• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Planning Updates- All The Latest Details. 28/03/2022

Webcast terminated as they go into private session. Have to say the mood was extremely positive. The move from retail to housing is an absolute masterstroke and has turned the Council very much in our favour. I really feel this will happen now.

Lots of very positive debate and enthusiastic support from each councillor that spoke. It’s just gone into private session for a confidential aspect, but this seems certain to be supported IMO - probably unanimously.

yeah, I'd agree with that, it was a very positive room I wonder if Ron will get a shiney new shovel for christmas?

Was watching online. Seems very positive with little in the way of objection.

The council stand to make too much money and solve a housing back log to turn this down. I know theybare generally backward in such matters but even they cant look a gift horse on the mouth.

So on the presumption that today gets passed, are we expecting the planning details to be seen and passed on the 4th of December? And if so, does that conclude the whole affair i.e. the final green light?

Def seemed positive and this will be approved to go into the planning stage but its only the start and there’s is a long way to go. As said above, the housing element is now the main priority and has turned heads and the 2 ladies involved with that side of things came across really positive, even if one supports Wet Spam. My fear is; is this council capable of running this and the Queensway project at the same time!? I doubt it but us locals will have to grin and bear it for the foreseeable.

Def seemed positive and this will be approved to go into the planning stage but its only the start and there’s is a long way to go. As said above, the housing element is now the main priority and has turned heads and the 2 ladies involved with that side of things came across really positive, even if one supports Wet Spam. My fear is; is this council capable of running this and the Queensway project at the same time!? I doubt it but us locals will have to grin and bear it for the foreseeable.

Tbh I'm only interested in the new stadium getting built. As long as that happens I'm not too fussed how long Queens way and fossetts take. Its going to be gridlock but the sheer man power and employment can only be good for the town.

The council stand to make too much money and solve a housing back log to turn this down. I know theybare generally backward in such matters but even they cant look a gift horse on the mouth.

So on the presumption that today gets passed, are we expecting the planning details to be seen and passed on the 4th of December? And if so, does that conclude the whole affair i.e. the final green light?

I think we are a while off full steam ahead but taking the meetings month by month is important for the clubs future. As was said, these 2 projects go hand in hand, and will both require permsission and agreements at the same time before we get the thumbs up. The transport issue is going to be a sticking point and I can’t see how that part of Vic Ave (Between East\West St and Fairfax/Priory Crec) will stay 2 (very thin) lanes wide...

Tbh I'm only interested in the new stadium getting built. As long as that happens I'm not too fussed how long Queens way and fossetts take. Its going to be gridlock but the sheer man power and employment can only be good for the town.

Totally agree. For us fans, however much we enjoy (or not) RH, it really is no longer fit for purpose. The only way this club can become sustainable is for FF to go ahead. RH has, rightly or wrongly, been left to rot for the past 10/15 years. I’ll be amazed to see it back in action as soon as Dec as fear there’s plenty of work that needs doing to make it CoVid safe. The housing element has got the loan to pay for the new ground so that speaks volumes!

Absolutely no chance of planning permission on 4th December!

The way the planning process works is an application has to first be accepted as valid. They mentioned today that it is going through the validation process at the moment. That basically means all the correct documents are there and the correct fee has been paid. Back in the day when I worked as a planner (30 years ago!) this was a simple task most of the time as I was mainly dealing with house extensions - however the Fossetts development is huge and it will take a while to make sure everything is there and correct. That's what the scoping opinion was about, so there's no excuse if our consultants haven't got everything in now.

Once it is validated, that's when the clock starts ticking - there'll be a statutory public consultation period (28 days IIRC) and they'll want consultation responses from all the statutory consultees too - highways, archaeology, ecology, water, etc. etc. - then and only then can the officers put a report together for the council to consider, and only then will planning permission be granted. With the best will in the world, I can't see planning permission being granted before March 2021 and that would be quick for a development of this size.

the money that is going to be made from this development is staggering, if they complete 400 units per year which is the aim, even at a small rent of £600 per month per property the additional rent payable to the leaseholder will be just shy of £3 million a year and will raise by that amount each year until the development is finished., the council have got the leases for 99 years and lets face it the rents won't be that cheap. I'm not surprised funding is available for it, it's a almost foolproof investment

Some talk in the session on the Southend "bypass" or "Relief road", its been on the agenda for 40 years. The best representation of this is here. The problem is that the build up of property & businesses along that route has increased and the cost would be huge.

Absolutely no chance of planning permission on 4th December!

The way the planning process works is an application has to first be accepted as valid. They mentioned today that it is going through the validation process at the moment. That basically means all the correct documents are there and the correct fee has been paid. Back in the day when I worked as a planner (30 years ago!) this was a simple task most of the time as I was dealing with house extensions - however the Fossetts development is huge and it will take a while to make sure everything is there and correct. That's what the scoping opinion was about, so there's no excuse if our consultants haven't got everything in now.

Once it is validated, that's when the clock starts ticking - there'll be a statutory public consultation period (28 days IIRC) and they'll want consultation responses from all the statutory consultees too - highways, archaeology, ecology, water, etc. etc. - then and only then can the officers put a report together for the council to consider, and only then will planning permission be granted. With the best will in the world, I can't see planning permission being granted before March 2021 and that would be quick for a development of this size.

I think some of us have been saying that for while now. I doubt any planning permission will be granted this side of the new year, and it was never really likely.

Some talk in the session on the Southend "bypass" or "Relief road", its been on the agenda for 40 years. The best representation of this is here. The problem is that the build up of property & businesses along that route has increased and the cost would be huge.
I believe the current route being thought of is linking Nestuda Way to Warners Bridge and then across farm land to Sutton Road and the road about at Fosset Way. Still very expensive and hugely problematic.
But would ease Priory Crescent bottleneck.

I think some of us have been saying that for while now. I doubt any planning permission will be granted this side of the new year, and it was never really likely.

Then why did Cllr Gilbert specifically mention 4th December in his quote on the recent website story?

I get all the logic behind why it might not be given permission this side of New Year, but it still seems to be the aim and none of us know what has gone on behind the scenes. So until I hear otherwise from those who would know, I'm not writing off 4th December, no matter how unlikely and unrealistic it seems.

Then why did Cllr Gilbert specifically mention 4th December in his quote on the recent website story?

I get all the logic behind why it might not be given permission this side of New Year, but it still seems to be the aim and none of us know what has gone on behind the scenes. So until I hear otherwise from those who would know, I'm not writing off 4th December, no matter how unlikely and unrealistic it seems.

That's your prerogative.

But what was obvious was that timings would dictate that it was, and is now even more, unlikely that permission would be granted before the new year. Not least because Ron is involved and he's incapable of doing anything on time.

The planning department are still validating the application. I personally can't see how they'll finish that, evaluate the application, make their recommendation, allow for public (and other) consultation, convene a full council meeting and pass the plans in the next 30 days. If they fail that then they're into the Christmas/new year period when there won't be any meetings.

I've said this many times: I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just trying to be realistic. In theory, even if @Shrimpergarry is right, Ron's plan to start building in March/April won't be impacted too much, so planning permission in the new year isn't a big deal, and it shouldn't upset people if we get to the end of this year without gaining planning permission.

Last edited:
I always wondered why when the prefabs were demolished at Warners Bridge there was no house building and the land was left. Presumably this is so there is land for the junction/road from Fossetts using Chandlers/Sumpters Way and somehow negotiating the Southend Rugby club grounds whilst not slipping into Rochford as the boundary is very close. Does anyone know if the rugby club own the land or does the council or someone else.

clearly the Council members want this done as as soon as. It ticks a lot of the housing boxes they have to tick and is quite a prestigious development for the town. They'd be mad to turn it down. The officers have the task of working with Ron and his backers to make it happen. There was a lot of praise for the officers from the council members so my guess is the whole this is quite a way along the road. Just how far though is anyone's guess.

I think you might be taking his words out of context. The quotation is:

“I am very pleased that such good progress has been made on this landmark agreement since April and it is being recommended that detailed negotiations are completed subject to final due diligence, which we expect to be completed before full Council at the start of December."

I think he's referring to the commercial agreement, which is what they were discussing today, if cabinet agreed it today then they'll present it to the full council for approval.

As was mentioned several times today, there are planning issues to solve too and these are separate to the commercial deal. This deal does not override the planning process which the Council have to follow (it's the law!) - if an application is not yet validated (confirmed today). It will not be decided this side of Christmas and probably not well into the new year, there's too much due process to follow.

Back