• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Phil Brown was first offered chance to come back to Southend United 'midway through season'

Why don’t we just leave it there. No more finger pointing at RM or PB.

We’re all on the same side, so I’m backing Phil to get us out of this mess.

Blue Army!
Fair point Floval ! Brown sticking pins already into the predecessor, itll be players next. But for 6 games i can put up with tango man and all the prima dona strutting.
Maybe i'll just choose to blot out the rubbish he spouts in the press and concentrate on the match experiences.

Reactions: Jai
Fair point Floval ! Brown sticking pins already into the predecessor, itll be players next. But for 6 games i can put up with tango man and all the prima dona strutting.
Maybe i'll just choose to blot out the rubbish he spouts in the press and concentrate on the match experiences.

Whatever you may think of their respective managerial talents, there is a huge gulf in the professionalism of Phil Brown and MM, and it showed in the 'new' manager's first conference. Why did PB have to reveal he was being sought by the Chairman months before he got the job? I can never imagine MM acting in such an unprofessional way, and the players will know this before the rest of us. Let's hope Phil Brown can now walk the talk in the next six games and keep Southend in Division 2.

Having said this, I am encouraged that Phil Brown said he is working closely with Ricky Duncan and Craig Fagan in the new set-up. As others have commented, it would be good to see RHF in a central striker's role and Rush at least on the bench.

Whatever you may think of their respective managerial talents, there is a huge gulf in the professionalism of Phil Brown and MM, and it showed in the 'new' manager's first conference. Why did PB have to reveal he was being sought by the Chairman months before he got the job? I can never imagine MM acting in such an unprofessional way, and the players will know this before the rest of us. Let's hope Phil Brown can now walk the talk in the next six games and keep Southend in Division 2.

Having said this, I am encouraged that Phil Brown said he is working closely with Ricky Duncan and Craig Fagan in the new set-up. As others have commented, it would be good to see RHF in a central striker's role and Rush at least on the bench.
If rush isnt on the bench tomorrow it says that RD and CF think he isnt good enough (yet) and we should forget him as an option.

Just watched the Brown podcast, very interesting and its clear he has a lot of feeling for the club, the story about Ron catching him up at Manchester airport before he was flying out to J'berg and convincing Brown to join us made me smile, he talks of Ron as a maverick like character but wont have a bad word said about him.
I didnt realise Craig Fagan was part of the Hull side that was forced to sit on the pitch.
His insistance on the failure to replace Steve Kavanagh was a downfall was interesting too, its been largely agreed with over the years on here.
Its a huge fixture against Crawley, i'm backing Brown to get the job done, no problems in the dressing room to contend with, all in this together.. cmon Southend

some people need to wake up ,Football is a business and a chairman /owner of a club will do and say whatever he deems neccassary at the time to make ? help his club become successful. Look at Chelsea ,how many managers have they hadsince the Russian took them over and i bet he has said the same things many times over .Im just glad RM did nt ask that Spammer for advice this time .

I don't care whats fair and what aint as long as our club stays up i believe Phill brown can do it we need some boll#cks in that changing room if we go down at least its with a fight under him,roll on today col u lost let's put the heat on ?

Strange how some on hear slated M M on this site saying he was not up to the job .And when Ron for all his faults saks him and replaces him with Phil Brown who some where shouting from the roof tops should be brought back .Well you got what you wanted so dont knock it .If we survive be happy Ron did the right thing when he could .

Every single fan knows that MM would have been sacked in December if that run of good results had not happened. MM and all his staff knew it, so did all the players.

Most fans were demanding Ron took action....After all not only were we certain to go down, we would not survive as a club......Shock horror Ron did something about it. Just like every chairman that as ever been in charge of any professional club, anywhere in the world would do in the same 2 points so far, lose 6-1 to your rivals would have done.

Good to see fake PB outrage news is back.......And we haven't had the first game yet.

Last edited:
Just watched the Brown podcast, very interesting and its clear he has a lot of feeling for the club, the story about Ron catching him up at Manchester airport before he was flying out to J'berg and convincing Brown to join us made me smile, he talks of Ron as a maverick like character but wont have a bad word said about him.
I didnt realise Craig Fagan was part of the Hull side that was forced to sit on the pitch.
His insistance on the failure to replace Steve Kavanagh was a downfall was interesting too, its been largely agreed with over the years on here.
Its a huge fixture against Crawley, i'm backing Brown to get the job done, no problems in the dressing room to contend with, all in this together.. cmon Southend
I really hope everyone on SZ watches this. It's a brilliant interview.

Every single fan knows that MM would have been sacked in December if that run of good results had not happened. MM and all his staff knew it, so did all the players.

Most fans were demanding Ron took action....After all not only were we certain to go down, we would not survive as a club......Shock horror Ron did something about it. Just like every chairman that as ever been in charge of any professional club, anywhere in the world would do in the same 2 points so far, lose 6-1 to your rivals would have done.

Good to see fake PB outrage news is back.......And we haven't had the first game yet.

Excellent post - don't understand the criticism of our chairman on this. Crikey the Col U chairman brought somebody in and then swapped again within a few weeks.

Well said, IMO MM should have gone after the Port Vale defeat. Everything that improved during December was ripped up by some strange tactics during January.

If MM had scrapped the stupid tippy tappy football earlier in the season, then not persisted with 5 at the back, we may have more points on the board than we do now and he may still be in the job.

I personally think it was shocking that he hung most of our young players out to dry in that Colchester defeat.

The thing is, we know what PB is like. If someone else isn’t managing his ego, then he does it himself. That said I don’t think there was any malice in what he said or disrespect meant towards MM.

I always liked Phil when he was our manager before, I really like his tenacity and passion and although I feel a lot of empathy towards MM, that’s what’s going to (hopefully) keep us up.

Yep, MM was a total professional but sometimes you need a bit of a b’stard to get you out of a tricky situation.

I do often question RMs choices, but this had to be done!

Based on today that might not be the best idea

If Ron thought that the manager needed replacing 1/2 way through the season, why wait for PB to become available and until it is as good as too late? Surely he should have found someone else sooner if he felt the manager was useless?

Also i am sure I have read somewhere that PB contract is only till the end of this season?
Is this true would anyone know?

Also i am sure I have read somewhere that PB contract is only till the end of this season?
Is this true would anyone know?
I think this is more to do with what league we are in creating a very different scenario in terms of investment, budgets et al. So rightly the focus is on the 6 game.

If Ron thought that the manager needed replacing 1/2 way through the season, why wait for PB to become available and until it is as good as too late? Surely he should have found someone else sooner if he felt the manager was useless?

Its more likely one of Rons many and numerous Covers he utilises for his rear end?

Back