• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pikey/Cheap food that is actually ok?

My main issue with Aunt Bessies stuff (Not that I use it) is that its all stuff that you can make easily yourself.

aunt Bessies yorkshires ( Would take you 2 mins) aunt bessies roast spuds ( 5 mins).

Does not taste as good and there is no satsisfaction from just throwing it in the oven.

But so quick and easy - the giant Yorkies are great too, grab something gravified from the freezer and chuck it in. Roast spuds take a bit longer than that, peel, then parboil, then roast - good 45 mins all told whereas hers are 25 mins.

Oh and pizzas? Cheese on first and last hence why the Dr Oetker ones are good as a base!

Sorry I had it wrong way.

I like toppings last as that way less chance they slide off down your top where as the Mrs thinks they should go next to the tommy sauc which is silly.

Ok, Im with you then. The toppings definately on last, so you get to taste them more and can see what toppings you are going to get on each slice, so when dividing it with the missus you can give her the slices with less topping..... Not sure it stops them falling off as much as they will be on top rather than encased in cheese, but the toppings next to the Tommy sauce is not right.

But so quick and easy - the giant Yorkies are great too, grab something gravified from the freezer and chuck it in. Roast spuds take a bit longer than that, peel, then parboil, then roast - good 45 mins all told whereas hers are 25 mins.

Oh and pizzas? Cheese on first and last hence why the Dr Oetker ones are good as a base!

Thing is if you having roast spuds then your probably having a roast dinner.

If you doing that then for my mind you cna write off 2/3 hours anyway if your doing a proper one so a bit of time here and there doing the spuds is no hardship.

Again with the Yorkies it is easy but they dont taste right do they. Not like if you had made them yourselves.

I absolutely love the Dr Oetker mushroom pizza, use it as a base, chuck some chopped red peppers and maybe a few other bits and pieces (prawns are good), add some more cheese and there you go. Anything in the Aunt Bessie range is also really good, the mash is brilliant stuff, we also swear by Birds Eye Chicken Dippers!

Honestly Kay, that sounds grim lol. I don't like any of them things tbh, but cheese and prawns mixed? That just sounds wrong!!

:puke

Big fan of Batchelors' Super Noodles.

Tesco Value After Eights are surprisingly nice for a wee treat. Tesco Value Plum Peeled Tinned Tomatoes are perfectly adequate too.

There are some things, however, where only the original, brand label will do:

* Heinz Baked Beans
* Heinz Tomato Ketchup
* HP Sauce
* Ribena
* Coca-Cola

I'm sure there are loads more, but those 5 are non-negotiable for me - I accept no substitutes...

Matt

Home made Pizza is cheap, easy and far exceeds any of the boxed crap you find in a Supermarket...

As far as pikey foods, I agree with MtS on the Coca-Cola (Although Pepsi is just as good). Own brand Coke is nasty and I'm pretty sure it's the root cause of spontaneous human combustion.

The Branston baked beans will give Heinz a run for their money, and currently two four-packs for £2.25 in Morrisons. And Pepsi is the far superior fizzy!

Morrisons value garlic bread at 40p a stick is fine too. Tescos value curry pot noodle was superb, not least because it stripped the lining from your throat but they were selling too many, so they have substituted a watery concoction.

Sainsburys 9p value noodles.

Asda Smart Price 24p Beef Ravioli.

Pretty much everything in the Waitrose essentials range.

it's their value range which is pretty cheap and basic, but very good.

True dat.

The Leigh Waitrose is fantastic. I was expecting the carpark to be crammed with expensive 4x4s but it is actually quite quiet.

Last edited:
it's their value range which is pretty cheap and basic, but very good.

Totally agree, my mate who is in the trade, basically an account manager for Discovery Foods, said that the Essential range has been so successful for Waitrose. Also proves by making savings on packaging and elsewhere you do not need to compromise on the quality of the food.

I love cheap cuts of meat, although it does seem more and more are turning on to these cuts as well, so not as cheap as they once were.

My gastro guilty pleasures are Corn beef mashed with salad cream, and Spam Fritters n Chips.

Asda Smart Price Bacon is just as good as anything else - if you know what to look for in a good bit of bacon. Other than from the butchers.

Asda Smart Price Baked Beans on the other hand!

I much prefer Tescos or Morrisons own brand peanut butter to any name brand.

And I have yet to discover any significant (OK, the odd stalk but hey!) difference between value sultanas from any supermarket and the double-in-price branded packets. Which is perhaps why the value is often sold out.

Asda Smart Price Bacon is just as good as anything else - if you know what to look for in a good bit of bacon.

Do you actually cook this or do you like shrivelling up to nothing with all the nasty pumped in stuff bleeding out as white gunk in the pan?

Whenever I cooked with this, which i will grant you is not often, i found it to shrink quite a lot, and I am no fan of crispy bacon, so the bacon is in and out of the pan quite quickly.

There are some things, however, where only the original, brand label will do:

* Heinz Baked Beans
* Heinz Tomato Ketchup
* HP Sauce
* Ribena
* Coca-Cola
You can add Kellogg's Corn Flakes to that list as well. Own brand corn flakes have a rather slimy feel to them once the milk has immersed them.

Back