• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He did a good job for us, the only problem is his barrack room management style.
In a bad spell , if public bollockings don’t work then he struggles to know what to do.
That Hull half time debacle was farm from out of character

We are in League 1 because we won the lottery of a penalty competition.

Lucky old PB wins 7 in a row in April, wins the semis and after 120 minutes of football he gets lucky again. Not only did we have the better keeper our players took better penalties, to win the most dramatic match in our 110 year history all at Wembley stadium.....That's the last thing anyone in Swindon would want this season.

It doesn't matter if you score in the first minute or the last minute, or if you win a penalty shoot out. If you win you go up. It's not a lottery - it's a win. Give some credit where it's due.

I would suggest getting 84 points is a decent enough return to deserve promotion, regardless of the ins and outs of the play-off final themselves.

One-off games can be a lottery, but it can't be argued that the two finalists were the worthy contenders and on the day, we were just a touch more clinical than Wycombe. Not just the penalties. Even their goal was a shot off-target!

Lucky old PB wins 7 in a row in April, wins the semis and after 120 minutes of football he gets lucky again. Not only did we have the better keeper our players took better penalties, to win the most dramatic match in our 110 year history all at Wembley stadium.....That's the last thing anyone in Swindon would want this season.

Maybe if he had been luckier we would have gone up automatically. Good luck to Swindon, let’s hope they see a few black cats or four leaf clover. Or maybe if they have better players they won’t need it. Everyone knows the best team always wins a penalty shoot out.

Thanks Ricky Otto thats pretty much how I thought it wouldbe with him, build on the defence first, did not know so much about the slow build up though as from what I had read he was liek Allardyce in getting the ball forward into the channels quickly and making good use of set pieces.

We have some good passing players (when allowed as Flitcroft didn't like that side of the game) and we have some hard working strikers as well as 3 or 4 players with bags of pace but they were never allowed to use it rather having the ball hoofed at them at 100mph all the time, not their strengths as you can imagine.

I am cautiously otimistic that he can get the best out of our players at his disposal but fear play offs could be out of our reach.

Thanks again.

His strength is getting players to stand in front of free-kicks so they can't be taken quickly. We got very, very good at that.

He might be a good temporary fit if you were a free flowing attacking side who just needed to be sorted out defensively but his methods don't seem very sustainable long term as they seem to require a considerable churn as he regularly alienates players after defeats. His teams are prone to going into tail-spins which can only be re-set by shipping in new players but the flip side we went on some long unbeaten runs. In that respect his teams are quite maniac depressive, although that would over state the excitement of watching a bunch of journeymen largely going through the motions. They weren't bad just dull. His preference is very much for experienced professionals who don't need managing and kids are on a very short leash. The youngest player in his final Southend line-up was, I think, 27. Flair was invariably in short supply, even though we had some technically gifted players.

Discipline during his reign was a joke (at least 3 players were jailed during that time for various misdemeanours but maybe that was the Chairman who allowed that). If he praises someone it's because he's about to drop/ignore them. His idea of a motivational team talk was getting Jeremy Kyle in.

I'm hoping he does enough to get the job permanently. That way we can offload some of his signings onto you. Your club probably deserves him for trying to charge away fans £27 a ticket in the mid 2000s.

Let's ignore the fact that if we had been given a pentalty for the blatant push on Corr, the foul (or throw, can't remember which it was now) prior to Wycombes free-kick, the fact that their free-kick hit the bar and hit Bentley to go in, we probably wouldn't have needed penalties to win.

If anyone was lucky in that play-off final, it certainly wasn't us!!!

Let's ignore the fact that if we had been given a pentalty for the blatant push on Corr, the foul (or throw, can't remember which it was now) prior to Wycombes free-kick, the fact that their free-kick hit the bar and hit Bentley to go in, we probably wouldn't have needed penalties to win.

If anyone was lucky in that play-off final, it certainly wasn't us!!!

My memory of most of that match isn’t very good, I only seem to remember from the moment Jack Payne made a vital tackle towards the end, but didn’t we have a goal disallowed early on as well?

I see Swindon's final away league match is at Col Ewe.

We should pop up to give PB our support!

No, that's today's game 'muffers' old chap.

Col Ewe is the final away league game on 28th April.

...which we only were in because we finished in the top 7 of a 24 team league, beat another top 7 team to make it to the final and then had to keep our heads in the game when we went behind at Wembley to get a last minute equaliser. There was a lot of work involved to get to that penalty shootout which you are ignoring.

Solid if uninspiring win today 3-1, obviously a bit early for PB to stamp his authority on things but the players seemed to want to play for him.

Very pleased with his 100% win ratio so far ;)

Who cares about Brown. Didn't like him much at SUFC.Vastly overrated.Negative and loved to hear himself talk.

Who cares about Brown. Didn't like him much at SUFC.Vastly overrated.Negative and loved to hear himself talk.

All those things may be true, but this thread is about ex Shrimpers so it gives those who do care, good or bad, the option to comment about Phillip Brown.

If Swindoom can make a run then they have a good chance at the play off and them going up is, for me, preferable to a lot of the other clubs in the mix.
And, as we know, Phil is a "streaky runs" manager.

Back