• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Pitch Conditions

Depor_Shrimper

First XI
Here's a thought on last night . . .

Is it right that clubs who have pitches that resemble beaches are allowed to improve their squad over the transfer window rather than devote more resource (financially) to the quality of their pitch? They are gaining a huge benefit every time they play on that surface as it is so different to most in the football league? Wouldn't it be reasonable for the football league to impose footballing restrictions until the quality of their playing surface improves especially if they have had funds available to spend elsewhere?

Here's a thought on last night . . .

Is it right that clubs who have pitches that resemble beaches are allowed to improve their squad over the transfer window rather than devote more resource (financially) to the quality of their pitch? They are gaining a huge benefit every time they play on that surface as it is so different to most in the football league? Wouldn't it be reasonable for the football league to impose footballing restrictions until the quality of their playing surface improves especially if they have had funds available to spend elsewhere?

Seriously?

The pitch was fine up until the snow just before our Norwich game - it they became waterlogged (due to clay and poor drainage) and cut up badly during our humbling to Norwich. Since then it has rained on and off so hasn't had the chance to dry out.

One thing bugs me though is that all your fans (and quite a lot of ours) admit that Scannell was man of the match last night and he was running at pace with the ball up against our defence all night- he seemed to cope without ANY problems last night on the same pitch? Laurent too seemed to be able to run quite freely too - It seems that the pitch, whilst it was A factor, wasn't the sole cause of your defeat, more the fact that your strikers didn't make the correct runs and your midfielders couldn't put the ball through to them well enough.

I also think that the pitch was a disgrace but there's no getting away from the fact that both teams play on the same surface. It's all a matter of adapting to the conditions and while they may get used to it by playing on that cabbage patch every other week, Col Ewe are more adept at it because they are a long ball team. There's no right or wrong way of playing football (although I think they're "style" may go some way to explaining their dreadfully low attendances) and I think we just need to accept that we didn't adapt to the conditions well enough.

The pitch was shocking last night but some pitches were like that in the english game right into the 90's. Both teams had to play on it but its jst that col ewe adapted better to it with there long direct balls rather than our passing game. And at the end of the day we cant blame for the pitch for everything. Yes the pitch played a part in both their goals but we have only ourselves to blame for our poor play in their final 3rd.

Sour grapes, the referee inspected and okay-ed the surface, end of. You've got more pressing problems like keeping your heads above the relegation zone and the tax man.

Sour grapes, the referee inspected and okay-ed the surface, end of. You've got more pressing problems like keeping your heads above the relegation zone and the tax man.

Can someone neg rep this **** for me? I accidentally gave him green :headbang::dim:

He only okayed it coz he had come all the way down from Durham to ref the game! Even he didn't wanna come back to your pokey little dive of a place!

With a little "persuasion" from Sky.

If we had played on a proper pitch our "pressing problems" may have been eased a bit by three points.

One thing I don't think even a Col U fan can argue is that our style of football is more pleasing on the eye. The Sky pundits spent most of half and full time highlighting the fact, and even Kevin Watson the Col U pundit.

No disrespect to Col U but I'd much rather see us play a passing game every week than go direct. I'm not having a go at Boothroyd, each team has to play to their strengths but it must go a little way to explaining the attendances I think.

At the end of the day though good football doesn't automatically mean success, look at Arsenal as the best example. Unfortunately for us they took their chances and we didn't, though personally I think we've got enough about ourselves to be fairly comfortable in mid-table come the seasons end.

Back