• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Who would you pick in the team of the Tilson era?
Mine would be
Daryl Flahavan (one of only a few keepers we have seen under Tilson and some amazing performances)
Duncan Jupp (his runs down the wing, his tackles, his goal v Lincoln to send us up)
Adam Barrett (Southend legend, works his socks off and is up there with Spinner for best Southend Centre back)
Leon Cort (only played under Tilson for 7 months but was a great defender, excellent at heading)
Steve Hammell (great attacking runs, good freekicks and set pieces, Chamionship standard, wish he'd been happy down south)
Mark Gower (fantastic winger, the flare player we need now and was with Southend all the way up)
Kevin Maher (do I need to explain? Southend legend, captained the team on the rise up, treated unfairly in my opinion)
Nicky Bailey (hate his attitude but what a player, great passer, tackler, long distance wondergoals)
Carl Petteffer (decent player, worked hard and was everpresent in the league 2 playoff 04/05 season)
Freddy Eastwood (You know why)
Shaun Goater (feed the goat and he will score, great partner for Freddy, scored lots when he was in his late 30s imagine him at his prime and the standing ovation in his last game)
Subs
Adam Federici (his recent form for Reading could make him our top scorer, great keeper and his 80 yard kicks)
Lewis Hunt (for his verstitlity and his Brummy accent. Didn't deserve to be released in my opinion)
Mark Bentley (worked hard, bubbly midfielder could get forward and defend as well, similar to Christophe but better)
Alan McCormack (never stops running, always gets stuck in, good passer)
Drewe Broughton (Dddddddrrrrrrreeeeeeeewwwwwwweeeeeee)

Last edited:
(At their best):

Flavs
Jupp Sodje Barrett Hammell
JCR Maher Guttridge Gower
Eastwood Goater*

* - For the partnership

--------------------Flavs------------------------

Francis------Sodje------Dervite-------Mulgrew

-------Kightly------Bentley---Bailey--------

------Freddy----Freedman------Goater-----

Flahavan
Jupp
Prior
Barrett
Mulgrew
Campbell-Ryce
Maher
Bailey
Bentley
Eastwood
Freedman

Subs: Federici, McCormack, Goater, Sodje, Laurent

Wasn't Gower signed by Wignall ?

Flahavan
Jupp
Prior
Barrett
Mulgrew
Campbell-Ryce
Maher
Bailey
Bentley
Eastwood
Freedman

Subs: Federici, McCormack, Goater, Sodje, Laurent

Wasn't Gower signed by Wignall ?
Yeah he was but Tilly didn't sign Maher, Cort or a few others in some peoples team but they played under Tilly

..................Federici.......................

Jupp.......Clarke.......Prior......Mulgrew

JCR........Maher.......Bailey.....Gower

........Eastwood.......Freedman........

Now that's a great line-up...

Matt

gk;feds

lb; mulgrew
cb;barrett
cb;prior
rb;francis

lm;gower
cm;bailey
cm;macca
rw;jcr

cf;the goat
st;freddy

subs
cort
flavs
maher
L clarke
kightly

Mildenhall
Hunt
Harding
Prior
Dervitte
Bailey
Guttridge
Bentley
Gower
Eastwood
Barnard

Matt

Have to agree with that, it's the line up I'd just worked out after spending a little while thinking about it, well, almost, I'd have Flavs in goal - I'm sure he'd have kept more clean sheets at his best than Feds did for us.

Subs though? Mine would be Federici, Sodje, McCormack, Hunt and Goater.

Matt

Think I would go with that, but maybe Hammell for Mulgrew

This is the lad's team - too lazy to come and do it himself!

----------------------Flavs---------------------------

----Franno-----Clarke------Barrett-----Hammell-------

--JCR------Bailey----Maher----McCormack---Gower---

-------------------Eastwood-------------------------

Subs: Federici, Sodje, Christophe, Freedman and Barnard

..................Flavahavan.......................

Jupp.......Clarke.......Barrett (c)......Mulgrew

........Eastwood.......Goater........

From all the feedback I heard about Federici it appears he was the best keeper to play for us under Tilly. However I never saw him in a Southend shirt so have plumped for Flavs.

Eastwood and Goater I have as a pairing because I think Freddy learned so much from the Goat and clearly enjoyed playing alongside him - and as we know a happy Freddy Eastwood is a goalscoring one.

Was torn between Prior and Barrett but opted for AB because Spinner's place in my affections is mainly from when Tilly was his team-mate and not his boss. Barrett will always be a legend in my eyes purely for wearing his heart on his sleeve when he plays for us. He's not neccesarily the best captain in terms of playing ability but he is the best on field leader we've had under Tilson. So not only is he in the team but he also takes the armband over Maher (just).

Federici

Jupp
Mulgrew
Barrett
Prior

Bentley
Gower
McCormack
Bailey

Eastwood
Freedman

Subs:
Sodje
Flahavan
Maher
Goater
Campbell-Ryce

Flavs

Jupp
Clarke
Prior
Mulgrew

JCR
Bailey
Mccormack
Gower

Eastwood
Freedman

subs:

Federici
Barrett
Sawyer
Maher
Goater

My main finding from that process is the alarming lack of wide options- almost had Macca at RW (partially because I would have loved to have seen Bailey and Sawyer in the middle together)

Back