• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Razam

Coach
Aplogies if this has been posted elsewhere.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26869288

"Southend United boss Phil Brown has urged the club to follow through on their promise to build a new stadium.

Shrimpers chairman Ron Martin has had plans for a new ground for 15 years, with work expected to start next month.

"The chairman has brought me to the club to get promoted. That's the deal, and I accept the deal," Brown told BBC Late Kick Off East.

"I'm just hoping he accepts my side of the bargain, which is to start building a new stadium."
Southend finally received permission to build a 22,000-seater stadium in 2008, with their new home to be built at Fossetts Farm, a location behind the club's current training ground.

But the move has been an ongoing saga, with the financial crisis and issues with the local council meaning construction start dates have been perpetually delayed.

If the move goes ahead, the Shrimpers' current home at Roots Hall will be knocked down to build a supermarket.
Brown, who managed Hull City in the Premier League, agreed to take over at League Two Southend on the proviso that a new stadium was forthcoming.

His side are currently among the play-off contenders, and he believes the Essex club can return to the Championship for the first time since 2007 - but only if the long wait for a new home comes to an end.
"The play-offs were part of the remit when I did the interview with the chairman," he said. "It's to go hand in hand with the building of the new stadium.

"When we cut the first sod, which we're hoping will be next month, it's a 12 to 14-month building project so you're hoping to be in a higher division, if not two. That's the deal on the outside looking in.
"The stadium is part and parcel of why I'm here. I've been involved at Bolton, Derby and Hull, who have all built new stadiums, and Preston, where they were rebuilding inside the walls of the stadium.
"You'd be amazed at what a new stadium can bring.

"It doesn't get rid of your history, it just enhances your history and certainly enhances your future.
"It would be crazy for me to come all this way down in divisions if there wasn't a bigger plan to get promoted and then to go forward as a bigger football club."

Fossetts Farm: The stadium that might be

_66754216_fossetts.jpg

• A new stadium for Southend United was first considered in 1999
  • Plans shifted a few hundred yards from a site on the club's Boots & Laces training ground to Fossetts Farm, but developments stalled in 2001
  • Developments regained traction in 2006, with supermarket giant Sainsbury's agreeing to provide funding in return for the current Roots Hall site
  • Planning permission was given in 2008 for a 22,000-capacity stadium
  • In April 2013 the plans hit a new roadblock, as Southend and Sainsbury's reduced the amount of money they were willing to contribute to town-centre development, which was part of the deal with the local council

plus does anyone know what that surprise visit was about - can't watch vids at work :sad:

Should this be merged with the "Good news to come?" thread where this is already being discussed?

So when he leaves at the end of the season he can say "Ron never kept his side of the bargain , i'm off ":unsure:

So when he leaves at the end of the season he can say "Ron never kept his side of the bargain , i'm off ":unsure:

I was thinking the same..

As some have said, if actual building was to begin in May/eary June, the signs would be there already. The contractor would have been appointed (the one was supposed to appointed 3 weeks ago, no news). The contractor would be recuriting - no hints of that. Not a whisper!

To be honest the construction industry is very busy at the moment , so my guess is that any price they put in for this job will be hiked up to reflect the risks involved , after all we have not got the greatest record when it comes to paying people.

This appears to be a veiled threat form the Manager to the Chairman. "I"ll keep my side of the bargain, you keep yours or else"
May be the Manager is covering all the bases

Before any "work" begins an access road for site vehicles has to be made. That will be the first sign of things moving forward.

Can it start before the end of the season ticket renewal period ,so I know that I haven't been done by Ron's promises again
!

Thought that was a really nice little video there; "Can I call you Phil?"... PB: "Of course you can, its only the players who cant call me that!"

Last edited:

Wouldn't blame him if that were the case. Who hasn't Ron fed false promises to? The man has no morals.

I was thinking the same..

As some have said, if actual building was to begin in May/eary June, the signs would be there already. The contractor would have been appointed (the one was supposed to appointed 3 weeks ago, no news). The contractor would be recuriting - no hints of that. Not a whisper!

Same here!

Can it start before the end of the season ticket renewal period ,so I know that I haven't been done by Ron's promises again
!

maybe Ron is waiting for the season ticket money to pay for the diggers and spades... :winking:

Back