• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Players mental attitude

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
On the face of it, things couldn't look much rosier.

We went to Bristol, deservedly won 2-1 and Bristol had little to indicate that they would pose any threat at all.  Their main man, Junior Agogo, was more like Junior Agogone as he was completely dominated by Prior.

Since then we have all been absolutely full of the probablity that we will be off to Cardiff again.  We have yet to concede a goal at the Hall this year, and Rovers need at least 2.  Even then, they have to rely on our strikers drawing blanks which, these days, doesn't happen too often.

So the odds are stacked in our favour.

Or are they?

I'm sure that the players, whilst publicly stating the job is only half-done, will think subconsciously that it's almost nailed on.  

This is a very dangerous scoreline.

If we get an early goal, then hurrah!  3-1 ahead and surely no way back for Bristol.

But if that happens then nothing has changed - Bristol still need 2 goals, except that that will now take us to extra time and possibly penalties.  And if they get them, then anything can happen.

I would almost be happier if we had drawn the first leg or even lost 2-1 - simply because the players then would have the right mental attitude going into the game.

I really cannot see us losing though - and I think that is the danger.  

Anyone remember Liverpool v Arsenal a few years back in the championship decider when all Liverpool had to do was avoid losing by 2 goals at Anfield?  They hadn't even conceded 2 goals at Anfield for the entire season IIRC, let alone lost by 2.

Of course, Arsenal duly obliged and Michael Thomas nicked the last minute 2nd goal after Alan Smith had opened the scoring midway through the second half.

So I guess that unless we race into an early 3-0 lead, it's going to be a very nervous night.

So it will be a bit like last season then.
rock.gif

Excellent post that sums up my concerns.
Perhaps you should start doing a pre match report as well as your post match views

Another nervous night on the cards at the Hall, but we seem to have saved most of our best performances for this competition over the last couple of seasons...

It will be tight, but we will make it.

wink.gif

It's an interesting point but i think our players are more sensible than that. We've been here before, the players know what is expected. Winning the first leg was the best thing we could've done. Bristol Rovers would've come here and stuck 10 men behind the ball if it was level or they had the lead, and we all know what happens then.
I'm very confident about tonight. We will go through.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ Mar. 08 2005,10:36)]Excellent post that sums up my concerns.
Perhaps you should start doing a pre match report as well as your post match views
Interesting...

The fbm preview and then

the fbm review.

So all that changes is a p.

Who took it? Come on - who's taken the p?

(loads of jokes in there somewhere...)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufc_stu @ Mar. 08 2005,10:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Mar. 08 2005,10:37)]It will be tight, but I will fit into my jumper.
Story of your life fella!

tounge.gif
Note to Admin...

Surely the blatant hijacking and editing of another members post is contravening board rules?.

Sufc_Stu has performed such actions with my previous post and has used it to insult me personally, granted its only a little dig but such privileges cannot be granted to Non-Admin on this board or it will turn into complete chaos.

I urge you to look at this and maybe you could have a word with him personally to warn him as to his future conduct on this board?.

A yellow card wouldnt go a miss too..

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Mar. 08 2005,11:15)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Mar. 08 2005,10:37)]It will be tight, but I will fit into my jumper.

tounge.gif
Note to Admin...

Surely the blatant hijacking and editing of another members post is contravening board rules?.

Sufc_Stu has performed such actions with my previous post and has used it to insult me personally, granted its only a little dig but such privileges cannot be granted to Non-Admin on this board or it will turn into complete chaos.

I urge you to look at this and maybe you could have a word with him personally to warn him as to his future conduct on this board?.

rock.gif
Quite funny though... as someone who doesn't know either party. It raised a chuckle.

[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

tounge.gif
Note to Admin...

rock.gif
Rise above it mate - he's just trying to wind you up...

Matt the Shrimp and I often exactly the same to take the pee out of each other, he is a prize plank after all so it'd be rude not to.

I, of course, never get agitated by goading posts...
cool.gif
biggrin.gif
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Mar. 08 2005,11:19)]Rise above it mate - he's just trying to wind you up...

Matt the Shrimp and I often exactly the same to take the pee out of each other, he is a prize plank after all so it'd be rude not to.

Indeed we do... since we both know that there's only one real plank in SE London, and it's the one who shops with his fellow chavs in Somerfield on Plumstead High Street on a regular basis.

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 08 2005,11:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Mar. 08 2005,11:19)]Rise above it mate - he's just trying to wind you up...

Indeed we do... since we both know that there's only one real plank in SE London, and it's the one who shops with his fellow chavs in Somerfield on Plumstead High Street on a regular basis.

laugh.gif
mad.gif
There's no truth in that at all. Everyone knows Co-op and Woolies are much better
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Mar. 08 2005,11:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 08 2005,11:36)]Indeed we do... since we both know that there's only one real plank in SE London, and it's the one who shops with his fellow chavs in Somerfield on Plumstead High Street on a regular basis.

laugh.gif
mad.gif
There's no truth in that at all. Everyone knows Co-op and Woolies are much better  
tounge.gif
...and, in a demonstration of your true plankishness, I understand you're often seen in the latter, remonstrating with the staff because they won't allow you to take the wrappers of the sweets before weighing them, you tight barsteward...

tounge.gif

[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

tounge.gif
Note to Admin...

I urge you to look at this and maybe you could have a word with him personally to congratulate him on his witty humour on this board?.

I personally would like to receive a yellow card for being a tell tale..

rock.gif
Ha Ha nice try Smiffy!

Your just gutted that you didn’t think of it 1st.

I motion a red card for Smiffy for being a tell tale moaning old git!!

way off topic

I would have thought after coming back from behind on saturday and how wound up Lewis must be, our mental attitude will be spot on.

smile.gif

I'm sure Tilly will be ramming home the point to the players that there is still 95 minutes of hard work to be done. However i'm not too worried about tonight, as with what others have said i can't see us conceeding one goal to Rovers let alone 2 or more. We play better against sides which come and attack which is what they will have to do, we'll pick 'em off on the break.

Up the blues!

Win or lose... it doesn't really matter!

WE'RE THIRD IN L2

That's all i'm interested in!
cool.gif

Back