• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
Well, the monstrously incompetent Bulldog have really outdone themselves this time by closing my account and disconnecting my phone line... because they failed to put a £99 credit in my account which they've owed me since January.

To be honest, part of me is quite pleased to be no longer procuring services from the useless f*ckers. However, this does leave me with the rather daunting proposition of having to find a new ISP who can also provide me with a phone.

So, good people of ShrimperZone, which broadband company should I go for to provide me a new broadband and phone service? I'm looking for something with relatively quick speeds (4MB min), not too fussed about downloading caps as I'm not a mega downloader - so it needs to be reasonably priced and in a package with a phone line. Finally, if their call-centres were staffed with persons of average intelligence, as opposed to simpletons of breathtaking stupidity, that would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Matt

i work for an isp and though whist i cant recomend them to you(no bundled packages) i must stress dont go to talk talk!

Matty

Matt i recently went through this same procedure after escpae Pipex Homecall. After doing a great deal of research i came to conclusion that you do honestly get what you pay for.

I went with ADSL24 http://www.adsl24.co.uk/

Who are a reseller of Entanet, they are in the top ten of most reviews http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php

http://www.dslzoneuk.co.uk/

Basically the company are based in the UK and you actually get James who owns the companys mobile number (You dont get better service than that). Its a 30 day contract, it has no P2P throttling with Downloads like alot of ISP's are now doing, but you do pay for the privilege. I have the Home30 package which is £19.99 per month.

As for the phone i have gone back to BT, for £13 quid a month we get free evening and weekend calls, the rest i use my free mins on my mobi.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the TalkTalk advice, I'll steer a wide berth.

Andy - some good stuff there, looks like I'm going to have to get nasty with Bulldog to make sure they cough up the £52.88 I need to transfer to the new company.

Matt

hmm, wierd, been with talk talk for nearly a year, and have had no problems (except for when we lost internet for a day while they doubled the speed...valid i feel), and no phone bills over £28...plus they also gave me a cheque for £30 odd to cover the cost of leaving BT... and you get Nectar points

On a similar question, How are Sky as an ISP? I'm moving into a house with 5 other lads in September and We're looking at getting the Sky TV/Broadband/Phone package... Anybody heard anything regarding them?

we have talk talk and it's fine. better than AOL anyway!

girlfriend has just got the sky package and she said they were helpful and it was easy to set up

Will have to second ADSL24, although I don't personally use them , plenty of people at work do and definately sing their praises. Personally, I'm with PlusNet (www.plus.net) and have been since 2002 - very pleased, although this is just for BB. Have thought about moving to TT, but the ADSL migration to TT gives me nightmares - especially as I work from home 3-4 days per week and cannot do without a break in service.

In my opinion most ISPs are as bad as one another, you just gotta have real bad luck to get a cr@p service

Have TalkTalk and its alot better than Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange, have always got a connection unlike the above where I was lucky to have a connection for half hour

Finally, if their call-centres were staffed with persons of average intelligence, as opposed to simpletons of breathtaking stupidity, that would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

You'll have that problem with all of them. If you pay peanuts....

In laws use talktalk, took 10 months from signing up to actually get connected plus lots of problems getting the phone line activated.

As far as I know they have had no problems since but as they are very light users probably wouldnt even realise....

$hit! - My mum has just signed up for Talk Talk. Supposed to be going live today...

How does that song go "There may be trouble ahead......"

Hurrah and huzzah. I've managed to get hold of the Bulldog employee whose turn it was to use the company brain-cell today.

:D

I'm not going to be cut off... so I will still get to have broadband provided by them. Phew! I might even be able to do some front page updates now...

Back