• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The issue I see with Ted Smith going out on loan is who do we then have on the bench as cover?

Widening the discussion a little, I wonder if players such as Barrett and Mooney might go out on loan - clubs such as Daggers, Col U, Cambridge and Leyton might be interested.

That would be like us signing Karl Duguid.

Personally I'm happy to for Ted to go out on loan for match experience.

Out of curiosity when was the last time we had to sub a goal keeper for another through injury? (not the infamous penalty shoot out incident).?
Besides, (I may be wrong) but I think EFL rules allows clubs to re-call a 2nd choice goal keeper from loan on 24 hours notice.

As for other players... (prior to our checkatrade trophy exit on Tuesday) I would have been hesitant to send out some of our "fringe" players... Just incase we needed them... Now however..

I can't see any reason why we shouldn't off load Williams on loan, perhaps Bedford (at a risk), but IMO I would keep Jack Bridge in the squad, as I think he still has a decent 1st team performance or two in him this season, despite his lack of playing time. A bit like Payne a year or so ago.

Personally I'm happy to for Ted to go out on loan for match experience.

Out of curiosity when was the last time we had to sub a goal keeper for another through injury? (not the infamous penalty shoot out incident).?
Besides, (I may be wrong) but I think EFL rules allows clubs to re-call a 2nd choice goal keeper from loan on 24 hours notice.

As for other players... (prior to our checkatrade trophy exit on Tuesday) I would have been hesitant to send out some of our "fringe" players... Just incase we needed them... Now however..

I can't see any reason why we shouldn't off load Williams on loan, perhaps Bedford (at a risk), but IMO I would keep Jack Bridge in the squad, as I think he still has a decent 1st team performance or two in him this season, despite his lack of playing time. A bit like Payne a year or so ago.

Jack Bridge has potential but I just cannot see him getting much time on the pitch at the moment. Will Atkinson is not likely to be out for long and Luke O'Neill's versatility will always put him ahead of Bridge. If we need an attacking option from the bench McGlashen offers more with his pace. If we sign Hines that will also push Bridge down the pecking order and when Ben Coker returns Michael Timlin will also be ahead of him (assuming Coker goes straight back into the team).

I would like to see Bridge loaned out to a League 2 team (if they want him of course) to given him some more first team experience at full league level.

I saw this today and thought it was pretty interesting in light of this thread: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...explains-changed-liverpools-approach-12301482

The article talks about having a strong under 23 squad ............ to do that you have to have strong opponents to play against don't you?

I'm not sure that there is any substitute for playing league football against seasoned professionals and so I can understand that the clubs with a "vacuum up young talent" approach use the loan system as much as they can.

Let's hope Klopp's approach catches on and the loan system withers even more - then we might see more parity across the leagues in developing youngsters for the future. :thumbsup:

Back