• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Only lost one home game in that run.

Now, who could that have been against?! :winking:

Are you discounting our victory - 4th minute goal from Jack Payne plus 90th minute Tims? and Chesterfield on 9th April:winking:

Yer see, kids, that's why you should always dp yer research before venturing onto forums! :blush::facepalm:

Are u joking 4 wins from the remaining 15 lol we just won three in a row against playoff teams and top! We are buzzing right now! We will win more then 4 in 15 i think! Be more positive we have powell and the team are buzzing right now! Playoffs are on !

All we need to do is go out and smash the other teams every week ! Agree with you Stevencowling1 ... most of it is in our head, dispel the fears and believe like champions. We fear no one

Barnsley finished that season with 74 points. Their last 24 games they won 16 drew 5 and lost 3.

Whilst 74 points is a good average for 6th place, in 2009/10 the 6th placed side got 80 points.

There's probably only 6th place left as the top 5 are well away. It ain't going to happen -I think we are too far behind and one more injury would finish us. If only we had dumped Brown earlier.

although they got 80 points, they only needed 74 points to finish 6th. When we last got into the L1 play offs, we had 76 points, but 70 points would have been enough.

In general, I think the minimums in a 24 team division tend to be :-

85pts for automatic
70pts for the play-offs
50pts to survive

No chance of the play offs, think we will come back down to earth with a bang come Tuesday, I would like a top 10 finish however!

All this talk of getting 50 points....Remember, we have the unfortunate accolade of being relegated on goal difference with 54 points in our not to distant past.

So with that in mind (this season and every season since for that matter)... I never truly believe we are safe until we have 55 points on the board. So we basically need to average about a point a game from now to the end of the season.

That being said, (& having a quick glance at our fixture list) I see no reason why we wouldn't average that from now until the end of the season. ..... Late March until late April will be tough though, facing Rotherham and Gillingham at home, and having to face Blackburn & Bradford away will be a big challenge. Everyone else is ripe for the taking.

How about we actually just have a nice safe end to the season to allow Powelly the chance to focus on his aim of getting his targets in early and we then can spend the summer arguing about when Boxing Day is rather than when Bob Shaw is going to get off his copy of Football Manager 2007 and recommend signing a player who had a pace of 20 back then who now needs to 6 days of physio in order to make a 10 minute cameo.

This is a ridiculous division where teams can surge (Plymouth) and plummet (Peterborough) without warning. The pitches are mostly dire, the legs are mostly tired and the mental pressure is intensifying. Wigan and Shrewsbury lost this weekend, Blackburn were held at home to a relegation zoned Oldham and you wouldn't get rich quick by backing Rotherham, Scunthorpe or Bradford to win every week.

Of course we could break into the play-offs. We've beaten three teams in three games, all of whom were considered serious promotion candidates at some point this season. There's more quality in the side than I thought and there's serious momentum now. Why shouldn't we set our sights high? Why shouldn't we try to do something extraordinary? You could feel the air crackle at Roots Hall on Saturday and if that atmosphere holds...well, I've seen stranger things in this game.

But if we fall short, or worse still, fall away into another slump, we have to be realistic. We have to recognise that the very fact we're having this conversation is extraordinary in itself. The primary objective this season is avoiding a return to that grim netherworld that the ****-polishers have seen fit to call League Two. The secondary objective is to lay down foundations for the future, pruning the squad and adding players who can take us onwards. Anything after that is a massive bonus.

But yeah, in the meantime, I think we should all free to get completely over-excited. Football's supposed to be fun. It's mostly not fun. We may as well enjoy it while it is.

Less than a month ago we were all talking about relegation. Don't get me wrong 3 wins under SCP is fantastic and it looks like we have a new team, but as he himself states "One game at a time"

It is of course lovely to dream but let's make sure we are safe in this division first, that would be a great result for this season. Anything else is just cherry on the cake IMO.

But yeah, in the meantime, I think we should all free to get completely over-excited. Football's supposed to be fun. It's mostly not fun. We may as well enjoy it while it is.

If only everyone - not just fans of SUFC - saw the game like this. Football is fun, football is chaos, enjoy the ride.

If anyone's "doing a Barnsley" this season it's not us. It's Plymouth.

Sorry but we've left it too late. But I do admire the optimism considering many like me still feel we are not out of the woods yet with regards to a relegation scrap.

Gulp. Might be worth a tenner for some.
27750844_10214998602661309_2243979882307563439_n.jpg

The key words in SCP's post-match interview on Saturday, as well as the "Take each game as it comes" line mentioned above, was that he used the phrase "We just need to take care of our own game". I really warmed to that. It's the sort of line Webby and Tilly would use. Let's not worry about who we are playing, what we might achieve in three months and so on. Let's make sure we do the things right that we are working on and let the opposition and the league table be out of our minds completely.

There's too much in football about systems, tactics, what the oppo can do and so on. Yes, be wary of them, but don't let your own decision making becoming affected by it.

Then, let's see where we are at Easter and go from there.

Currently, I'd be happy with "doing a Plymouth".

They looked like relegation candidates up until December 22nd (when they were 3rd from bottom, with the 2nd worst goal difference in the league, with other teams around them with games in hand over them).

Look at them now, only lost once once in 13 games (to Wigan) in 2 and half months, and some might say they were robbed off an extra 4 points when they conceded goals against Blackpool & Rotherham in the 93rd & 94th minute to be left with draws.

Currently, just 3 points of the Play Off's. I'll gladly take that as a final season position right now please SCP.

Last edited:
Plymouth. Another club who stuck with their manager when they were at the bottom in November.

If we were going to make the play offs I guess we would have had to beat Bury. We would then have been only 7 points behind with a game in hand. Still, it was a good performance and Bury's Middlesbrough goalkeeper was all that stood between us and victory. Hopefully Simon Cox is back on Saturday. Onward and upward......

Whilst it’s unlikely, it isn’t impossible. Look at Plymouth for example who are just 3 points outside the playoffs with a much more average side than ours. If we can keep this unbeaten run going who knows where we’ll end up.

Back