• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

FFS, I wish everyone would stop arguing on this matter of who is/was the best manager.
In the last 11 years we have been to 5 Finals at National stadiums, made the play offs a few times, suffered relegation twice (not a positive I know) drawn with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, beaten the European champions and been on a roller coaster ride that fans of virtually all league clubs can only dream of and all three of the managers responsible need the recognition they earned and all of them in their own way deserve equal praise for their achievements for our club.

Ron Martin is the only constant through it all!!!!! Do we dare credit him at all.......now there's a question

Ron Martin is the only constant through it all!!!!! Do we dare credit him at all.......now there's a question

It is an interesting question. I have to say that in Tilson, Sturrock and Brown he has picked three very competent managers and not many chairman do that. Generally he has backed his managers and has never rushed to make knee-jerk decisions. The exception for me was the horrific 09/10 relegation where our financial difficulties--players not paid, no money for signings-- pretty much assured relegation to the bottom tier. That for me was a real shame because Tilson up to that point had been an absolutely fantastic manager for us. That second relegation proved a big 'black mark' on an otherwise highly promising career. If Brown ever moves on I'd love to see Tilson come back to manage us again in L1 and get a decent shot at redemption.

Or do others over complicate the question? A win percentage may not always tell the story, can be said of any stat in football. I prefer to say something like.....who put a trophy in the cabinet.....who took us up etc. these are facts where as constant speculation on budgets etc is a bit pointless. Would love to have the precise squad spend in black and white though.

Nope. I think you're looking at this too simplistically. You always have to take conditions into account.

It is an interesting question. I have to say that in Tilson, Sturrock and Brown he has picked three very competent managers and not many chairman do that. Generally he has backed his managers and has never rushed to make knee-jerk decisions. The exception for me was the horrific 09/10 relegation where our financial difficulties--players not paid, no money for signings-- pretty much assured relegation to the bottom tier. That for me was a real shame because Tilson up to that point had been an absolutely fantastic manager for us. That second relegation proved a big 'black mark' on an otherwise highly promising career. If Brown ever moves on I'd love to see Tilson come back to manage us again in L1 and get a decent shot at redemption.
Really interesting question, and without being too indelicate I hope that if Tilly does come back under those circumstances he brings Brush with him, otherwise we wouldn't be comparing eggs with eggs. Plus, I genuinely think Tilly without Brush would not get such good results.

Nope. I think you're looking at this too simplistically. You always have to take conditions into account.

Where as I believe too many overcomplicated. Luggy first season granted was amazing how he turned a shambles of a club into something ok. The rest was job not done. Brown got us up....job done.

Not surprised to see Judas Fry up there, not only do his stats look good but, IMHO, we played our best ever football under him.

Where as I believe too many overcomplicated. Luggy first season granted was amazing how he turned a shambles of a club into something ok. The rest was job not done. Brown got us up....job done.

So now you're being inconsistent. It seems to me that you're prepared to take the circumstances into account, but only when it suits your argument.

For example, you admit that PS did an amazing job UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES in his first season. But then ignore the fact that he had his budget cut season after season.

Brown got us promoted because we are now in a relatively stable financial state. He has built on the foundations put in place by PS.

Frankly there are so many variables in this that simply saying who scored the greatest percentage of points is far too simplistic.

So now you're being inconsistent. It seems to me that you're prepared to take the circumstances into account, but only when it suits your argument.

For example, you admit that PS did an amazing job UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES in his first season. But then ignore the fact that he had his budget cut season after season.

Brown got us promoted because we are now in a relatively stable financial state. He has built on the foundations put in place by PS.

Frankly there are so many variables in this that simply saying who scored the greatest percentage of points is far too simplistic.

Not arguing at all....my point is you're either pregnant or your not.

Ok, you've completely lost me now.

You and I can easily dissect each season....the who the where and the why of it all and of course there are reasons for either success or failures. But let's say I am a hull supporter and decide to see how former gaffer brown is doing.....he could look at those figures and Wembley coverage and say he is better than sturrock....he has no idea how it happened or why etc. the score charts only say one thing......I believe Yeovil won a game last night one nil but did not register one shot on target...according to Sky sports today. Yet the results page says one nil......you see...they won....doesn't matter how, they won. Stats mean a lot to most but not much to those who have witnessed how said stats were laid down.

Brown would have needed a budget of over 3million. The fact he used less money when taking inflation into account shows what a good job he done

Back