• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would a kid from Sunderland fancy moving 350 miles south away from his friends and family?

Plus Big Sam only took charge with about nine games left didn't he? Premier League U21 squads are not packed with players that are guaranteed to be good enough for League One, and those that were he probably wanted to assess for his important run-in. Sending talented youngsters out on loan to all and sundry was probably not his priority.

Plus Big Sam only took charge with about nine games left didn't he? Premier League U21 squads are not packed with players that are guaranteed to be good enough for League One, and those that were he probably wanted to assess for his important run-in. Sending talented youngsters out on loan to all and sundry was probably not his priority.

There were many occasions when he was at West Ham and we were in League Two and other clubs in our division got decent kids from the spammers. It was discussed on here at length.

Surely the key point in the context of this thread is, if Phil is considered 'all and sundry' then his chances of joining the England set up are about as good as yours or mine

Could take a positive slant on this, which I know is dangerous on this forum. However, just say PB was offered a part time role within the England Set Up, would people deem this beneficial for the Club ? I personally would, more kudos with a manager being involved with international players, learning from time spent there, that he can share with our squad. I don't buy into this "spreading yourself to thin", we have a good set up, with GC and others and PB would also be over seeing this. If players are technically "part time" as internationals, a coach etc, could do the same.

PB self promoting himself is cringeworthy and embarrassing. He will never manage a Premiership club again and he is not the great outstanding manager that he would like everyone to believe he is.

He he really needs to concerntrate on managing us and not make comments about wishing to manage other clubs which in all honesty we all know he has no chance whatsoever of doing so.

Could take a positive slant on this, which I know is dangerous on this forum. However, just say PB was offered a part time role within the England Set Up, would people deem this beneficial for the Club ? I personally would, more kudos with a manager being involved with international players, learning from time spent there, that he can share with our squad. I don't buy into this "spreading yourself to thin", we have a good set up, with GC and others and PB would also be over seeing this. If players are technically "part time" as internationals, a coach etc, could do the same.
Not allowed...

People are seriously overreacting. There is more chance of Barna making a correct prediction than Brown being involved with either England or Sunderland. He is popular in the media and is pretty good at making his points, hence he is often the go to man when talking about a lot of topics, especially people he has worked with. I mean seriously, when was the last time a premier league club appointed a manager from League one?? Big Sam will either take Paul Bracewell his current assistant or be told to work with a younger England coach like Gary Neville or Rio Ferdinand maybe.

People are seriously overreacting. There is more chance of Barna making a correct prediction than Brown being involved with either England or Sunderland. He is popular in the media and is pretty good at making his points, hence he is often the go to man when talking about a lot of topics, especially people he has worked with. I mean seriously, when was the last time a premier league club appointed a manager from League one?? Big Sam will either take Paul Bracewell his current assistant or be told to work with a younger England coach like Gary Neville or Rio Ferdinand maybe.

Obviously Brown has zero chance with Sunderland (they're appointing Moyes today anyway), but I do think he could be involved with England for definite.

Sam trusts him and likes working with him, so why wouldnt he be involved? Brown is much in Sams mould, using modern technology, good with the media etc. Wouldnt be surprised at all if he got approached.

Does Brown nosing pay? Ive seen a lot of it work fantastically well in my career, and thats without a torquise apron and a special handshake:smile:

I too reckon a lot of people are over reacting here or just jumping on this because they don't like brown as it is... His clearly saying in general he would want to be involved as would anyone at our level and who could blame him for wanting the Sunderland job, it's his club that he supports.

If brown for approach as big sams assistant then why not take it, I don't see any reason why he couldn't do both jobs and be committed to both at the same time if he wanted to. Giving himself one or the other to fall back on of the other didn't work out. Not sure if Ron would like it or not.

I too reckon a lot of people are over reacting here or just jumping on this because they don't like brown as it is... His clearly saying in general he would want to be involved as would anyone at our level and who could blame him for wanting the Sunderland job, it's his club that he supports.

If brown for approach as big sams assistant then why not take it, I don't see any reason why he couldn't do both jobs and be committed to both at the same time if he wanted to. Giving himself one or the other to fall back on of the other didn't work out. Not sure if Ron would like it or not.

this wouldn't work during the international breaks. If for example our game remains on due to no call ups on either side he cant be with us and the England Squad in Europe some where

Think there's an overreaction here, Phil went on to talk about Big Sam and then got asked at the end if he'd be interested in the Sunderland job. From how he responded he clearly doesn't think there's any chance of it happening which is why he just flat out said 'yes', if he seriously thought he was in contention he'd have danced around the question like he did with the Bolton link.

There were many occasions when he was at West Ham and we were in League Two and other clubs in our division got decent kids from the spammers. It was discussed on here at length.

Surely the key point in the context of this thread is, if Phil is considered 'all and sundry' then his chances of joining the England set up are about as good as yours or mine

That's different, I was referring to why we didn't get any of Sunderland's youngsters last year.

If I remember rightly (not guaranteed) didn't we have west ham's under 21s down when Allardyce was there for a friendly - partly to see if Brown was keen on any of them. We battered them and Brown couldn't find anyone he fancied so he left it.

Someone... anyone....

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much though. When he says one thing you can probably expect the other.

nothing wrong with any of that for me. of course he wants to be involved higher up, who wouldn't? if he gets in a position to be considered for jobs higher up it means he's done well with us.

he was honest and i'd rather than than him pretending Southend is his dream job. it's not, it's his job and i hope he does it well

Indeed not- but its Groundhog Day again. The Brown haters hear what they want to hear and draw conclusions to suit leaving many of us perplexed as to whether somehow we only heard half the interview or something.

Ask him a question he gives an answer. If he said I have no comment many would then take that, speculate and then simply make up all the facts to suit.

Lower league manager wants to manage/work in the Premiership/at England level shock..

Having watched that clip you're all massively overreacting. All he really said was that he'd jump at the chance to manage England or Sunderland. Both are massive career progressions compared to managing our club.

Yes he does flirt a bit too much for my liking with certain vacancies that come up. But being realistic he's not gonna get offered anything beyond a bottom half Championship management role unless he has further success with us.

I'd also wager he probably knows that too.

Over react? Allow the facts to get in the way of a rant? No..

Don't forget here that Sunderland excel at making dismal managerial appointments- think Roy Keane,Geordie Steve Bruce,Di Canio and now they even seem to be considering Moyes!

I do think there is a good chance that PB will be involved in the England set up either full or part time. Presuming that Sam has full control of who he works with then considering that he (allegedly) wanted PB to join him at Sunderland then it is highly likely that an offer will be on the table. With regards to the Sky interview although it irritates that Phil Brown always says he wants to be somewhere in a higher profile he is really just being honest.

Back