• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don,t know whether this is possible on this site think it would be a great addition,but for a long time have wondered if anyone has thought of setting a photo archive up or is there one already somewhere?. For the younger posters todays images are just a click of a phone away,but was thinking more 50s,60s,70s,80s,90s etc before they are lost forever.Having seen a number of supporters own pics Lincoln 70s/anglo italian outings/Webbys promotion think a supporters based collection would be great with any old memento's possibly old unusual press clippings etc.
Could be done in decade form I suppose

The Southend United Supporters Club band from http://www.southendband.com/bandhistory.asp

historysupportersband2.jpg

historysupportersband3.jpg

historysupportersband4.jpg

historysupportersband.jpg

Strangely enough whilst clearing out my cupboards etc at the weekend I came across lots of old photo's from the late 70's, 80's & 90's that I took at Roots Hall. Brought back some great memories especially of the terracing in the West and open air terracing of the South

Anyone know where this picture was taken. It's not The Stadium or Roots Hall. The picture dates from 1958 according to the Southend Band website.

I suppose now we have a drum in the West Stand the Southend United Supporters Club Band lives on!

Probably the Kursal

I think Tinks is right, the picture does look a bit like the Kursaal ground. I believe the pitch was stil there until the early 1960's. I was told by an old boy at my work that the wood from the old stand was use to build one of the rides!

I think this pretty much echos our convo earlier Badger .. spooky that we replied at exactly the same time though :scared:

i'm pretty certain its the Kursaal but what would the band be doing playing their 20-30 years after we stopped playing there ??

After studying the picture I am pretty sure Lee.
There were only 3 places the club has played at Greyhound stadium, Kurasal & RH. It is def not RH, highly unlikely the Greyhound Stadium so can only be the Kursal.
I would ask Creako, but even his long term memory is fading these days

Great to see pictures of the old grounds particularly the Kursaal. I visited Southend Stadium a number of times as a kid with my dad to see the greyhounds, the man at the winning post used to give me the photo finish pictures!

The picture in post 5 looks to me like 'The Rec' the former ground of Grays Athletic as up to the early 80s the house in the corner still had the letters painted on it to place the half time scores from around the country.

i'm pretty certain its the Kursaal but what would the band be doing playing their 20-30 years after we stopped playing there ??

No I'm pretty sure it's not the Kursaal the houses are not those that were/are around the Kursaal also the pitch & goalposts had long gone by then. There is Pathe news footage of the Kursaal from the 1950's showing some of the rides & you cant really make out where the ground would have been. Maybe Peter Miles or Dave Goody will have an idea?

It could be a non-league ground somewhere, but I don't think it's anywhere in Southend.

Strangely enough whilst clearing out my cupboards etc at the weekend I came across lots of old photo's from the late 70's, 80's & 90's that I took at Roots Hall. Brought back some great memories especially of the terracing in the West and open air terracing of the South

Can you scan & post any of those photos on here? There seem to be very few photos of the old South Bank especially ones taken by fans.

Back