• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Planning Updates- All The Latest Details. 28/03/2022

Meridian News are doing a short bit on the planning approval in their 6pm bulletin (near the end). I know this because I used to work there and the producer asked me who he should interview from “the supporters’ club.” I suggested someone from the Shrimpers Trust and contacted Paul and Kay (who was unavailable) but it seems nobody was free at such short notice. I also tried PM-ing the Shrimperzone hierarchy and True Blue Scott but with the same lack of success. In desperation they asked me to do a recorded interview as back up which sadly it seems they will use. They also set up an interview with someone who was opposed to the new stadium but they were a no-show though there is a zoom interview with a councillor. I haven’t seen my contribution but unless it is really skilfully edited I apologise in advance for the mumbling old git you may see. If you do, please be gentle with your criticism. There’s nothing you don’t know in the item and needless to say they didn’t ask about Ron’s trip to Westminster.
Apologies, I would have been up for it but have not been on the zone since Monday

Given this seemed such a pivotal moment in the future of the club it has been weirdly silent. No statements, no fanfare, nothing on the official site. I know Ron has had some distractions but all the same.

Given this seemed such a pivotal moment in the future of the club it has been weirdly silent. No statements, no fanfare, nothing on the official site. I know Ron has had some distractions but all the same.
Probably because we're not quite over the line yet.

The decision of SBC is positive and in our favour but there are a couple of other hurdles to get over too:
  1. SBC have to refer this to the Secretary of State as it's over 1,000 square metres of development in the Green Belt. Once he has received all the information from SBC he has 21 days to decide whether or not to direct refusal of the application (highly unlikely) or to call it in for another planning inquiry (reasonably unlikely as we've already had one, albeit for a different development).
  2. Should the Secretary of State not do either of the above, the Council and the Developers have to sign a Section 106 legal agreement which will legally bind them to doing all kinds of things (e.g. paying money for highway improvements) - you can read the whole list here: https://democracy.southend.gov.uk/documents/s46903/Appendix 3 - Fossetts Farm - S106 HoTs.pdf
  3. We need to submit (and have approved) an application for a temporary training facility. If you read the phasing document, the new permanent training centre is not planned for completion until 2026, only the pitches are being laid now. The timescale to get this in and approved by Rochford BC (assuming that's where it will be located) is pretty tight if it's to be approved before the S106 is signed.

Only after the section 106 agreement is signed will we have planning permission to commence the development. Interestingly the decision made by the council says:

"In the event that the agreement.....has not been completed before 31st January 2022 or an extension of this time as may be agreed by the Director of Planning and Head of Planning and Building Control to refuse planning permission for the application"

The fat lady is certainly warming up, but she's not singing just yet.

The decision of SBC is positive and in our favour but there are a couple of other hurdles to get over too:
  1. SBC have to refer this to the Secretary of State as it's over 1,000 square metres of development in the Green Belt. Once he has received all the information from SBC he has 21 days to decide whether or not to direct refusal of the application (highly unlikely) or to call it in for another planning inquiry (reasonably unlikely as we've already had one, albeit for a different development).
  2. Should the Secretary of State not do either of the above, the Council and the Developers have to sign a Section 106 legal agreement which will legally bind them to doing all kinds of things (e.g. paying money for highway improvements) - you can read the whole list here: https://democracy.southend.gov.uk/documents/s46903/Appendix 3 - Fossetts Farm - S106 HoTs.pdf
  3. We need to submit (and have approved) an application for a temporary training facility. If you read the phasing document, the new permanent training centre is not planned for completion until 2026, only the pitches are being laid now. The timescale to get this in and approved by Rochford BC (assuming that's where it will be located) is pretty tight if it's to be approved before the S106 is signed.

Only after the section 106 agreement is signed will we have planning permission to commence the development. Interestingly the decision made by the council says:

Exactly. And before premature celebrations on the stadium arguably we would all like to see all focus on what id happening on the pitch and associated recruitments..

Last edited:
After 13 years of FF, so many planning ideas of cinemas, hotels, retail and now housing I won't get excited until I see concrete going in to the ground, only then will I finally believe we will get what must be by now the longest awaited new stadium in history (23 years and counting)!

Exactly. I before creature celebrations on the stadium arguably we would all like to see all focus on what id happening on the pitch and associated recruitments..
True, but then nothings done until the fundings in place, then nothings done until the building starts, then nothings done until its open, then nothings done until the 4th stand is built. All milestones that I would have thought worthy of mention and given there are nearly 900 posts on this thread alone the fans think its important.

After 13 years of FF, so many planning ideas of cinemas, hotels, retail and now housing I won't get excited until I see concrete going in to the ground, only then will I finally believe we will get what must be by now the longest awaited new stadium in history (23 years and counting)!

It's been a lot longer than that. It was 1st mooted by Vic Jobson in around 1984, 37 years ago. At one point he was trying to build it on Garons Park where the golf course now is, but the council decided to use the land for their own benefit by building the golf course and swimming pool.

In fact, many years ago when Vic bought Boots and Laces I had a 1-1 meeting with him (very long story relating to me being banned from owning a season ticket by him) where he mentioned buying Boots and Laces from Access with the very long term view of building the stadium there.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the training facility situation. It would not surprise me at all if this situation led to a delay.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the training facility situation. It would not surprise me at all if this situation led to a delay.
Indeed - it was buried deep in the report and in the phasing info.

True, but then nothings done until the fundings in place, then nothings done until the building starts, then nothings done until its open, then nothings done until the 4th stand is built. All milestones that I would have thought worthy of mention and given there are nearly 900 posts on this thread alone the fans think its important.
I think as soon as it clears the Secretary of State we will start seeing spades in the ground. That will be the point for celebration. I don't think the SoS is going to hold it up personally- firstly because given the size of the dev there really are astonishly small numbers of objectors. The plans were agreed by all political group leaders on the Council. And frankly if he went against all that and did something perverse there would be zero chance of the housing targets in Southend being met and that would be for ever and a day referred back to his decision.

I think as soon as it clears the Secretary of State we will start seeing spades in the ground. That will be the point for celebration. I don't think the SoS is going to hold it up personally- firstly because given the size of the dev there really are astonishly small numbers of objectors. The plans were agreed by all political group leaders on the Council. And frankly if he went against all that and did something perverse there would be zero chance of the housing targets in Southend being met and that would be for ever and a day referred back to his decision.

Exactly. I see this aspect as a formality.

Okay I won’t celebrate yet then. If we get a result, any positive result, on Saturday can I celebrate that ? Or do I have to wait until it’s mathematically impossible to be relegated ? ???

I think planning permission is already in place for part of it? Maybe the 4 pitches? Perhaps I read that wrong but if it is the case, then quick planning permission for an additional temporary training building shouldn't be too arduous to get?

If secretary of state passes with flying colours and work start soon after.... Ron has then created a window opportunity where he can sell the club. with whats going on in his personal life and I'm sure his health has taken hit over the last few years, I feel its time for Ron to exit.... for the good of the club and the fans.

Back