• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Player clear outs

**** me, one of the worst players and captains I have ever ever seen in a southend shirt, has been one of the main factors in the demise of the club over the last 2 and a half season, and now because hes been out of sight out of mind, suddenly everyone's got these fond memories of what a warrior he is? the blokes a cretin, he is everywhere thats wrong with the playing squad, always 5 yards away from his man, never tackles never goes in 50-50 . A **** house of the highest order, and one I genuinely hope I never seen in a southend shirt again, I would put him in the same category as Lennon and Kiernan... an absolute free loader..

**** me, one of the worst players and captains I have ever ever seen in a southend shirt, has been one of the main factors in the demise of the club over the last 2 and a half season, and now because hes been out of sight out of mind, suddenly everyone's got these fond memories of what a warrior he is? the blokes a cretin, he is everywhere thats wrong with the playing squad, always 5 yards away from his man, never tackles never goes in 50-50 . A **** house of the highest order, and one I genuinely hope I never seen in a southend shirt again, I would put him in the same category as Lennon and Kiernan... an absolute free loader..
Just for clarity who are you talking about?

Yes clarity needed as this description could probably apply to half the squad.
I genuinely can’t fathom whom he is trying to describe,large sections of it rule out absolutely everyone.

While some players get absolute pelters on here, McLaughlin and Cox get talked of little. As the more senior experienced players and part of that promotion team I find it sad seeing them struggle now. I’d say both are now past their best and not the required standard. But ... let’s see what magic Sol and his fitness coach can work.

Its tough to look good in a team playing so badly. Cox for example in a top half team would be focussed on the creative side- in our team he is playing as a forward and midfielder all in one- chasing back, tackling, working himself into the ground. This naturally means you are less often in positions to do what you do best and hurt the other team. Yet he gets on with it.

My guess would be Sam Mantom; I wouldn't put it across quite so bluntly but Ghost has pointed out some fairly regular occurring themes to his "play".
I thought Mantom at first but who on earth ever called him a “warrior”? Whatever attributes Mantom may or may not have had that has never been one.

My guess would be Sam Mantom; I wouldn't put it across quite so bluntly but Ghost has pointed out some fairly regular occurring themes to his "play".
Mantom? An extremely good League One midfielder as he has shown consistently for us and for other clubs in this division.Lets all hope the League One team he is energising next season is ours and not a different League One outfit.

got to say I am very much a "bad workman blames his tools" sort of person ...

and reckon bad managers are responsible for bad outcomes ...

So don't really like the player non-stop abuse (confession - have had my moments) when as far I cab=n see most our squad can perform when things are maged correctly.

I don't blame the players for the poor fitness and conditioning that is a root cause of many issues because you cannot train yourself up to the level required ..

Ultimately the players careers are damaged by crap management - and I see the responsibility lying with the donkeys not the lions ..

Oh wow that is actually so spot on!!
I agree, I have long had a theory that some players, mainly in the lower leagues have a couple of great seasons in them when they are 100% fit and firing on all cylinders, then they just go off the boil and are never the same player again.
It often occurs after they have had an injury or a change in personal circumstances, like getting married or having kids, don't know why, but it certainly seems to happen, and I'm sure we can all think of other examples.
Trouble is we seem to sign too many of them!

Mantom? An extremely good League One midfielder as he has shown consistently for us and for other clubs in this division.Lets all hope the League One team he is energising next season is ours and not a different League One outfit.
When’s he played good mate ? He certainly hasn’t for Southend, he came to the club injured ... alternatively your comment would make me assume you’ve seen a lot of his other performances in league one 1

When’s he played good mate ? He certainly hasn’t for Southend, he came to the club injured ... alternatively your comment would make me assume you’ve seen a lot of his other performances in league one 1

Sol Campbell has already made a big difference to Timothee Dieng. I would not be surprised if Sam Mantom also starts performing much better under Campbell's leadership when he returns from injury.

Mantom's style of play, role, is now being played by Cox.
What we need is Peter Butler type and Sam isn't that; however, like with Tim Dieng, the slate is clean and if he does start making some tackles etc I would be both surprised and also pleased, for him and SUFC.

Yes,having watched his Albion debut in the League Cup (young Kiwi Chris Wood scored in a 2-0 win,I followed his progress keenly and noted his fine performances whenever I saw him playing for his hometown Walsall,quite often,then Scunthorpe, then us.

Mantom's style of play, role, is now being played by Cox.
What we need is Peter Butler type and Sam isn't that; however, like with Tim Dieng, the slate is clean and if he does start making some tackles etc I would be both surprised and also pleased, for him and SUFC.

What I wouldn’t give to see a Peter Butler or Dave Martin type in our midfield now! Those were REAL warriors....

Back