• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I agree that Brown had lost the squad and so needed to go but Kiernan aside those players were all good whilst he was here so that's not really a mark against PB, Macca declined under PB towards the end but I don't think any of the others did. Oxley has always been a confidence player (he was awful when he first arrived) but Brown turned him into our player of the season, it's not his fault other managers haven't figured out how to get his form back. Cox was great until this season. Demitriou is now 32, and full backs tend to decline early since they are expected to contribute both going forwards and at the back these days (although since Sol converted him to a midfielder he's looked decent).

He always was a midfielder, never understood while anyone thought he could defend.

I'm a big PB fan, think he did a great job here and that a section of our support didn't like him from the off and it would have taken something exceptional for them to warm to him. He was badly let down by a lot of the players but as a manager the buck does stop with you for assembling a group that didn't respond to him or future managers!
I think Sol will ultimately be successful but if a situation arose where PB came back into the fore I would not be disappointed.

The only thing I had against Brown was his approach when other jobs came up and the way he behaved.

I didn't always agree with everything he did but ultimately we were a decent side with him in charge and at the right end of the table.

PHIL Brown believes player power ultimately led to his departure at Southend United.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:
FORMER Southend United manager Phil Brown has revealed Simon Hooper admitted he was wrong not to award the Shrimpers a penalty in the 2015 League Two play-off final.

More...

FORMER Southend United manager Phil Brown has revealed Simon Hooper admitted he was wrong not to award the Shrimpers a penalty in the 2015 League Two play-off final.

More...

Plus they scored from a free kick when Timlins tackle was a perfectly good one. Still made the day and the drama all worth it......Still brings a smile to face now.

More...

At least he awarded us some free kicks, which is more than the pillock who reffed the Crewe game at Wembley did?.
IIRC we didn't get a solitary free kick throughout the game?. If that stat is correct, surely it must be a record?.

PHIL Brown feels Will Atkinson would not have been allowed to leave Southend United had the Shrimpers still had a chief executive.

More...

FORMER Southend United manager Phil Brown admits it took him time to get to grips with living in the south of the country.

More...

The trouble with Brown is, whilst I think he was a good manager for us - his record speaks for itself - he also spent vast sums of money on old duffers, which we’re still feeling the effects of, today.

There’s certainly pitfalls to rehiring Brown. He likes to spend in bulk, he’s a marmite character with the fans, and his ego has seen him clash with other egos within the club, which has caused problems on the pitch.

but there are also positives. He consistently made us competitive in Lg2. We were competitive in Lg1 aswell, narrowly missing out on the Play-offs. He - along with Ron’s financial backing - undoubtedly got us punching above our weight.

Something tells me it would be a bad idea, but I can also see the merits.

My preferred choice is still Fagan though.

Last edited:
I wouldn't actually mind that much if he came back. He might have gone for too many old players for the first team, but he was also a major factor in the club as a whole starting to take the already capably-run academy more seriously and bring more youngsters through from it. He put out a fit side that on the whole played good football. Brown/Fagan combo?

Back