• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ok I think I see what you mean. Thanks for clarifying.

I should have explained my point a bit better first time. Same as the Bosman ruling. I'm not against it, just saying we have to live with it and its up to the smaller clubs to protect themselves a bit better than we appear to have done.

Talking of which I am told that if we ever get the domes in place and become a cat 2? standard academy then our young players are further protected than at the moment. Does anyone know the rules on this?

I wasn't trying to directly blame sky. I was trying to point out that its another area of fans hypocrisy. If your a regular at the Hall and you have Sky TV, which cost more per year than your season ticket. Then your actually giving the bigger clubs more money than your own team.

So don't complain when a young player signs for a bigger club, when its actually you that's paying his wages. Yes I do have sky but I wont be demanding loyalty from anyone who can earn ten times what he is earning at Southend. What I do expect is professionalism and effort right up until the last game of your current contract.

My Sky subscription isn't just for football though.

I should have explained my point a bit better first time. Same as the Bosman ruling. I'm not against it, just saying we have to live with it and its up to the smaller clubs to protect themselves a bit better than we appear to have done.

Talking of which I am told that if we ever get the domes in place and become a cat 2? standard academy then our young players are further protected than at the moment. Does anyone know the rules on this?

If we were a Cat 2 academy it wouldn't neccessary protect any future players more than it does now, but it would put us in a stronger position to retain players [this is before they've signed professional contracts...] because only Cat 1 clubs can provide better coaching.

At this stage in the careers of Dan and Jack, where they're professional footballers it would only increase the compensation at a tribunal, because better coaching is worth more, etc. But I couldn't tell you how significant that may be...

The idea of the EPPP [and why there are categories at all] is so that youth players, particularly youth players with potential can move freely between clubs to better their chances of reaching their potential. There's still a fundamental flaw in that Premier League clubs, they have the best players will not take a risk, so they're loaned out and we've all seen what happens... Michael Ngoo, Femi Orenguna, etc.

There was a interview with Ricky Duncan and Kane Ferdinand on the Shrimpers Trust website which I found very interesting on the matter.

My Sky subscription isn't just for football though.

Exactly this, i pay for the full sky package including movies, my broadband, telelphone line etc

I also love my sport whether it be football, rugby, golf, cricket etc etc. Im fortunate at the moment that i can afford it, there may well be a time that i cant. It would be the first thing to go and certainly if it meant i couldnt afford my season ticket at Southend

Exactly this, i pay for the full sky package including movies, my broadband, telelphone line etc

I also love my sport whether it be football, rugby, golf, cricket etc etc. Im fortunate at the moment that i can afford it, there may well be a time that i cant. It would be the first thing to go and certainly if it meant i couldnt afford my season ticket at Southend

Yes I'm the same as you, got all the extras and love my test cricket etc. And just like you and the other 2 million customers a large chunk of my money goes to Football. Southend will £450,000 or so in L1 whilst those in the PL will get £100 million.

If Jack Payne stands accused of taking 30 pieces of silver, then we are the ones who provided the silver.

I wasn't trying to directly blame sky. I was trying to point out that its another area of fans hypocrisy. If your a regular at the Hall and you have Sky TV, which cost more per year than your season ticket. Then your actually giving the bigger clubs more money than your own team.

So don't complain when a young player signs for a bigger club, when its actually you that's paying his wages. Yes I do have sky but I wont be demanding loyalty from anyone who can earn ten times what he is earning at Southend. What I do expect is professionalism and effort right up until the last game of your current contract.
This is one of the reasons why I do not have Sky TV. Plus why should I pay £800 or so and still have to watch adverts!!

Another thing that I think is grossly unfair are the parachute payments. Wigan a good example of this for they have received them and used them against clubs like ours who do not have a hope in hell of matching them financially.

Haven't got Sky, never will have Sky precisely for the reasons Rigsby has said. There are plenty of pubs that show any games I desperately need to see (which, considering they very seldom involve Southend, is pretty much none of them) and pubs need people's custom much more than Sky.

I imagine if he signs for a team such as Wolves he probably would. Don't forget the Championship is the 5th richest league in the world...or at least it was. Even if it has dropped down the pecking order a bit, it is still a very rich league.

Yes it is a rich league and top players at the top clubs earn ridiculous sums. Somebody coming form league one is not going to command a big wage, I'd be surprised if he's offered anywhere near the £10k lower bracket I quoted earlier, closer to half that I'd imagine. Fair enough it is still probably double what we are offering. I don't think Wolves or anyone would pay a player with such limited experience that sort of money

Yes it is a rich league and top players at the top clubs earn ridiculous sums. Somebody coming form league one is not going to command a big wage, I'd be surprised if he's offered anywhere near the £10k lower bracket I quoted earlier, closer to half that I'd imagine. Fair enough it is still probably double what we are offering. I don't think Wolves or anyone would pay a player with such limited experience that sort of money

I suppose this is all guesswork. What can be said with confidence is that he will definitely earn a huge amount more than he's currently on. Don't forget, however, he's only really in his 2nd season, and it's very likely he's one of the lower paid players at Roots Hall. That said, they have also offered him a new deal, so he really needs to compare any new deal he's been offered to any deal he's likely to get elsewhere.

I accept that Jack has the right to move as he's now reached the end of his contract. However, I think he would be far better off signing a 2 yr deal with us, with various clauses relating to who comes in for him, and playing each and every week. If I was Jack, I'd be speaking to the likes of Adam Barrett and Noel Hunt to get their views, rather than just taking the advice of his agent.

Back