• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Planning for Roots Hall.

lombard

Youth Team
Residents of roads surrounding Roots Hall, have received a notice from Southend Council regarding the building of 502 (flats/houses) on Roots Hall. It seems that they want to start work on the site ASAP ? They have until 21st January for comments and objections.

Start work as soon as possible eh?

That sounds good but I would have guessed that having a ground for Southend United to move into would be high up in the order of priority.

Perhaps it is just that consultation processes can be long drawn out affairs and so it is best to get these started quickly.

I have read a few reports that the UK birth rate last year was at its lowest for a century.
Also net migration from the UK very high.
Might the housing shortage be becoming a thing of the past and might the whole RH and FF be "hit for 6" umless it is really pushed ahead with?
Reasons to worry?

I have read a few reports that the UK birth rate last year was at its lowest for a century.
Might the housing shortage be becoming a thing of the past and might the whole RH and FF be "hit for 6" umless it is really pushed ahead with?
Reasons to worry?
I think it needs to drop by several million before housing shortage is a thing of the past. In particular with people more likely to be migrating out of big cities, housing somewhere like Southend will likely be quite popular.

Reasons to worry?

I think you'd need to see several years of decline before it would become a trend and housing targets adjusted. According to the plan the new stadium will be built by then - could cause a slowing of the build rate for the later stages of the project

Reasons to worry?

Not sure where you got your stats but the UK population has risen dramatically in last couple of decades. House building has been much lower than it was in the 60's etc. The country hasn't built enough just to cover the shortage let alone the increase.

In many recent years the net migration has been 300,000+. Thats two towns almost the size of Southend......Every year.

Of course now that Great Britain will boom after Brexit, whilst the EU slides into the financial crisis. Even more people will want to come to our shores.

London Councils are always actively looking for properties to rent for their tenants. I am quite sure that if Southend can't fill these properties for itself, then our London Councils will willingly take up the shortfall.

One of the councillors getting his objections in in the Echo. Remember to not vote for him at the local elections!

I'll put my full weight (and that's now quite substantial after Xmas and during a lockdown) behind the plan, when somebody explains to me exactly how it's going to benefit Southend United.

One of the councillors getting his objections in in the Echo. Remember to not vote for him at the local elections!

Interesting he should be so against it. His ward (Prittlewell) covers Roots Hall and surrounding area. You would have thought most of his constituents would be pleased to see the back of it.

Or is he just against it personally regardless of his constituents?

Interesting he should be so against it. His ward (Prittlewell) covers Roots Hall and surrounding area. You would have thought most of his constituents would be pleased to see the back of it.

Or is he just against it personally regardless of his constituents?

He's against it because he's the opposition. That's the nature of the opposition in politics. Unless they're in power and have the great idea themselves, it's ****.

He's against it because he's the opposition. That's the nature of the opposition in politics. Unless they're in power and have the great idea themselves, it's ****.

Don't really see what our planning application has got to do with his opposing political party though.

Back