• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Player clear outs

Who are the bad apples in the squad?
Depends what classes as a bad apple i guess.
COx has been mentioned but apparently he said training and tactics were poor to bond, to be fair he was right, thats not being a bad apple but stating the obvious. YOur top scorer for 3 years being played wide or in midfield doesn’t make sense, but he still did it and tried his best. I know some other names have been mentioned like Demitriou. BUt it doesn’t matter now, they all have to pull the same way and train hard

I personally think Sol will make UP TO 6 changes in January and hold off until the summer window to sort out the others when we sort out the release list.

More than six could just be too much and undo what work Sol and the other backroom staff have done so far.

COX - Sorry, as much as he has done for the club, he is one of the instigators of problems in the changing room and lets face it, he is not the player he was. He needs to go.

HUMPHRYS - Again, a capable player who needs to stop sitting up till the early hours playing video games on line (including some nights before a game). He is lazy, out of shape and a liability as it stands. Yes he scored the goal that kept us up and yes I was at Bradford, but he has dropped off in form. he needs to go unless he bucks his ideas up.

LENNON - Enough Said. I think we all have the same answer for him.

Oxley - 2 Season ago, maybe I wouldn't have been typing this but constantly glued to his line, lack of energy and general poor form would force me to add him to the "He needs to go" list.
We need to get a new number one in. This is to allow Bishop to work on his form and future carreer, and wether that is with SUFC or not is his call. We was made offers for him towards the end of 2018 so it won't be long before he moves on TBH.

McLaughlin. same as @OldBlueLady , I have no idea why people have an issue with him. He leads, he scores (when he can) and he works hard.

Hutchy, Rush, Kelman, Taylor and Elvis have all stepped in because we basically needed them. They have all done fairly well for their age and experience and often shown more grit that the senior players. Why anyone would want to knock their efforts baffles me.

Ralph - I like him. He is starting to find his feet now and I think he will be a good player and probably one that will eventually go elsewhere at some point and then come back to haunt us.

Dieng - Come on, he has found the new position his place to be. Lets watch him grow into it.

Strangely ..... Have you all forgot about Theo who is due back in January ???
I think Sol will like him.

Yes,having watched his Albion debut in the League Cup (young Kiwi Chris Wood scored in a 2-0 win,I followed his progress keenly and noted his fine performances whenever I saw him playing for his hometown Walsall,quite often,then Scunthorpe, then us.
I am struggling to think of a performance that was notable for us; best he has played was against Scunny a few years ago. Sometimes he has been good - in a better team - but generally he has been average at best.

I personally think Sol will make UP TO 6 changes in January and hold off until the summer window to sort out the others when we sort out the release list.

More than six could just be too much and undo what work Sol and the other backroom staff have done so far.

COX - Sorry, as much as he has done for the club, he is one of the instigators of problems in the changing room and lets face it, he is not the player he was. He needs to go.

HUMPHRYS - Again, a capable player who needs to stop sitting up till the early hours playing video games on line (including some nights before a game). He is lazy, out of shape and a liability as it stands. Yes he scored the goal that kept us up and yes I was at Bradford, but he has dropped off in form. he needs to go unless he bucks his ideas up.

Oxley - 2 Season ago, maybe I wouldn't have been typing this but constantly glued to his line, lack of energy and general poor form would force me to add him to the "He needs to go" list.
We need to get a new number one in. This is to allow Bishop to work on his form and future carreer, and wether that is with SUFC or not is his call. We was made offers for him towards the end of 2018 so it won't be long before he moves on TBH.

McLaughlin. same as @OldBlueLady , I have no idea why people have an issue with him. He leads, he scores (when he can) and he works hard.

Hutchy, Rush, Kelman, Taylor and Elvis have all stepped in because we basically needed them. They have all done fairly well for their age and experience and often shown more grit that the senior players. Why anyone would want to knock their efforts baffles me.

Ralph - I like him. He is starting to find his feet now and I think he will be a good player and probably one that will eventually go elsewhere at some point and then come back to haunt us.

Dieng - Come on, he has found the new position his place to be. Lets watch him grow into it.

Only one I disagree with is Cox, yes he said things to Bond, but was he wrong? He has played 4 positions this year, 3 not natural to him. But all the others i agree with

I don’t post much on here but I am seriously struggling with people who are suggesting getting rid of Cox,

Top goal scorer last 3 seasons, almost kept us up last year single handed. Yes granted he has struggled a little this season but often has been played out if his usual position.

He has a massive work ethic and is a more intelligent footballer than a lot of the rest of the team put together.

A lot would depend I fancy on whether the Club is going to throw money on trying to stay up. The Club is going to have to spend money on losing those that Sol doesn't want. Those players will be under contract and under no obligation to leave. No doubt it is a mess and I wish Sol the best of luck. I am sure he will eventually get a squad of players that he really wants. However, that won't be completed in January.

Which is why the Club probably has to accept that relegation is almost inevitable and then Sol is free to take his time to get the right players in. Not being defeatist, just realistic.

Last edited:
So I assume the players that are not part of Sol's future plans will be offered for transfer or loan in January. If there are no takers (hard to imagine hey) then they stay with us until their contracts are up but don't play ? or will the club pay them off (surely we can't afford that). Ron says that he will back Sol so sounds like there is money available to bring players in but that must be limited if we can't offload anyone.

Most people me included saying who should go, Dieng was once definitely one of them. Sol is sorting it out in a months time even Mantom and others on the hate list may be wanted to be kept by most supporters.

I don’t post much on here but I am seriously struggling with people who are suggesting getting rid of Cox,

Top goal scorer last 3 seasons, almost kept us up last year single handed. Yes granted he has struggled a little this season but often has been played out if his usual position.

He has a massive work ethic and is a more intelligent footballer than a lot of the rest of the team put together.

Sorry, I am not a big Coxy fan. Not disagreeing with you but I don't think we'll see that type of performance again from him. I hope I am wrong, and I hope Sol can bring the best out of these players but some are just not on board the same bus as the new management

Depends what classes as a bad apple i guess.
COx has been mentioned but apparently he said training and tactics were poor to bond, to be fair he was right, thats not being a bad apple but stating the obvious. YOur top scorer for 3 years being played wide or in midfield doesn’t make sense, but he still did it and tried his best. I know some other names have been mentioned like Demitriou. BUt it doesn’t matter now, they all have to pull the same way and train hard
Cant understand Demi being mentioned as he has been out injured for so long,

Sorry, I am not a big Coxy fan. Not disagreeing with you but I don't think we'll see that type of performance again from him. I hope I am wrong, and I hope Sol can bring the best out of these players but some are just not on board the same bus as the new management
We may not see those performances again, but we certainly won’t if he doesn’t play where he should be. Fan or not you get more from layers p,aging in there correct position. He from what I have seen isn’t or wasn’t fit, he didn’t have a pre season, why bond played him like that after saying he was 6 weeks away from playing was a joke, not fit, no pre season and playing out of position. If cox was a bad app,e saying to bond about the tactics and train8ng 8 can understand it.

But that aside, whoever comes in to replace those that leave, we have to support them, get behind them wether we like them or noI use Cox as an example as people seem to be singling him out as a “bad apple”

Last edited:
I am struggling to think of a performance that was notable for us; best he has played was against Scunny a few years ago. Sometimes he has been good - in a better team - but generally he has been average at best.

Was Sam Mantom not outstanding in the vital home games against Burton and Sunderland towards the end of last season?

Was Sam Mantom not outstanding in the vital home games against Burton and Sunderland towards the end of last season?

He was.

When he first came into the side there were a string of fine performances from Sam which contributed greatly to the upturn in form and the climb up the table.

In SCP’s second season Sam was generally playing alongside Dieng, whose movement around the pitch was minimal. Sam was therefore having to do the job of two players and his form suffered.

Dieng is currently at the back, where his strolling around doesn’t cause problems to the midfield.

With Sol’s support I can easily see Sam returning as a key midfielder.

He was.

When he first came into the side there were a string of fine performances from Sam which contributed greatly to the upturn in form and the climb up the table.

In SCP’s second season Sam was generally playing alongside Dieng, whose movement around the pitch was minimal. Sam was therefore having to do the job of two players and his form suffered.

Dieng is currently at the back, where his strolling around doesn’t cause problems to the midfield.

With Sol’s support I can easily see Sam returning as a key midfielder.

I hope you are right with that. I am not quite clear what Mantom has done so wrong that he is now the Number 1 target for supporters abuse.

I would suggest that he played a greater part of last year less than a 100% fit. Sol has already said that players in the past have played too soon after injury. that was definitely the case last year.

Back