• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Player clear outs

I hope you are right with that. I am not quite clear what Mantom has done so wrong that he is now the Number 1 target for supporters abuse.

I would suggest that he played a greater part of last year less than a 100% fit. Sol has already said that players in the past have played too soon after injury. that was definitely the case last year.
Mantom like many has just not been at the races this season, whatever the reasons. I lost it with him at the Accrington game particularly, out of sheer frustration. I know there’s a decent player in there somewhere and hope under Sol we can see the Sam Mantom we saw in flashes last season. I certainly would give him a chance at least till we are able to get better in. He’s not as bad as he’s appeared to be recently ... like many of them.

I agree with a lot of what is written about players such as Mantom, Dieng, Lennon, Kiernon, Hump and others.
On their day,on their game, when they can be BOTHERED, they can be very good players for us, proper 8/10 performances: AND on usual, recent,this year's showings they are 5/10 for most games & give off a"can't give a feck".
It is the inconsistency and perceived attitude which winds me, and possibly others, up; where as players like Elvis, White, Cox, Hutch are putting sweat and toil in on most occasions.
With Dieng, this "incarnation" as captain and CB has seen more from him AND as has been pointed out, if he adds a willingness to get physical and desire to win 50/50 or 40/60 challenges then he will be a better player and worth retaining.

How’s he playing?

I've only seen the second half, but he's got in a couple of decent crosses in, the first of which the Cyprus forward should have scored. Looks like he's going to get a full 90 minutes though. Scotland look poor I'm not sure how they are winning!

I've only seen the second half, but he's got in a couple of decent crosses in, the first of which the Cyprus forward should have scored. Looks like he's going to get a full 90 minutes though. Scotland look poor I'm not sure how they are winning!
Saw the whole game. Cyprus were denied a goal first half with a shot thay may well have crossed the line but no goal line technology. In the first half he played a superb through ball from which Cyprus should have scored but the forward fell over. His crossing was excellent throughout, he was always in space and available, the only blemish was a booking which might well have been a red. His performance today, a full 90 minutes in which he seemed to get stronger as the game wore on, makes a mockery of his sporadic and ineffectual performances for blues recently and was a reminder of just what a good footballer he is, especially as a right sided midfielder. On this performance, it would be daft to let him go. Campbell must find a way of making him play like this.

Saw the whole game. Cyprus were denied a goal first half with a shot thay may well have crossed the line but no goal line technology. In the first half he played a superb through ball from which Cyprus should have scored but the forward fell over. His crossing was excellent throughout, he was always in space and available, the only blemish was a booking which might well have been a red. His performance today, a full 90 minutes in which he seemed to get stronger as the game wore on, makes a mockery of his sporadic and ineffectual performances for blues recently and was a reminder of just what a good footballer he is, especially as a right sided midfielder. On this performance, it would be daft to let him go. Campbell must find a way of making him play like this.

I saw the whole game too. Entertaining game.
I think he's always done this for Southend when the way the games gone has enabled it.
Always given 100% as far as I recall.
Was good to see, but doubt Campbell will utilise it

So I assume the players that are not part of Sol's future plans will be offered for transfer or loan in January. If there are no takers (hard to imagine hey) then they stay with us until their contracts are up but don't play ? or will the club pay them off (surely we can't afford that). Ron says that he will back Sol so sounds like there is money available to bring players in but that must be limited if we can't offload anyone.

Isn't there normally some kind of deal done where rather than pay the full amount we would offer to pay X% of the remaining contract and the player is free to leave if they accept it? I'm not sure why any of this lot would but it might be worth making the offer to those we don't want anymore

Isn't there normally some kind of deal done where rather than pay the full amount we would offer to pay X% of the remaining contract and the player is free to leave if they accept it? I'm not sure why any of this lot would but it might be worth making the offer to those we don't want anymore

Can always try but usually it’s payment of contract if you can’t do a deal, downsides comes out of FFP, or reduces any transfer budget a club has or a bit of both. Not sure either way we are in a position to do that

If a player is offered a deal to pay up his contract although he wouldn't normally receive the full salary had he played it out, if he can find a new club quickly it can often be to their financial advantage to move. That's where the players agent comes in, he would negotiate the exit package and try to find the player a new employer.

Now I have come late to this and haven't read all 7 pages.

I agree largely with Rigsby - a clear out is not a magic potion that will sort out our club and see it suddenly blossom.

And also I don't believe that you can play a large number of younger inexperienced players and hope to get the better of seasoned professionals in the opposition. They can at times play "without fear" and getting the balance right is important. For me that applies in any league including Division 4 should we be relegated.

I believe there is the nucleus of a good side at Roots Hall right now.

I would simply opt for a couple of signings (loan or permanent) coupled with a professional management approach.

Agreed in principle @Rattus Norvegicus but I think our problems aren’t down to inherent footballing ability. It’s more the mix of characters in the squad, plus the fact that for several of the squad there has been a lot of dirty water under the bridge during their time here and they may not all be up for a renaissance in a blue shirt. Sol’s job (which to be fair he seems to be right on top of) is identifying who is a good influence on the group, who isn’t, who wants to be here and who doesn’t. Then he’s also got the job of plugging some deficiencies in the balance of the squad, in midfield particularly.

I’d wager there will be one or two surprise exits in January, not necessarily related to ability with a football.

Some players can be influential on and off the pitch. This can be a positive and negative but any player with a destructive influence needs to ditched.
Many fans debate how much our players earn, but one certainty is, that most of our players are overpaid for the lack of performance they produce.
Anyone not giving his best should be ashamed. They are in a privileged job and are a disgrace to the club, the fans and the game.
It's time such players were ousted and named. Good luck getting a new club then!
I doubt the youths will keep us up but I would rather get behind a wholehearted team going down than a shower of **** surviving. The times we are told to be mindful of the players sensitivity and be supportive. Ha! You want support and respect then go and earn it. If you care nothing for the badge or the fans then I suggest you **** off and I for one won't miss you.

He hasnt featured for the blues under Sol as yet ,been out through injury,He may have im not sure played some minutes with the u/23s ,but been a while since he featured in the first eleven.

Yes,having watched his Albion debut in the League Cup (young Kiwi Chris Wood scored in a 2-0 win,I followed his progress keenly and noted his fine performances whenever I saw him playing for his hometown Walsall,quite often,then Scunthorpe, then us.

Simon Cox played in that game too.

Back