• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Player clear outs

Appreciate we can’t sack the whole squad, but the only players I would actually want to keep are:

Bishop
Bwomono
Humphrys
Hopper
Klass
Kelman
Kyprianou
Acquah
Hutchinson
Gard
White

Good mix of first teamers, squad players and players with potential.

Well I beg to differ....maybe not copious amounts but there have been some at some very crucial times that had they been scored results may be very different.....

Coventry first game - Shaughnessy miss. We draw that game.....

Fleetwood home - Humphrys clean through 12 yards out to go 2-0 up after 30 mins. 4 mins later they equalised for 1-1

Portsmouth away - Goodship to go 1-0 up

That’s just three examples of clear cut should score moments that didn’t....all affected the results
Because it's only us who miss great opportunities? If we conceded all our opponents chances our scorelines would represent cricket scores.

Take up the option on Elvis but I’d genuinely release everyone else who’s contract is up this season

2 seasons of relegation battles. They are no where near good enough

Because it's only us who miss great opportunities? If we conceded all our opponents chances our scorelines would represent cricket scores.

But that’s not the point that was being made. The point was that we have created chances and missed key ones at key moments that would’ve affected scorelines.

These goals would’ve given us something to cling to....much like MK Dons away....then perception chances everything because I’m sure you’d agree MK was far from being better or much different from many games.

It’s the timing of goals that affect games more than anything else.

What is people's issue with McLaughlin? He's the one bright creative spark in the senior players!

I’m a big Macca fan and have been for a while, but he’s just not been at the races for a long while now. He’s done a Kevan Hurst. Went through a phase of scoring or assisting every game and then just completely fizzled out.

Hard to see him discovering that sort of form again, but still our best option on the wings.

I’m a big Macca fan and have been for a while, but he’s just not been at the races for a long while now. He’s done a Kevan Hurst. Went through a phase of scoring or assisting every game and then just completely fizzled out.

Hard to see him discovering that sort of form again, but still our best option on the wings.

Oh wow that is actually so spot on!!

But that’s not the point that was being made. The point was that we have created chances and missed key ones at key moments that would’ve affected scorelines.

These goals would’ve given us something to cling to....much like MK Dons away....then perception chances everything because I’m sure you’d agree MK was far from being better or much different from many games.

It’s the timing of goals that affect games more than anything else.
Well Portsmouth went on to score 4 so it probably wouldn't of affected that result so much.. I mean we're conceding just under 3 goals a game so extremely unlikely we would've stopped them scoring at all..

Fleetwood game - again a long time was left to go in that game impossible to say that chance would've massively changed the result looking at our shambolic defensive record.

We held out against MK Dons but they look like they could almost be as bad as us having picked up 1 point in two months.

Coventry game I could agree with but even so look at our games like Wycombe we was winning till the 89th min and still lost.

Impossible to assume that results would've been massively different if these goals went in when looking at the rest of our results.

I’m not saying it is possible to assume results. But you know as well as I do that goals change games. The coventry goal may have changed mentality in the club AND the stands so that was crucial for how we started the season positively or not.

The Fleetwood one wasn’t the worst performance in the world and going 2-0 up on half an hour in Waddocks first game may have affected the game more than any other....again given Waddocks first few games another two points may even have changed who we ended up with as manager!

Of course Portsmouth was a long time left but getting the first goal especially on the back of the Sunderland performance and Sol being in charge may have given us something to build on.

It’s easy to just dismiss it....and I realise it’s also easy to play hindsight but the fact remains goals and more importantly when you score them is vital and changes outcomes.

I think Cox needs to be moved on sharpish. Clearly unfit and unmotivated in this juncture in his career. Certainly Ridgewell needs to go in what is a bizarre legacy of the idiot Bond!

GK:
Mark Oxley - 2021 - Open to offers, need to identify new first team keeper (Bishop or another?)
Nathan Bishop - 2021 (option until 2022) - Keep for now

DEF:
Jason Demetriou - 2021 (option until 2022) - Open to offers, too unfit and Elvis the better option at RB for now
Rob Kiernan - 2020 (option until 2021) - Bin off at end of season, too unfit, too expensive, potential problem character
Harry Lennon - 2021 - Keep for now
Harry Kyprianou - 2021 - Keep for now
Nathan Ralph - 2021 (option until 2022) - Keep
Elvis Bwomono - 2020 (option until 2021) - Take up option
John White - 2020 (option until 2021) - Probably take up option, especially if we go down
Joe Shaughnessy - 2020 (option until 2021) - Bin off
Liam Ridgewell - 2020 (option until 2021) - Cheerio
Rob Howard - 2020 (on loan at Dartford)?
Tom Clifford - 2020?
Richard Taylor - 2020 New contract, coming through nicely?

MID:
Mark Milligan 2020 (option until 2021) - Bin off, likely to be expensive and not offered enough
Stephen McLaughlin - 2020 - Offer new contract, but not likely to stay if we go down
Sam Mantom - 2020 (option until 2021) - Keep for now
Timothee Dieng - 2020 (option until 2021) - Keep for now
Luke Hyam - 2020 (option until 2021) - Bin off
Isaac Hutchinson - 2021 - Keep
Ethan Hamilton (loan until 2020) - Not ours
Sam Barratt - 2020 - Keep for now, decide after he's played some games
Lewis Gard - 2020 - as above
Michael Klass - 2020 (on loan at Bromley) ?
Harry Phillips - 2020 ?
Layton Ndukwu (loan until 2020) Bin off

FWD:
Simon Cox - 2020 - Bin off
Theo Robinson - 2020 (on loan at Col Ewe) - I'd keep him if we go down, but unlikely to return
Stephen Humphrys - 2021 - Keep
Tom Hopper - 2021 - Keep
Charlie Kelman - 2021 - Keep
Brandon Goodship 2021 (option until 2022) - Keep

So ignoring youngsters, for pre-season I expect our squad to be:

Oxley (or replacement)
Bishop

Lennon
Kyprianou
Demetriou?
White
Ralph
Bwomono
Taylor
1 or 2 new defenders (replace Demetriou)

Mantom
Dieng
Hutchinson
McLaughlin - if he stays
Barratt?
Gard?
New Winger 1
New ACM 1

Humphrys
Hopper
Kelman
Goodship
Acquah

It'd be good to shift Demetriou and Oxley out, but clearly they're contracted to stay next season and so depends on if there's interest, and what division we're in. Also need to evaluate Kyprianou, Barratt and Gard once they're back from their serious injuries.

Last edited:
GK:
Mark Oxley - 2021 - Open to offers, need to identify new first team keeper (Bishop or another?)

DEF:
Jason Demetriou - 2021 (option until 2022) - Open to offers, too unfit and Elvis the better option at RB for now
Rob Kiernan - 2020 (option until 2021) - Bin off at end of season, too unfit, too expensive, potential problem character
John White - 2020 (option until 2021) - Probably take up option, especially if we go down
Tom Clifford - 2020?

MID:
Mark Milligan 2020 (option until 2021) - Bin off, likely to be expensive and not offered enough
Stephen McLaughlin - 2020 - Offer new contract, but not likely to stay if we go down
Harry Phillips - 2020 ?

FWD:
Theo Robinson - 2020 (on loan at Col Ewe) - I'd keep him if we go down, but unlikely to return
Tom Hopper - 2021 - Keep

Oxley (or replacement)
Bishop

Lennon
Kyprianou
Kiernan?
Demetriou?
White
Ralph
Bwomono
Taylor
New defender (replace Kiernan and/or Demetriou)

Mantom
Dieng
Hutchinson
McLaughlin - if he stays
Barratt?
Gard?
New Winger 1
New ACM 1

Humphrys
Hopper
Kelman
Goodship
Acquah

It'd be good to shift Kiernan, Demetriou and Oxley out, but clearly they're contracted to stay next season and so depends on if there's interest, and what division we're in. Also need to evaluate Kyprianou, Barratt and Gard once they're back from their serious injuries.
Kiernan contract up at the end of this year?

GK:

DEF:
Tom Clifford - 2020?

MID:
Harry Phillips - 2020 ?

FWD:
Tom Hopper - 2021 - Keep

Oxley (or replacement)
Bishop

Lennon
Kyprianou
Kiernan?
Demetriou?
White
Ralph
Bwomono
Taylor
New defender (replace Kiernan and/or Demetriou)

Mantom
Dieng
Hutchinson
McLaughlin - if he stays
Barratt?
Gard?
New Winger 1
New ACM 1

Humphrys
Hopper
Kelman
Goodship
Acquah

It'd be good to shift Kiernan, Demetriou and Oxley out, but clearly they're contracted to stay next season and so depends on if there's interest, and what division we're in. Also need to evaluate Kyprianou, Barratt and Gard once they're back from their serious injuries.

I'd agree totally there, exactly as I read it with the exceptions of Lennon, poor, injury prone and utterly unprofessional...There has been way to much indiscipline in our club going back at the least to Sturrocks tenure, and Acquah..Doubt he will make it at Conference level, I see nothing in him...PLEASE PLEASE TAKE A NOTE OF ME YOUNG MAN AND PROVE ME WRONG!..Finally Robinson is an utter waste of resources, even at Div 2 Level.

While it would not upset me to see every out of contract player leave, I do agree with Rigsby that complete clearouts rarely work, especially as we have no CEO and will be towards the back of the queue when it comes to replacements.

So I think it's vital that Sol weeds out the bad eggs that are bringing everyone else around them down. Of course, as fans we don't really know much about who they are, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens in the summer.

I do think we'll see a bigger squad churn than we have done for some time.

I'd agree totally there, exactly as I read it with the exceptions of Lennon, poor, injury prone and utterly unprofessional...There has been way to much indiscipline in our club going back at the least to Sturrocks tenure, and Acquah..Doubt he will make it at Conference level, I see nothing in him...PLEASE PLEASE TAKE A NOTE OF ME YOUNG MAN AND PROVE ME WRONG!..Finally Robinson is an utter waste of resources, even at Div 2 Level.

I remember last season a post saying Elvis and Hutchinson would be found in Conference south in two years time.....

Not saying we should do this but the clear out that preceded Sturrock starting again from scratch worked much better than I thought it would.

There should be some decent players available in January who can go out on loan. The Premier, Championship and even Division One clubs have big squads full of decent players who haven't had much of a look in since the season started in August. Many of them would relish the chance to play first team football rather than meaningless under 23 games. I am sure Sol Campbell has a list of such players, hopefully his judgement is much better than the disastrous Bond.

Not saying we should do this but the clear out that preceded Sturrock starting again from scratch worked much better than I thought it would.

I think our hand was slightly forced there, not to mention my attempts at cloning 14 Barry Corr's, have at the moment, proved fruitless. Damn you to hell science! :Angry Mob:

Plus both Sturrock and Widdrington had good contacts. Sturrock had worked with the likes of Barker, Corr, Gilbert and Easton before and Widdrington knew some of the lower league gems (Hall, Clohessy).

Back