• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who is your player of the year?

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ted Smith

• John White

• Michael Timlin

• Will Atkinson

• Stephen McLaughlin

• Jermaine McGlashan

• Marc-Antoine Fortune

• Theo Robinson

• Total voters
With 29 of the 46 league games gone, we are just on the cusp of being 2/3rds of the way through the season.

Any thoughts on who might be possible candidates for Player of the Year?

It's a difficult one as unlike previous seasons there are numerous candidates. Most I'm sure will aim towards goalscorers. For me the key to this season has been anton ferdinand who has looked a class act since day one. Cox comes a very close second

Ryan Leonard, rarely absent or below 7/10 so he gets my vote.
Simon Cox has been excellent however he has missed more than a couple of games, same for Anton.

Could be any of 5 or 6 players

The rise of Adam Thompson this season has been incredible
Anton Ferdinand has been one of the main instigators of our turn around since taking the captaincy
Simon Cox work rate, intelligence and goals, say no more
Lenny, consistent and always gives his all for the team, same as Wordsworth

Also; McLaughlin before his injury, would have been in the running (no pun intended!)

Very encouraging that that there are so many candidates this season...

We are only a shadow of ourselves when Leonard is not in the team. His defensive covering and athleticism in getting forward are immense. He allows the others to play.
We have other worthy contenders but for me Ryan stands out as consistently excellent.

If asked to vote tomorrow I'd go as follows;

Leonard
Cox
McLaughlin (if he'd avoided injury and kept up his form he'd be top of this list)
Thompson
Ferdinand

Tommo for me too, followed closely by Lenny. Lifetime achievement award to Adam Barratt:winking:

Lenny. Things can easily change though, Cox, Ferdinand, Thompson, Wordsworth all not far behind.

Bit early for me as I don't like pushing fate.

So far has to be Anton, as I believe he is a major influence on the much improved Thommo. In a way we almost signed 2 CB's for the price of one.

Some other very strong candidates like Cox and Lenny. Just a reminder that Bradley Dack was voted L1 player of the year last season. If Gillingham had phoned us up last week and said do fancy swapping for the rest of the season, will give you Dack for either Anton, Lenny or Cox.......What would be your answer.

I am surprised that there has been no mention of Fortune or Atkinson.

Fortune comes on as sub and is up to speed with the game immediately. Play him from the start and he works his socks off and is effective, dangerous and exciting to watch.

Atkinson has been a very important member of the midfield since he came back into the side and that has coincided with the team improving and moving up the league table.

Ryan Leonard, rarely absent or below 7/10 so he gets my vote.
Simon Cox has been excellent however he has missed more than a couple of games, same for Anton.
not again...no way...yes I see the work he does..Cox has improved so much, and is MAF keeps going as he has.... it will be him for me.

Back