• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The players have to take some, if not all of the responsability. They performed heroics, especially going forward. The same core midfielders and attackers have played during the recent poor spell and these performances have not been continued. Now, they cannot argue about being tired - other teams are playing in the same conditions, also they have enjoyed a nice little sunshine break as well. They lapped up the plaudits when the were winning and now they have to dig deep and find that level of performance again. Now of course we have had to tinker because of injuries, but even as an attacking force the levels of performance have fallen well off.

Saying that, I still think that actually once we experiance a win again, we can easily go on another run, this league is so finally matched, that all teams pretty much are almost identical in regards of ability and actually its only the mentality of winning and losing that seperates a large percentage of the teams in this division.

No of course it doesn't. What he does with his evenings is up to him. It's not like he's making Coughlan take training because he's the other side of the country being a pundit.

No of course it doesn't. What he does with his evenings is up to him. It's not like he's making Coughlan take training because he's the other side of the country being a pundit.
This is very true... Im assuming a little , but he is probably living down here on his own,away from his family, so after training etc he has plenty of so called spare time, so when he gets the time, to go on these things, he probably jumps at it ( I lived in Dubai,with my family back in UK , and jumped at any chance to get out doing things)

The positive side , is that his profile gets us more mentioned than the performances on the pitch do....which cant be a bad thing in my eyes... or can it??

I see Phil has hot footed it up to London after this afternoon's game to appear on Channel 5's football show at 9pm.

Lets all have a wager about the amount of times he has used the phrase "clean sheet mentality" or "if the truth be known"

I see Phil has hot footed it up to London after this afternoon's game to appear on Channel 5's football show at 9pm.

Lets all have a wager about the amount of times he has used the phrase "clean sheet mentality" or "if the truth be known"
"Brutally honest!" as well.

Blimey, gonna have to turn doon the contrast on the Tv.

......AndyT could have a field day with this if he's watching?.

He's just come out with a belter regarding another team, I was genuinely in shock!

"You shouldn't just sit back on 1-0 and allow yourself to drop deeper and deeper, because then you're kinda protecting something you haven't quite got yet"

Has he not been watching what I've been watching over the last 4 years?

He's just come out with a belter regarding another team, I was genuinely in shock!

"You shouldn't just sit back on 1-0 and allow yourself to drop deeper and deeper, because then you're kinda protecting something you haven't quite got yet"

Has he not been watching what I've been watching over the last 4 years?

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

He never actually wants us to drop deep, the players do it anyway

So he persists with players who take no notice of him? Or he says what the fans want to hear. Personally I don't believe a word he says. Especially "we always try and play football the right way" - as we hoof another ball up to the isolated front two.

Who is in charge then - the captain?

So he persists with players who take no notice of him? Or he says what the fans want to hear. Personally I don't believe a word he says. Especially "we always try and play football the right way" - as we hoof another ball up to the isolated front two.

It's not a conscious decision, players worry about conceding so they creep further and further back. All players in all teams do it, not just ours under Phil Brown

No and its a petty and poor thing to pick up on to beat him up with. Funny how no one cared when we were winning games when it didnt seem to affect us.

He doesnt need to spend 24 hours a day working on Southend. What exactly would he have been doing for Southend when commentating on an evening game?

Criticise him for what matters, the poor performances.

Yeah, agree whole heartedly. In fact, he comes across as genial unlike some of the more morose managers. The fact that Southend's man gets the invite can only be good for the club.

It's not a conscious decision, players worry about conceding so they creep further and further back. All players in all teams do it, not just ours under Phil Brown

So what is the point of Brown being on the touchline then?

Was it an unconscious decision to replace an attacking midfielder in Wordsworth with a defender, John White, against Wimbledon?

How about White coming on for McLaughlin against Blackpool or Hendrie coming on for Wordsworth at ten-man Fleetwood?

The message to the players in these substitutions from the management is clear: hold onto what you've got.

I'll be honest - The 3 managers i was most excited about when they were 1st announced as SUFC boss were Bobby Moore , Ronnie Whelan & Peter Taylor . Sadly they all turned out to suffer a really really bad time with us .

Whereas i was quite disgusted at the prospect of Phil Brown taking over from good old Paul Sturrock . Its taken me about 4 years to warm to him but as much as often his decisions frustrate me , he's generally doing a pretty decent job , and having him fly the SUFC flag in the media is a good thing , so carry on PB , and good luck! :clap:

Back