• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pietersen gone?

I think the biggest problem here is Sky Sports News and their increasing willingness to report rumours as fact which can be changed throughout the day. With the Robinho affair and now this, I find it hard to believe any breaking news they have on unless there is an actual credible source.

The second biggest problem is that KP was portrayed by whatever sources as leading a mutiny but when it appears that none of the other senior players were with him in this mutiny, it is just an ego trip. It was obvious from the start that Pietersen wouldn't be happy to bite his tongue and knuckle down - everything he said and has done suggested this. The problem occurs when he's not the voice fo the team but the voice of himself.

I don't know how the team will react to this. Captains trying to step down to non-captaincy roles often leave confusion in the players over leadership, not to mention having to respect the leadership of someone who previously was one of your charges. Maybe someone with a less of a self-aggrandising approach like Vaughan could manage it after a break. Can Pietersen manage it straight off?

By the by, there's little doubt in my mind that Pietersen will captain the side in the future when we get desperate again. I thin Strauss is the only option really but I worry that if he has another catastrophic dip in form, this might really hurt the team. It's actually quite a damning reflection on the team when you realise that so few players have a genuine influence on the team. I would say Collingwood and Panesar are the sort of personalities that could never really do a great job of captaining but of the remaining 8 there should be at least one other credible option.

I think the biggest problem here is Sky Sports News and their increasing willingness to report rumours as fact which can be changed throughout the day. With the Robinho affair and now this, I find it hard to believe any breaking news they have on unless there is an actual credible source.

The second biggest problem is that KP was portrayed by whatever sources as leading a mutiny but when it appears that none of the other senior players were with him in this mutiny, it is just an ego trip. It was obvious from the start that Pietersen wouldn't be happy to bite his tongue and knuckle down - everything he said and has done suggested this. The problem occurs when he's not the voice fo the team but the voice of himself.

I don't know how the team will react to this. Captains trying to step down to non-captaincy roles often leave confusion in the players over leadership, not to mention having to respect the leadership of someone who previously was one of your charges. Maybe someone with a less of a self-aggrandising approach like Vaughan could manage it after a break. Can Pietersen manage it straight off?

By the by, there's little doubt in my mind that Pietersen will captain the side in the future when we get desperate again. I thin Strauss is the only option really but I worry that if he has another catastrophic dip in form, this might really hurt the team. It's actually quite a damning reflection on the team when you realise that so few players have a genuine influence on the team. I would say Collingwood and Panesar are the sort of personalities that could never really do a great job of captaining but of the remaining 8 there should be at least one other credible option.

Very well thought out and difficult to disagree with anything you say apart from the fact that after all this, the powers that be won't forget all that has happened (and the media would scupper it at almost every turn if they did0 and Pietersen will never captain England again.

There are comparisons with when Botham was appointed in 1980 (albeit against one of the best sides ever, West Indies) as the best player in the team and lost very badly. This was very early in Sir Ian's career and after he resigned (after being told he was being sacked anyway) after the 2nd Ashes Test at Lord's in 1981, further controversy followed him and he was never asked to skipper the side again.

Thanks for the laugh as well, have to agree that the thought of Monty taking charge of any side just cracks me up...:)

Very well thought out and difficult to disagree with anything you say apart from the fact that after all this, the powers that be won't forget all that has happened (and the media would scupper it at almost every turn if they did0 and Pietersen will never captain England again.

There are comparisons with when Botham was appointed in 1980 (albeit against one of the best sides ever, West Indies) as the best player in the team and lost very badly. This was very early in Sir Ian's career and after he resigned (after being told he was being sacked anyway) after the 2nd Ashes Test at Lord's in 1981, further controversy followed him and he was never asked to skipper the side again.

Thanks for the laugh as well, have to agree that the thought of Monty taking charge of any side just cracks me up...:)

It's an interesting one. Pietersen wasn't exactly magnificent as captain although he did show form to suggest he can play a bit under that pressure. That he's jumped rather than be pushed should work in his favour as should the likeliness that in 2 years time he'll still have c.50 averages in both tests and ODIs.

If the ECB re-shuffled though, it's easy enough for them to suggest there were past mistakes in the old regime and get him back. Likewise, the new coach will probably reserve the right to pick his own captain at the next juncture possible and if they have a better relationship with Pietersen, it just might work perfectly.

The idea of Monty captaining is really quite funny although he has at least toned down the crazy celebrations and can actually field a bit so he's slightly more credible than a year ago!

KP has his say on the affair in his News of the World column:

'I was dumped by a 5-minute telephone call and an email'

So, with KP losing his job as skipper and Moores losing his as coach, if KP is correct in his ascertations, who is going to go from the ECB?

Having got Marcus Trescothick's excellent autobiography for Christmas, I was struck by the amount of times that he was undone by leaks to the media. If he is truthful in what he says, it seems that KP has suffered in a similar manner.

KP has his say on the affair in his News of the World column:

'I was dumped by a 5-minute telephone call and an email'

So, with KP losing his job as skipper and Moores losing his as coach, if KP is correct in his ascertations, who is going to go from the ECB?

Having got Marcus Trescothick's excellent autobiography for Christmas, I was struck by the amount of times that he was undone by leaks to the media. If he is truthful in what he says, it seems that KP has suffered in a similar manner.

Was that written by Paul Newman, the journalist who set the ball rolling for the whole Capey saga? I have read it, but can't remember who ghosted it.

Was that written by Paul Newman, the journalist who set the ball rolling for the whole Capey saga? I have read it, but can't remember who ghosted it.

Tresco's autobiography was ghosted by Peter Hayter, who I think ghosted his columns for a Sunday newspaper throughout his England career.

Back