• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Planning Updates- All The Latest Details. 28/03/2022

having been involved and spoken at council meetings in support of the Grand one comment from a senior planning officer stuck in my head when I complained that the council seemed to take more notice of objectors than supporters of a planning application. She said that a planning application should stand on it's own merits. Does FF have merit. i think so and I think the Council will agree.

With it taking so long, surely every stone has been left unturned to ensure all planning regulations have been met to everybody’s satisfaction. The clubs collaboration with a now more cooperative council who can see greater benefits from both these applications compared to past ones, and the need for a positive outcome, will surely mean the planning officers report should only be presented with a recommendation for approval.
You'd like to think so...

This BBC interview with Carol Mulroney suggests that the chamber and public gallery will be open?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-58851237
Yes, the public gallery will be open but numbers are restricted as the Council Chamber is still subject to distancing requirements.

Just to make everyone aware, members of the public, unless they are objectors to, or supporters of, an application previously notified, are not allowed to address the DCC.

Heckling, shouting or cheering from the public gallery is not tolerated and anyone doing so can and will be removed by either SBC security or the police at the direction of the Chair.
It is not uncommon for the police to have a presence at meetings where disruption is possible and Southend nick is only a short step away... But, of course, I know Shrimpers are generally very well behaved.:LoyalSupporter:

Last edited:
Yes, the public gallery will be open but numbers are restricted as the Council Chamber is still subject to distancing requirements.
Thanks mate - so my earlier comment applies: whatever space there is we don’t want to be filled with NIMBYs and ‘Roots Hall Forever’ Shrimper luddites to the exclusion of supportive voices.

I think the council want and need the houses/flats as much as RM , so I don't really see a stumbling block there.
Absolutely spot on it's a win win situation Council get the housing they are under pressure to deliver and we get the stadium we need.The only snag I could see would be some restrictions that the council would impose or more delays.I hope I am wrong and we can move on a more confident outlook for the club and town

Thank you for providing the latest update re the Fossetts Farm and Roots Hall planning applications.

If both plans are approved by the DCC on the 25th, due to their large size, will they still have to be approved at a Full Council meeting or is that hurdle not necessary and SOS approval required before we see the final green light and construction begin?

The DCC performs a statutorily 'formal administrative' role and it's decisions are not subject to Full Council once they have been made by that Committee. The minutes of the DCC have to be formally agreed at a Full Council meeting and any minute can have questions asked on it but the DCC decision can not be overturned, so in effect, yes, a decision in favour made by DCC would be green light as far as SBC is concerned.
If DCC approves then SoS has to be informed as it is a major development that is not detailed in the current local plan, the SoS then has a window in which he/she can decide to call it in, possibly for public inquiry, approve or decline.

There are some scenarios here which are open to conjecture and on which I will not comment further:-

DCC, if it is not happy with everything before it and feels there is not enough to make a decision can opt to defer the decision until satisfied that any shortfalls have been addressed. Unlikely with all the detail that has been gone into but never try to second guess a DCC...​
SoS could take view that this application is materially similar, just the removal of retail and replacing with housing, to the previous application which went to public enquiry and was approved so therefore why would he waste money by repeating the exercise?​
SoS is under pressure to approve housing so would he wish to delay a major housing project based around the skeleton of a previous public inquiry approval?​
Is SoS a Man Utd fan and still harbouring a grudge for us beating them and call it in to spite us? :Winking: I understand the current SoS is a QPR fan so we're probably safe on that one. :Smile: Not a material planning issue so extremely unlikely but, again, never second guess a SoS. :Facepalm:

Could I ask that someone posts the link for the benefit of all supporters who wish to view it at the appropriate time thanks

Does anything need to be approved by Rochford council?

According to Ron on the Zoom call last week, no. Apparently the training ground and pitches already have permission, unless I misunderstood.

He seems very confident that the training ground will start being built Q1 next year. Obviously that has to be built first otherwise the team won't have anywhere to train when Boots and Laces is turned into a building site.

There was also a reason why he's not started yet. It was something to do with extra parking spaces I think, but I didn't follow that bit...I was trying to listen whilst working.

Does anything need to be approved by Rochford council?
Great point. That seems to have flown under the radar in all of this. Part of the plans utilise land under their jurisdiction, so you'd assume so. Perhaps they'll let SBC take the lead and if they approve, they'll do likewise as a formality.

The DCC performs a statutorily 'formal administrative' role and it's decisions are not subject to Full Council once they have been made by that Committee. The minutes of the DCC have to be formally agreed at a Full Council meeting and any minute can have questions asked on it but the DCC decision can not be overturned, so in effect, yes, a decision in favour made by DCC would be green light as far as SBC is concerned.
If DCC approves then SoS has to be informed as it is a major development that is not detailed in the current local plan, the SoS then has a window in which he/she can decide to call it in, possibly for public inquiry, approve or decline.

There are some scenarios here which are open to conjecture and on which I will not comment further:-

DCC, if it is not happy with everything before it and feels there is not enough to make a decision can opt to defer the decision until satisfied that any shortfalls have been addressed. Unlikely with all the detail that has been gone into but never try to second guess a DCC...​
SoS could take view that this application is materially similar, just the removal of retail and replacing with housing, to the previous application which went to public enquiry and was approved so therefore why would he waste money by repeating the exercise?​
SoS is under pressure to approve housing so would he wish to delay a major housing project based around the skeleton of a previous public inquiry approval?​
Is SoS a Man Utd fan and still harbouring a grudge for us beating them and call it in to spite us? :Winking: I understand the current SoS is a QPR fan so we're probably safe on that one. :Smile: Not a material planning issue so extremely unlikely but, again, never second guess a SoS. :Facepalm:

Thanks for that. Ron seems to expect the plans to be called in by the SoS and mentioned that he has 21 days to make a decision. Is that 21 days in which to decide to call it in, or 21 days to call it in and make a decision?

The last time the plans were called in it took around 6 months to get a decision. Should we be expecting a similar timescale (assuming the SoS decides to call it in and go through the whole process) or has the process been sped up?

Thanks for that. Ron seems to expect the plans to be called in by the SoS and mentioned that he has 21 days to make a decision. Is that 21 days in which to decide to call it in, or 21 days to call it in and make a decision?

The last time the plans were called in it took around 6 months to get a decision. Should we be expecting a similar timescale (assuming the SoS decides to call it in and go through the whole process) or has the process been sped up?
I think he said it passes it automatically gets called in because part if the development covers green belt. They have 21 days but can extend for another 2-3 weeks beyond that he said I think. In total 6-8 weeks which is why he said if if runs perfectly starting by end Dec possible but more likely second half Jan? I am going from the Zoom call

Nick I was going to let this ride but a serious professional football club which I hope we are needs quality facilities. Roots Hall does not provide these. The training ground is limited. Every time I drive past the Amex on the A27 I am jealous and very ****ed off. I remember watching us play Brighton at the Withdean which is a bit like Southchurch park. Dreadful times for Brighton and their fans. Look at them now.
Don't get me wrong I really hope FF does go ahead but after 23 years (1998 and almost 1/2 of my life ago) of new ground proposals and FF being granted planning permission 13 years ago (2008) I have all but given up with any expectations of seeing it in my lifetime.

An all new shiny 3 sided stadium would be something to be proud of, I just hope I live long enough to see it and enjoy league football in once again?

Nick I was going to let this ride but a serious professional football club which I hope we are needs quality facilities. Roots Hall does not provide these. The training ground is limited. Every time I drive past the Amex on the A27 I am jealous and very ****ed off. I remember watching us play Brighton at the Withdean which is a bit like Southchurch park. Dreadful times for Brighton and their fans. Look at them now.
I would also suggest that dilapidated facilities could be one reason we might be struggling to attract the right players at the right wages.

Mods.

I know that this thread is in the right place in terms of its nature etc, but given the fact that this is quite simply one of the biggest and most important decisions in SUFC's history, should this particular thread be moved to the main forum?

@Cockle43

Can I just ask. What is your personal gut feeling in how this will pan out?

Back