• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Player clear outs

So if you were manger of a Championship/PL clubs under 23's......Would you send your best talent to to Southend this January?
Even a lower league player that is a regular starter would think twice about joining a side that is rock bottom and destined for relegation .

Fairly lazy statements, if you don’t mind me saying. Some clubs may be put off, others won’t. Some players may be put off, others won’t. Our management team will also have plenty of contacts, including players they played with, including any who would have been youth teamers at the time, and any number of other contacts among players and clubs in the last decade. It’s completely possible for one or two decent options to be available in January, if we can afford them.

I get that I obviously wasn’t that clear , what I meant was do you think we need a tough tackling defender , an experienced pro , an upcoming young talent .
For me I like defenders in the mould of Bolger , cresswell and Turner who got their head , body and boot to things and were aggressive in their battles with the forwards

I get that I obviously wasn’t that clear , what I meant was do you think we need a tough tackling defender , an experienced pro , an upcoming young talent .
For me I like defenders in the mould of Bolger , cresswell and Turner who got their head , body and boot to things and were aggressive in their battles with the forwards

Yes agreed, how we need one of those! However, I’m convinced that our biggest problems are all across the midfield. That and rooting out and removing any bad apples, if indeed there truly are any, must be the top priorities in January IMO.

I don't think both keepers can go as what is needed is a NEW, experienced No.,1 & and reliable back up who will train well, and be ready to step forward; so keep young Bish and thanks and best wishes Ox.
Cheerio to Demi too; rather have choice with JW, Elvis and Kyp.
Ralph may be ok if the rest of side are balanced.
CBs, phew, thankfully the position Sol knows best, most on present form would be out the door.
Midfield, keep Hutch, and.....................maybe Barratt
Forwards, Hoppy and Charlie. Hump if he grows up.
And unknown, unnamed younger lads like Gard, Rush.

Looking at the stats, Mantom appears to be the only player we have on our books who can reliably create chances. Even if there are questions over his commitment, he's probably someone we can't afford to lose for this relegation battle.

It ceased being a battle sometime ago. Complete surrender more like.

I do not think it is over yet. In the next three weeks, Sol Campbell will have a chance to take stock and start putting his stamp on the club. Liam Ridgewell's departure may be just the beginning of that process. And also I think Sam Mantom could yet play an important role this season in midfield, particularly if Tim Dieng continues to do well at the back.

What is people's issue with McLaughlin? He's the one bright creative spark in the senior players!

Looking at the stats, Mantom appears to be the only player we have on our books who can reliably create chances. Even if there are questions over his commitment, he's probably someone we can't afford to lose for this relegation battle.

Assists stats not to be confused with chances created stats.....the assists relied on someone actually taking the chance.....

You can be the most creative player in the world but if someone keeps missing what you create you won’t show as an assist.

How about some opinions on the 'clear out' theories?
Will they work or not?
Who would we realistically sign?

Plenty of other threads with names we don't like already.

Assists stats not to be confused with chances created stats.....the assists relied on someone actually taking the chance.....

You can be the most creative player in the world but if someone keeps missing what you create you won’t show as an assist.

We haven't created much though, have we?

We have to place our complete faith and trust in Mr Campbell to be able to bring the right people in from the many contacts he must have in the game. He knows what a mess we are in, his hands are tied until January. I am sure he will already be planning next season in his mind. We WILL be back. COYBB

We should not just have a clear out. The existing players may not be division 1 standard but some will be good enough for division 2 next season, so why get rid of them? Give them a 2 year contract rather than risking getting in new players who may not be any better but cost more. Then they can earn a new contract if they play well enough.

How about some opinions on the 'clear out' theories?
Will they work or not?
Who would we realistically sign?

Plenty of other threads with names we don't like already.

I think when people talk of clear-outs they are talking about mainly in the summer when contracts expire.

Sol’s hands are largely tied until then. I said I expected one maybe two players to be made an example of in his first month and we’ve seen that with Ridgewell and that may happen with Lennon. In January we may be able to move a further couple on - Kiernan, Demetriou, Humphrys/Cox and Robinson could all be candidates to go. Other than that it’s wait until the summer when a lot of contracts won’t be renewed.

I think when people talk of clear-outs they are talking about mainly in the summer when contracts expire.

Sol’s hands are largely tied until then. I said I expected one maybe two players to be made an example of in his first month and we’ve seen that with Ridgewell and that may happen with Lennon. In January we may be able to move a further couple on - Kiernan, Demetriou, Humphrys/Cox and Robinson could all be candidates to go. Other than that it’s wait until the summer when a lot of contracts won’t be renewed.

Thought Ridgewell was dropped by the previous management team.

[QUOTE="Tombstone Blues, post: 2198420, member: 15283"]Assists stats not to be confused with chances created stats.....the assists relied on someone actually taking the chance.....

You can be the most creative player in the world but if someone keeps missing what you create you won’t show as an assist.[/QUOTE]

You sure you're not really another ex-poster in disguise? :Winking:

We haven't created much though, have we?

Well I beg to differ....maybe not copious amounts but there have been some at some very crucial times that had they been scored results may be very different.....

Coventry first game - Shaughnessy miss. We draw that game.....

Fleetwood home - Humphrys clean through 12 yards out to go 2-0 up after 30 mins. 4 mins later they equalised for 1-1

Portsmouth away - Goodship to go 1-0 up

That’s just three examples of clear cut should score moments that didn’t....all affected the results

Back