• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pietersen gone?

number11

"Good morning everybody........"
Reports are suggesting Pieterson has stepped down as captain following his row with Peter Moores.

This seems to have been prompted by reports both were to be sacked. With the ashes coming up this year I find it a shame as I wouldnt really want our best batter disrupted or unhappy with his place in the team and would have backed him over Moores all day. Ive always found it puzzling that Moores has got away without much criticism from the media despite the fact we are only now above the poor W.Indies, Kiwi's and non playing Pakistan, have lots our last two major home series and yet when he took over we were serious contenders for the top spot.

Ah sorry!

Pretty massive decision. Reading the editorial on cricinfo, they make the good point that he is really being removed from the job not for poor results or lack of runs, but for bad manners. I know they can't let him rid roughshod over English cricket but if he wants changes to enhance England as a team and bring some toughness back to our game Id have liked ECB to have backed him rather then force this to save Moores some dignity.

It is unfortunate as I would have liked to have thought that Moores was on his way out anyway given his run of poor results. Unfortunately KP would appear to have gotten to big for his boots in this one. Would much rather have KP as captain and no Moores but can't see the selectors standing for this. If they do back KP it will be extremely short sighted.

Bit in the Grauniad mentioned that Morris, the MD of English Cricket, is an old friend of Moores and once captained him for England Schoolboys.

Next captain can only be Andrew Strauss.

The only other option is to drop Bell and bring in Robert Key as captain, which I wouldn't be too worried about if that did happen.

Problem with Strauss is he is not a starter for the one day side. We're gonna have another Vaughan situation here if thats the case.

Key at least did a reasonable job opening the batting for Kent in the one-dayers last season, at least until the FPT final.

Next captain can only be Andrew Strauss.

The only other option is to drop Bell and bring in Robert Key as captain, which I wouldn't be too worried about if that did happen.

I wouldnt be too worried with that either....Strauss has been overlooked several times and smacks of being merely the best of a bad bunch. Though equally wouldnt mind Vaughan slipping back into it ;) Loved the idea someone had when it looked like KP would stay and we would need a new coach.....Vaughan for coach and coming onto the field as 12 man / sub fielder to dispense his captaincy pearls without having to take a place in the team!!

Out of interest what do people think Englands best XI is?

I'll stick my k0ck on the block first and go with

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Harmison
Sidebottom
Panesar

Those pushing for spots

Key, Bopara, Shah, Anderson, Swann.

Vaughan I think will need to score some runs on the county circuit again before he will get a look in.

Out of interest what do people think Englands best XI is?

I'll stick my k0ck on the block first and go with

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Harmison
Sidebottom
Panesar

Tough one...are we assuming the match is in typical English seaming conditions against one of the top 3? If so Id have to lose one or both of Collingwood and Bell. If it was to win a test match here and now Id go with Shah in for Bell, and Anderson in for Sidebottom (I have a feeling he may not play again and Id be quite happy with that!).

So Id have Strauss, Cook, Shah, KP, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff (interchangeable depending on form) Broad, Harmy, Anderson and Panesar.

If I was picking a team to play first match in the Windies Id also bring in Bopara for Collingwood to give him a whole series in a winnable series.

My heart would like to see Vaughan in there, but head says he wont be back to good enough again.

Sounds to me that they are desperately trying to get one or both of them to re-consider.

Seems to be the case. Nothing like trying to keep your house in order...and the ECB certainly dont do that!

Back