock always comes across as a good guy and whilst I didn’t particularly like his style of play I would hate to deprive him of this day.

Awful decision to have to make, I can’t make it.

Crap decision by RM (as usual) but any respect I had for PB has already gone - he should be man enough to abide by his Chairman's decision. He comes across really badly in that interview imho.

The current manager of Southend United should manage the team in all future fixtures until his contract expires or is terminated.

"These may not be sentiments common to Football but it is the way I want this Club to be run. For all these reasons I have suggested to Paul he leads the Team out and manages them at Wembley. He has earned that privilege and agreed". Beginning and end of debate as far as I'm concerned. If Ron reneges on this then he loses the last vestige of credibility he has left. Which isn't much.

The current manager of Southend United should manage the team in all future fixtures until his contract expires or is terminated.

Agree in normal circumstances, but after all the pomp about 'sentiment' RM should stand by his word.

Personally I think it was a terrible decision and the split should have been clean once RM had decided upon it and therefore the current Manager should manage as per your comment, however that is not what was said and appears to have been promised by RM.

If PB does lead the Team at Wembley without PS blessing then what a horrible taste that will leave on what should be a really enjoyable day.

Just look at the headline for this thread:
Phil Brown refuses to rule out taking charge of Southend United at Wembley
If a supporter of any other club read that headline - they would think us a very strange group of fans to be discussing it.

Mourinho refuses to rule out taking charge of Real Madrid.
Edgar Davids refuses to rule out taking charge of Barnet.
Sir Alex refuses to rule out taking charge of Man Utd.
Even - Adkins refuses to rule out taking charge of Reading.

In each case you'd think it nonsense.

Not us. we actually have a thread about how our newly appointed manager refuses to rule out taking charge for the third game since getting the job.

Paul Sturrock should of remained in charge until after the jpt when he stepped down and David Dickinsons son took over, No hassle, no drama, just decency..... Oh but then we factor in our good old chairman :hilarious:

He did come across a prick if a agreement been made that ps manages the team at wembley thats fine and should happen but if not brown should he is now manager of southend utd not paul sturrock.

Is this like watching is all about .A chairman who makes **** up after **** up . It was him that sacked Sturrock .It was he that told the world that Sturrock had been sacked but he will stioll lead the team out at Wembley . The safe answer to this was to place Coughland take over as temp manager until the final place Sturrock incharge for the final .The let Phil brown take over for the last 5 matches . Then maybe we would not have this stupid position we have now .Crew must be sitting back and laughing at us .Folk could hardly miss it again we are airing our dirty washing in public .Well done Ron .

The best thing is for Brown to take charge but Luggy to get a chance to say farewell to the fans and for us to show him our appreciation.

I would like the manager of the football club do it. Last time I checked that was Brown as Sturrock had been sacked. It's a tough world the football one.

Back