• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

danburyshrimper

Manager
We've all seen our players wear those chipped bibs on matchdays + also during training sessions .... but the club never seem to publish the results. I reckon most fans would love to know who is the fastest player ( Lenny ? ) / fastest over the first 10 yards ( Timlin ? )/ biggest muscle to fat ratio ( Ranger ? ) covers most ground ( Obviously Atkinson ! ) .... maybe they should keep who is the slowest (Mooney ? )/ runs the least ( Ferdinand ?) a secret but maybe if they let us know the top 5 in each catagory would be interesting to know.

For what its worth i reckon our fastest 5 players are
1. Leonard
2. McLashan
3. Thompson
4. Timlin
5. McLaughlin

Anyone know any better ?

I think Lenny has been documented to be our fastest player, watch the ground he makes up when he's tracking back sometimes. Wouldn't have Thompson in there, Atkinson, Coker and Demetriou all probably faster than him.

I'd suggest:
1. Leonard
2. McGlashan
3. McLaughlin
4. Atkinson
5. Demetriou

I can't ever see the club realise this data...wouldn't it be great if we knew all the oppositions fasted players, best runner, fitest etc

I actually don't think I need to know statistics of this sort. I have no doubt that PB and his management team have stats coming out of their ears and the figures play a part in training, fitness, comparisons between players etc. But this sort of data should not be in the public domain. I watch a player during a match and I form my own opinion of whether he is a bit quick or a bit Ferdinand. That will do for me.

Wasn't David Martin supposed to really quick when he was with us, I'm sure I remember a kind of race thing they did at B&L one MTBD a few years back?

Years + years ago there was a tv program which did a sort of " sports day" where each football league team entered a player for each event.

I remember the 100 meters final , every player was in the traditional sprinters start ( using sprinting blocks ) except one player.... Southends Chris Powell - who did a very amateur looking standing start !!!!! I think he finished last !

I would have thought in todays over saturated reality tv world that someone would have come up with the idea of a Sports Relief Olympics where footy teams enter players for a few events. They could host it at the Olympic Stadium and have some decent entertainment there for a change :winking:

I remember Marc Laird leaving the others way behind in a longer distance race at a "Meet the Blues Day" some years ago.

Years + years ago there was a tv program which did a sort of " sports day" where each football league team entered a player for each event.

I remember the 100 meters final , every player was in the traditional sprinters start ( using sprinting blocks ) except one player.... Southends Chris Powell - who did a very amateur looking standing start !!!!! I think he finished last !

I would have thought in todays over saturated reality tv world that someone would have come up with the idea of a Sports Relief Olympics where footy teams enter players for a few events. They could host it at the Olympic Stadium and have some decent entertainment there for a change :winking:

The Rumbelows Sprint Challenge.

IIRC Spinner was supposed to be our representative but injured his hamstring so Chrissy Powell took part instead. This was obviously in the days before Usain Bolt and tall, long striding sprinters.

It was won by John(?) Williams of Coventry, the former postie.

Think it was probably shown on Saints and Greavsie, but it might have been Football Focus.

I would love to see it brought back* but the risk of injury means it's unlikely

*Superstars(?) - the one where Keegan infamously fell off his bike - would be an acceptable alternative but I think has been sullied by association with Stuart Hall

Here you go, the final

[video=youtube;OGkiQnKkp3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkiQnKkp3Q[/video]

Can't find the London & South East heat.

Wasn't David Martin supposed to really quick when he was with us, I'm sure I remember a kind of race thing they did at B&L one MTBD a few years back?

For a minute I thought you meant the original Dave Martin. Dave had many admirable qualities, but speed was not one of them.

Fastest ever Blues player? I would go with Iorfa (the original). Otto a close second.

Good shout on Iorfa.

I'd take Stanley to beat Otto in race (if this is ever the half-time entertainment I'll be back at Roots Hall like a shot).

I also think Yemi or Jason Harris were pretty quick, but that might be more going on the fact that they kept on running the ball out of play as they ran in a straight line and just ran out of pitch.

I think the fastest I saw playing for Southend was Theo Robinson. The amount of times he sprinted away from defenders in the time he was here was fantastic. He ended up with so many one on one's with the goalie. Finishing tho, wasn't his strong point. He's lost that speed nowadays due to injuries.

Dave Regis was fast and Wayne grey was rapid

I think I read somewhere back a while ago that Gray chose football over athletics. Think it said he was top national level. If that's true he would likely be our fastest ever.

Back