• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Come on, did you watch us play in Brown's final few games?

We looked jaded, bereft of confidence and beaten before kick-off. The phrase 'losing the dressing room' is a bit of a cliche but those performances reflected Phil's mentality; he'd lost focus, looked tired, fed-up and his post-match comments were those of someone almost pleading for the sack. At that stage we had plunged to 20th in the table and I think only one point off the drop zone.

Powell gave the players the lift that they needed and the freedom to play without fear. Dru was back in the team after Brown had dumped him out of the squad and we became tactically well-drilled (see this video as an example). We ended up finishing 10th. Coincidence? I think not.

I’ve never disagreed we were looking a little jaded and PB had certainly lost the plot a little. What really gets my back up is that absolute love in for “s”CP and people that can not see he is a very average manager that has achieved nothing for us YET and in the same respect for at least 2 seaons couldn’t wait to see the back of a manager that got us promoted “in spite” of his management and then a comfortable top 10 finish the season before his dimissile.

Those same people that critised everything PB did including players getting injured, now put all that down to luck because CP surely can’t do wrong.

I personally think (opinion...) we are in a much weaker position as a club currently than this time last year and the dangerous acceptance of mediocrity has set in amongst the fans blinded by CP.

I’ve never disagreed we were looking a little jaded and PB had certainly lost the plot a little. What really gets my back up is that absolute love in for “s”CP and people that can not see he is a very average manager that has achieved nothing for us YET and in the same respect for at least 2 seaons couldn’t wait to see the back of a manager that got us promoted “in spite” of his management and then a comfortable top 10 finish the season before his dimissile.

Those same people that critised everything PB did including players getting injured, now put all that down to luck because CP surely can’t do wrong.

I personally think (opinion...) we are in a much weaker position as a club currently than this time last year and the dangerous acceptance of mediocrity has set in amongst the fans blinded by CP.
CP is not an average manager and has proved this with a pretty spectacular promotion with Charlton at this level. Surely his ability to not only save us from relegation but contribute to us getting a top 10 finish the way he did is an achievement. He's technically only been with us for half a season!

Are we in a weaker position than last season? Time will tell but we have plenty of youngsters banging on the first team door and we haven't seen our best outfield player under Powell so far yet this season.

Am I happy with our season so far? No but I've seen enough football this season to suggest we are going to give a team a good thrashing sooner or later.

We need to be patient. If you can't appreciate what Powell has done so far with us then I give up.

CP is not an average manager and has proved this with a pretty spectacular promotion with Charlton at this level. Surely his ability to not only save us from relegation but contribute to us getting a top 10 finish the way he did is an achievement. He's technically only been with us for half a season!

Are we in a weaker position than last season? Time will tell but we have plenty of youngsters banging on the first team door and we haven't seen our best outfield player under Powell so far yet this season.

Am I happy with our season so far? No but I've seen enough football this season to suggest we are going to give a team a good thrashing sooner or later.

We need to be patient. If you can't appreciate what Powell has done so far with us then I give up.
This very much depends how you look at it. You believe Powell saved us from relegation. I believe any new manager would’ve got a bounce from the players and I don’t actually think we were going down either last season but fair play, we had a decent end to the season with an aging squad he inherited.

His great season with charlton was 7 years ago...for context Jose mourinho was the worlds best manager at the time...things change and he has done nothing since including being out of a managers job for over 2 years.

Time will tell mate and I hope he proves me wrong but having watched every minute of football this season it’s been ****ing **** thus far and don’t really understand what his blue print is apart from this deperation to bring down the average age of the squad which I don’t buy, if young players are good enough they play and if they are really good they leave...so we can’t build for the future with young nor old as every couple of seasons everything will always change. I want success every season and 19th doesn’t cut it.

Good is the death of great.

What is worrying about Powell now that the honeymoon is over is his apparent rigid thinking and inability to change things when needed. I hope he is not retreating into a siege mentality now that things are going badly. To keep persisting with Cox and Hopper when it is clear it is not working is a bad sign, similarly Robinson as first sub but playing him wide when he should be central and the derisory few minutes given to McCoulsky. To keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result invites the Einstein quote I am afraid.

This very much depends how you look at it. You believe Powell saved us from relegation. I believe any new manager would’ve got a bounce from the players and I don’t actually think we were going down either last season but fair play, we had a decent end to the season with an aging squad he inherited.

His great season with charlton was 7 years ago...for context Jose mourinho was the worlds best manager at the time...things change and he has done nothing since including being out of a managers job for over 2 years.

Time will tell mate and I hope he proves me wrong but having watched every minute of football this season it’s been ****ing **** thus far and don’t really understand what his blue print is apart from this deperation to bring down the average age of the squad which I don’t buy, if young players are good enough they play and if they are really good they leave...so we can’t build for the future with young nor old as every couple of seasons everything will always change. I want success every season and 19th doesn’t cut it.

Good is the death of great.

We have had success every season since Paul Sturrock arrived, Just to survive in the first few seasons was a fantastic success. Promotion under PB with a maximum wage of £1500 per week gave us our best ever day out at Wembley.

We have stayed in L1 for 4 seasons for the first time. History tells us we should be bottom of L1. Even under the much hated by some, PB and then CP, we have had some cracking games at RH over the last few seasons. Our academy is proving a success and we have made money from sales.

We would have have no chance in the Championship until FF and if the Council refuse the plans, then who knows what might happen to our future. If a small club has success to the point where it over achieves there is always a price to pay....,,Remember what happened last time we got to the promised land for just one season.

So enjoy our run of mid table L1 mediocrity while it lasts down at the Hall why we still can. Because the next time it might be in a 3/4 empty soulless stadium or a ground share with Dagenham

Genuine question.... Then why read this post add your post to this thread?

Back