• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron will sort this, just the way he has sorted all the other calamities on this journey to the promised land!! Bottom line, he needs to complete on Fossetts Farm to re-coup the money he and others hav invested. The accepted wisdom is that Sainsburys can't start developing RH until Fossetts is done and if there were get out clauses on either side they would have been used by now. God knows there have been enough opportunities to do so after the past few years. We will never know the full mechanics of all this mess, so it's time for another deep breath and more on to Oxford.

Ever thought, Ron takes us into admin, Southend Utd disappears forever, Ron builds his nice new hotel & Sainsburys get the nice new shiny supermarket on RH site....................... I often wonder if this is viable, cos it seems Ron will never build the stadium & the loss of the football club from the map eases his way to the Ron Martin Hilton Plaza complex

Why would he have built up all that debt paying off the taxman if he wanted us to go under?

If that was his intention then that was the time for us to fold.

Ron will sort this, just the way he has sorted all the other calamities on this journey to the promised land!! Bottom line, he needs to complete on Fossetts Farm to re-coup the money he and others hav invested. The accepted wisdom is that Sainsburys can't start developing RH until Fossetts is done and if there were get out clauses on either side they would have been used by now. God knows there have been enough opportunities to do so after the past few years. We will never know the full mechanics of all this mess, so it's time for another deep breath and more on to Oxford.

He has sorted everything else out by borrowing from Sainsbury.

Unfortunately they will bail out the second they can, which will be when 3 sides have been built, which makes you wonder how we will ever finance building the main stand.

I am a qualified planner (never been employed by Southend Council so have had nothing to do with the application), so to me this is an interesting situation.

To trace this back, we need to go to the minutes of the Council's development control committee on 10th April 2013, which approved the revised proposals (remember the schedule of reduced town centre payments etc.) and planning permission is granted once a formal legal agreement has been entered into (what's known as a section 106 agreement). Having just re-read the minutes, there is an interesting line there that says:

In the event that the planning obligation referred to in part (a) above has not been completed within 3 months of the resolution to grant planning permission such that planning permission would have been granted, then the Corporate Director for Place or Head of Planning & Transport be authorised to consider whether permission should be refused on the grounds that it has not proved possible to complete a S.106 agreement within an appropriate timescale, and that the proposals are unacceptable in the absence of the obligation that would have been secured; if so, the Corporate Director for Place or Head of Planning & Transport are authorised to determine the application and agree appropriate reasons for refusal under delegated authority

Given that the resolution to grant planning permission was granted way back in April, the 3 month deadline to get it all tied up legally expired back in July.

If we have signed the legal agreement, then planning permission is granted and we've got 3 years (from the date of permission) to start building.

If Ron and his team are still trying to negotiate on some of the fine details, then if he upsets the chief planner at Southend BC, I read it that they can simply refuse planning permission and then we're really in trouble!

The simple question for Ron is - did the s.106 legal agreement get signed?

I am a qualified planner (never been employed by Southend Council so have had nothing to do with the application), so to me this is an interesting situation.

To trace this back, we need to go to the minutes of the Council's development control committee on 10th April 2013, which approved the revised proposals (remember the schedule of reduced town centre payments etc.) and planning permission is granted once a formal legal agreement has been entered into (what's known as a section 106 agreement). Having just re-read the minutes, there is an interesting line there that says:

Given that the resolution to grant planning permission was granted way back in April, the 3 month deadline to get it all tied up legally expired back in July.

If we have signed the legal agreement, then planning permission is granted and we've got 3 years (from the date of permission) to start building.

If Ron and his team are still trying to negotiate on some of the fine details, then if he upsets the chief planner at Southend BC, I read it that they can simply refuse planning permission and then we're really in trouble!

The simple question for Ron is - did the s.106 legal agreement get signed?

Well if it did, then Ronnie would of been shouting it from the rooftops?...

He has sorted everything else out by borrowing from Sainsbury.

Unfortunately they will bail out the second they can, which will be when 3 sides have been built, which makes you wonder how we will ever finance building the main stand.
You may well be right, and a three sided stadium will be seriously weird, but if/when we get to that position it will mean that SUFC still exists as an entity as is still playing professional football, hopefully in Div 2 minimum. Nobody on this site wants the club to carry on the way they are, but it is what we have at the moment. I genuinely believe that if the worst comes to the worst and what you fear happening happens, then some group with the right amount of cash will come to the rescue. But I have always been an optimist!!

Ron Martin now needs to be honest . Now there is a term the he does not understand HONEST .He has lead the fans up the garden path straight into a blind alley with all his lies and spin .It seems as if its all going to end in tears for the fans of this once proud club .:sad:

Ron Martin now needs to be honest . Now there is a term the he does not understand HONEST .He has lead the fans up the garden path straight into a blind alley with all his lies and spin .It seems as if its all going to end in tears for the fans of this once proud club .:sad:

Maybe there's a problem with his sat nav.

Given that it may be difficult to get a straight answer from the chairman regarding this matter, I have sent the following e-mail to the case officer for the planning application:

Dear Ms Galforg

I was a supporter of the above application which was discussed at the Council's development control committee on 10th April 2013. I noted that the delegated authority was given to grant planning permission subject to the completion of a section 106 agreement. I also noted from the minutes the following paragraph:

"In the event that the planning obligation referred to in part (a) above has not been completed within 3 months of the resolution to grant planning permission such that planning permission would have been granted, then the Corporate Director for Place or Head of Planning & Transport be authorised to consider whether permission should be refused on the grounds that it has not proved possible to complete a S.106 agreement within an appropriate timescale, and that the proposals are unacceptable in the absence of the obligation that would have been secured; if so, the Corporate Director for Place or Head of Planning & Transport are authorised to determine the application and agree appropriate reasons for refusal under delegated authority"

As we are now well past the 3 month date referred to, I am assuming that the application must be in one of the following three states:
  1. The legal agreement was signed and planning permission has been granted
  2. The legal agreement was not signed and officers exercised their delegated powers to refuse planning permission
  3. Negotiations are ongoing with the applicants and the final decision is still pending
Are you able to please let me know the current state of play? If it is number 3. has there been any deadline set for completion and is it imminent?

If I lived in Southend then I'd fire something similar at my local councillor - those of you who do may want to do this as they are your representative on the Council!

Well a few of the experts on here said lets keep waiting 3 years ago. Hope they've enjoyed the downward spiral leading to a slow painful death of SUFC.

We should of boycotted when Ron pulled the plug on league 1 which would of forced his hand into selling. Would of been a short term pain for a long term gain.

Is it ok everyone the stadium is to start within days. Ron said so back in...............

Well a few of the experts on here said lets keep waiting 3 years ago. Hope they've enjoyed the downward spiral leading to a slow painful death of SUFC.

We should of boycotted when Ron pulled the plug on league 1 which would of forced his hand into selling. Would of been a short term pain for a long term gain.

So instead of doing a slow painful death, lets all boycott the games cutting the main stream of income and make it a quick effortless death. Sounds good!!

You may well be right, and a three sided stadium will be seriously weird, but if/when we get to that position it will mean that SUFC still exists as an entity as is still playing professional football, hopefully in Div 2 minimum. Nobody on this site wants the club to carry on the way they are, but it is what we have at the moment. I genuinely believe that if the worst comes to the worst and what you fear happening happens, then some group with the right amount of cash will come to the rescue. But I have always been an optimist!!

It will exist but it will have no means to move on.

We wont be able to afford to build the main stand which was meant to be a money spinner.

How will our crowds be affected by a stadium which will be the laughing stock of the country?

I do hope someone with money would come in, but what would be their incentive? Ron came in to make money from the development, a buyer in that situation would simply come in to have to spend millions just to get us on our feet.

Love the optimism though!

It will exist but it will have no means to move on.

We wont be able to afford to build the main stand which was meant to be a money spinner.

How will our crowds be affected by a stadium which will be the laughing stock of the country?

I do hope someone with money would come in, but what would be their incentive? Ron came in to make money from the development, a buyer in that situation would simply come in to have to spend millions just to get us on our feet.

Love the optimism though!
Truth is neither of us will know for sure until we get there! And I'll carry on being an optimist because there nothing that I can do to materially change the club's current situation apart from buying a ticket and supporting the team in whatever shaped stadium they play in....works for me.

So instead of doing a slow painful death, lets all boycott the games cutting the main stream of income and make it a quick effortless death. Sounds good!!

He'd sell the club before it went under.

Back