• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who would be the ideal play-off (semi-final) opponent?

• Wycombe

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Bury

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Newport

Votes: 45 34.9%
  • Plymouth

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Stevenage

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Luton

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • Exeter

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • Northampton

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • Some team from The Ryman League

Votes: 12 9.3%

• Total voters

ryansm05

Coach
Well it seems barring a small miracle, we will be condemned to the play-offs once again. Recent seasons saw us with tough ties against an unstoppable Crewe and tricky Burton.

The question is, with current league positions, which tie would give us the best shot at a trip to Wem-ber-ley?

Almost feel like supporting Bury for the rescheduled fixture if it means they'd get in the automatics, they are far more threatening than Wycombe.

Bury are in fantastic form and would rather avoid them, and we always seem to struggle against Stevenage and Plymouth who are also good sides so they are best avoided if possible. Wycombe wouldn't be the end of the world but on their day they can play some great stuff, hard to tell how missing out on automatic promotion could affect them, either spur them on to steamroll the play-offs or fall apart completely.

Of the rest, I'd fancy Newport. Realistically I don't think Exeter or Northampton will make it, though I think we could beat both, I don't think we'd face them until the final even if they did as Wycombe/Bury will surely finish above us at least. Luton are in some awful form but are one of those sides who could tear us apart if they turn up, as we saw at Kenilworth Road earlier this season.

Ain't over yet guys...

Burton beat Wycombe we beat Hartlepool - 5pts between us and them.

we beat Bury - 2pts between Wycombe and us and 1 point between Us and Bury.

game on if you ask me.

Just have to keep winning.

Ain't over yet guys...

game on if you ask me.

May not be mathematically over but realistically it will take some sort of miracle for us to consistently win and Bury and Wycombe to drop points.

That's the problem there are 2 teams above us. All we can do is try and win our games and see what happens, you do get some strange results at this time of the season though so you never know.

Ain't over yet guys...

game on if you ask me.

If all the moons align and we win all our games, of course you're right. But many on here are realists, and the Burton debacle and late Wycombe goal really cost us. I'd love you to be right, of course.

I've gone with Newport myself, feel as though Plymouth could be a real dangerous one.

Can't honestly see us getting into the top 3 so think our best chance is Bury getting 3rd with a demoralised Wycome ending up 4th. We finish 5th, play Newport (never seem to do well against Exeter) then either Wycombe or anyone from Exeter, Stevanage or Plymouth in the final. Must say us v Plymouth would be the best spectacle, probably a plus 50k crowd which can't often happen in a L2 play-off final.

If all the moons align and we win all our games, of course you're right. But many on here are realists, and the Burton debacle and late Wycombe goal really cost us. I'd love you to be right, of course.

I've gone with Newport myself, feel as though Plymouth could be a real dangerous one.

Tonight is the key. Burton win, we win, and Bury lose, it is game on.

Ain't over yet guys...

game on if you ask me.

Love positive posters... Always thought Burton would beat Wycombe, and Southend could get a win today.

I think Wycombe's backside will go so GAME ON as you say.
Morecambe winning at Bury sets that away game up nicely now.
Hopefully the players will smell blood and just bleedin well go for it.

Sod 'reality', that's just plain boring, hopes and dreams can set you up for a big fall but surely this is what football is all about.. The business end of the season.

I think Luton will go up in the play offs, they've got over their blip, so imperative that the boys just go for it... Wycombe and Bury will CRAP themselves, seeing. southend winning and winning.

Would much prefer the automatic but it is going to be a fight for that 3rd spot.
I personally don't like the play-offs but at this stage it is a close call for about 5 clubs(ourselves included) and I would much prefer a club nearest home as that way we can take more support

The team to avoid is the one who finishes in form. Currently Plymouth & Newport are spluttering, Bury's great run is over, and usually it takes a few games before a team goes on another good run (memories anyone?).
Personally feel that now Luton have broke their losing streak, and Exeter are knocking on the door(we still have to go there), they will be our greatest threats.
As others have stated, keep winning and see what happens. Tranmere game this Saturday will see what we're made of. They are desperate for points, so will probably 'park the bus' and hope for a breakaway.

I believe Shrewbury still have to play Bury and Wycombe.

I'm not saying we will get third. I'm saying it isn't over yet.

Last edited:
Back