• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Planning Updates- All The Latest Details. 28/03/2022

I think the different phases have been laid out for some time and the project got the green light on that basis from SBC. Unless their is very good reason I would not expect that sequencing to change?
1641473523670.pngI believe this was a brief outline of the phases, obviously dates have changed, I personally wouldn't be surprised if most it had changed by now but I wouldn't be sure either.

I suspect one of the main reasons is that the current training ground location will be needed as main site access for the entire development.

Received a letter from Rochford Council regarding the planning permission on the permanent training ground. Looks like we have submitted revisions to the original plan. This has restarted the 21 day public consultation. Will take a look this evening/over the weekend. But this might be why the temporary training ground is needed?

If anyone can be arsed to look at all the documents!

Overall Expiry Date: 28/01/2022

Can't see how the overall expiry date will be 28 Jan. That's the end of the public consultation period. It would imagine it will then need to go to committee - I guess since planning permission has been granted previously there's a chance it can be decided by the planning officers - but even if that's the case 28 Jan seems too optimistic.

SOUTHEND United’s long-awaited new stadium has cleared one of its final major hurdles - but don’t expect spades in the ground just yet.

Plans for a 21,000 ground at Fossetts Farm have been decades in the making, and the Secretary of State Michael Gove has now confirmed he will not call in the plans.

Carole Mulroney, councillor responsible environment, culture, tourism and planning, said the news was a vital step, whilst stressing there was still some way to go.
She said: “The legal agreements are to be concluded. Permission won’t be issued until that is finalised.

“They will have to submit detailed planning applications for certain aspects of the scheme so we shouldn’t expect spades in the ground just yet but it is good news. It’s been a long time coming.”
The state-of-the-art stadium, off Eastern Avenue, is expected to bring £500 million to the town and create more than 1,000 new jobs.
The site would eventually have 1,461 homes, plus a 107-bedroom hotel, along with a club shop, restaurant and conference space.

Its phased development also includes plans to build 502 homes at the club’s current home at Roots Hall, once the new stadium is ready.
Lawyers are ironing out the final details of the scheme but there should be little to stop work proceeding now.
James Schooley, 33, has been a Blues fan for 26 years. He said: “I’m very happy to hear this news. I was aware of it being in the last haul and I’m hoping it will be all systems go now.
“It would be nice for the club to be forthcoming about where we are going from here and when they are going to be starting on the site.
“It’s great to hear but fans would like to see progress towards beginning on the site. I believe the schedule was for work to start in winter 2021/22 so we will see - but it’s good news.”
Tony Cox, leader of the Conservative group at Southend Council, had reservations.
He said: “In terms of the football club and the stadium I don’t have any issues. There are issues about how it is going to financed though. There are serious concerns over that and also about how the people who would get access to the homes.”

Last edited:
Still mentions a 107 bedroom hotel. I thought that option had been binned?

The smart thing for any developer is to promise grand commercial plans that would create jobs......Councillors love that sort of thing. Then when your halfway through,point out there is no market for it and than swap for more profitable housing.

Thats exactly what happened at the Garrison and the Gas Works site went from 4* and conferences to Brewers fayre and car park.

SOUTHEND United’s long-awaited new stadium has cleared one of its final major hurdles - but don’t expect spades in the ground just yet.

Plans for a 21,000 ground at Fossetts Farm have been decades in the making, and the Secretary of State Michael Gove has now confirmed he will not call in the plans.

Carole Mulroney, councillor responsible environment, culture, tourism and planning, said the news was a vital step, whilst stressing there was still some way to go.
She said: “The legal agreements are to be concluded. Permission won’t be issued until that is finalised.

“They will have to submit detailed planning applications for certain aspects of the scheme so we shouldn’t expect spades in the ground just yet but it is good news. It’s been a long time coming.”
The state-of-the-art stadium, off Eastern Avenue, is expected to bring £500 million to the town and create more than 1,000 new jobs.
The site would eventually have 1,461 homes, plus a 107-bedroom hotel, along with a club shop, restaurant and conference space.

Its phased development also includes plans to build 502 homes at the club’s current home at Roots Hall, once the new stadium is ready.
Lawyers are ironing out the final details of the scheme but there should be little to stop work proceeding now.
James Schooley, 33, has been a Blues fan for 26 years. He said: “I’m very happy to hear this news. I was aware of it being in the last haul and I’m hoping it will be all systems go now.
“It would be nice for the club to be forthcoming about where we are going from here and when they are going to be starting on the site.
“It’s great to hear but fans would like to see progress towards beginning on the site. I believe the schedule was for work to start in winter 2021/22 so we will see - but it’s good news.”
Tony Cox, leader of the Conservative group at Southend Council, had reservations.
He said: “In terms of the football club and the stadium I don’t have any issues. There are issues about how it is going to financed though. There are serious concerns over that and also about how the people who would get access to the homes.”
Tony Cox needs to do one!

Tony Cox needs to do one!
So this is huge news isn't it that SOS isn't calling in the plans. I'm not clear on whats still to be done though before works can start. I know it says there's still some legal matters but what are they?

This is pretty good news for Ron isn't it?

Really? @danbowen? Mr Cox is only speaking out regarding SBCouncillors & money issues over planning, which have plenty of precedent in history.
Past Tory Councillors have had money "gifted" to them for assisting with planning issues, the court convictions and time at Her Majesty's hotels. are testament to those practices.
They used to be a bit shy about demanding the brown paper bags in the past.
And I thought they would get the payments sorted before the voting.

Lol.

I thought this was just lazy journalism as I understand we were already aware that the SOS had not called it in.

As for the future. I was under the impression that finances etc were already clearly highlighted and pending not being called in, we would be getting full planning agreed very quickly.

This article suggests that will not be the case and could be some time yet.

This has to be the most drawn out process in the history of Southend.

It's pretty common that any massive development has funding concerns, it's nothing new.

Doesn't look to me work will start this summer. Further planning applications are required. Never ending saga!

Back