• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Photos to reminisce

Some really good photo's. I am always fascinated by these. So much have changed over the years especially Vic Circus. I never knew there was a temp footbridge to get over the old round about.

Theirs a lot of mention of Garons on their but being only 25 I only know Garons as the sports centre.

Also there's the off picture of Keddies on there as well. I used to love going in there when I was very young. Have a very vague memory of it.

Some really good photo's. I am always fascinated by these. So much have changed over the years especially Vic Circus. I never knew there was a temp footbridge to get over the old round about.

Theirs a lot of mention of Garons on their but being only 25 I only know Garons as the sports centre.

The Garons family were instrumental in the formation of Southend. They had a bakery in the late 19th century, then early 20th century they had shops galore...

http://www.southendtimeline.com/garons.htm

when Harry Garon died the whole town paid respect

The Garons family were instrumental in the formation of Southend. They had a bakery in the late 19th century, then early 20th century they had shops galore...

http://www.southendtimeline.com/garons.htm

when Harry Garon died the whole town paid respect

really I never knew that.

Really great pics. Spent the last hour at work looking at them (don't tell my boss) and it does kind of make you want to live in southend back on those days.

Great Pictures. The change at the top of the high street from the beautiful looking Victorian buildings (Victoria Hotel (became Barclays bank) and the Garons building (Vic circus / plaza) into the monstrosities they became is truly tragic.....

Great Pictures. The change at the top of the high street from the beautiful looking Victorian buildings (Victoria Hotel (became Barclays bank) and the Garons building (Vic circus / plaza) into the monstrosities they became is truly tragic.....

I agree. also the end of Victoria Avenue by Vic Circus is a a deserted road with empty high rise buildings. Looking back at those pictures it used to look very nice and well kept. Massive shame.

I don't remember the Garons they show in the earlier photos, I do remember there being a bakery and also a banqueting suite down the High Street somewhere, and also, of course, the Garons that was above the Victoria precinct. The Garons family were an instrumental part in Southend's history and provided a function suite for many a "dinner and dance" back in the day.

I loved seeing the buses in colour, the old blue and cream Southend Corporation ones and the green and cream Eastern National ones. As my mum never drove till we were much older, we used to spend a lot of time on buses going to visit people and places.

Loved looking through some of those old photo's. Some were before my time but I certainly remember Southend from the late sixties onwards.
Good to see the Ritz cinema there - which is now part of the royals.

Loved looking through some of those old photo's. Some were before my time but I certainly remember Southend from the late sixties onwards.
Good to see the Ritz cinema there - which is now part of the royals.
Yep, the car park! The hotel is what became the Royals. I remember pedestrianisation of the High Street and them building Deepings but I've not got too many memories before that of the town.

Most of my vivid memories are from "The Catapillar" ride at the Kursal - only because my dear old mum used to work there and had to take me to work with her everyday.
The 3 "play" things in Vicotoria Circus precint also stand out for me along with Dixons on the corner.
Love looking at those old photo's

victoris circus.. the epitomy of 60's modernistic destruction of victorian masterpieces..
still much as i'd love to wlk down those stuunning wide traffic free boulevards.. im not so sure
i'd want a drafty house with no central heating, having to get a bus everywhere, everything being shut on a sunday
and halfday thursday, tb blah blah etc etc .. loved the MTB's parked up at the pier and some of those motors.. they all looked gleaming as well

Great nostalgia and a reminder to all not to fall for things just because their fashionable. The 60s knock it all down as it's old has destroyed many a town and Southend was no exception. The ring road BTW was going to be extended across the High Street about where the Royals is, through Cliff Town and up by Park Road to join with the roundabout up by Nazareth House. Add to that that there was the plan for the Motorway along the seafront through Old Leigh (the council had started buying up houses for demolition). Youngsters might think this is a fantasy but there is no greater vandal than a local Council. Knocking down a number of these buildings especially the Victoria Hotel was despicable.
Still our esteemed leader of the Council Nigel Holdcroft still wants to knock down things. Leigh police station (the old Leigh Town Hall) and the Edwardian Community centre. There are still mad politicians about. Be warned.
PS Garon's grave is just to the left in Sutton Road cemetery. Quite a monument.

Back