• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"Players not delivering"

Who next out the door for under-performing?

• Barrett - Legs have gone

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Francis - Never been 100% convinced, lacks concentration

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Mildy - Not the best keeper in the league, prone to errors

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Grant - Not been playing well right midfield

• Macca - Not the player he once was

• Freedman - Absolutely shot

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Walker - A joke

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Other / None

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters

palexander

Life President
As I've posted in the 'Betsy' thread too, now the club policy is to dump players that 'are not performing', then who next?

The loan window re-opens next week, so expect more departures I would guess? Heres the runners and riders - who next is up to hangman King's trap-door for underperforming?

Barrett - Legs have gone
Francis - Never been 100% convinced, lacks concentration
Mildy - Not the best keeper in the league, prone to errors
Grant - Not been playing well right midfield
Macca - Not the player he once was
Freedman - Absolutely shot
Walker - A joke

I can KEEP dragging up facts and figures, but it's pointless really, as the club aren't EVER going to show 'Superstar Freedman' the door. HE is maybe the BIGGEST drain on resources, and gives little back.

I can KEEP dragging up facts and figures, but it's pointless really, as the club aren't EVER going to show 'Superstar Freedman' the door. HE is maybe the BIGGEST drain on resources, and gives little back.

Spot on - I may have misspelt the description for Freedman, putting an 'O' instead of an 'I' :)

Barrett - Never really much more than an L2 defender.
Francis - Has the odd bad game, but is head and shoulders above most at the club
Mildy - Not the worst keeper in the league - good enough if he's cheap enough
Grant - Fantastic talent, needs to develop, and is doing just that. Not a right winger though!
Macca - Not the player he once was. Agree, and in a position where we have plenty of bodies. And I wasn't best pleased with his behaviour towards team mates pre-season.
Freedman - Absolutely shot. Wish I could disagree.
Walker - Has talent. Unfortunately its hidden away behind a total lack of confidence and may end up emerging at another club.

If its a case of pick one more to move on, then it'd have to be Freedman with Macca hanging on by the skin of his teeth.

Saw Francis against Hull and Huddersfield and both times he was absolutely superb. Barrett has looked knackered (maybe due to his injury) and Freedman is a huge waste of wages if the rumours are true. I don't care how much of an influence he is on our young strikers, we pay coaches for that, we pay players to play games and perform.

Will have to agree with you here. He can score goals but with the misses he did in pre-season and how his legs do not react as quick as his brain. I say we should swap his brain and Walker's. Pace and football intelligence would be a great combo!

2 1/2K a week!

As far as i'm aware it's more like 3 1/2k per week

I had heard that when he came to us he said to the club to pay him what they thought he was worth and no more than the highest earner at the club at the time was earning. According to what I heard he then ended up as joint highest earner at the club. I assume that means that he earns the same as Adam Barrett.

I had heard that when he came to us he said to the club to pay him what they thought he was worth and no more than the highest earner at the club at the time was earning. According to what I heard he then ended up as joint highest earner at the club. I assume that means that he earns the same as Adam Barrett.

Well Clarkey worked out to be on £3800 p/w. Whether he was the highest paid is another matter. DF will almost certainly be on or around the same figure as Clarkey was.

I think its very harsh having Barrett, Grant and Mildenhall in this list.

Barrett isn't as good as back in our double winning promotion season, but his performance against Milwall was back up to that standard. He is a massive part of this Club, and a key performer on the pitch.

Grant is one of the best players we have at the Club, and you include him in this list because his not performing very well at right wing? His not a right winger so what do you expect. He does a lot of the dirty work on the right hand side, tracking back, winning tackles, winning fouls etc and covers very well for when Francis goes forward. Last season, bar Dervite and Robinson, I thought Grant was our best player.

As for Mildenhall, his battled against critics since he has arrived at the Club unfortunately and some fans haven't given him a chance. Since his return from injury after Feds went back, his come on leaps and bounds and has won a lot of fans round. Very solid League One goalkeeper in my opinion.

IAs for Mildenhall, his battled against critics since he has arrived at the Club unfortunately and some fans haven't given him a chance.

That's utter crap. He's been given more than a chance by a fanbase who are happy to pronounce him superior to a keeper with whom we achieved back to back promotions who was voted the best player in League One. Mildy is the Teflon Don with teflon gloves.

OK- all the posts are one sided so I will play devils advocate.

If we are putting players out on loan , with the express intention of getting 'better' players in when the transfer window opens then what is the problem ?

Does anyone know for a FACT that this is not the case ? King's use of words has clearly be awfull and can not be defended, but I would bet that a lot of fans would not have Betsy or Revell in their starting 11.

sorry- I'm just doing my very best to try and keep my glass half full, although I think I may have detected a leak !

Why is Freedman suddenly the scapegoat?

He is still a class above what Revell can ever be even aged 33 or whatever he is. He probably has good connections in the game, works hard with the younger players etc.

If your annoyed at Revells departure then fair enough but I dont think Freedman should be the focus of your anger.

I think its very harsh having Barrett, Grant and Mildenhall in this list.

Barrett isn't as good as back in our double winning promotion season, but his performance against Milwall was back up to that standard. He is a massive part of this Club, and a key performer on the pitch.

Grant is one of the best players we have at the Club, and you include him in this list because his not performing very well at right wing? His not a right winger so what do you expect. He does a lot of the dirty work on the right hand side, tracking back, winning tackles, winning fouls etc and covers very well for when Francis goes forward. Last season, bar Dervite and Robinson, I thought Grant was our best player.

As for Mildenhall, his battled against critics since he has arrived at the Club unfortunately and some fans haven't given him a chance. Since his return from injury after Feds went back, his come on leaps and bounds and has won a lot of fans round. Very solid League One goalkeeper in my opinion.

Think you've missed my point somewhat ;)

My point is, if our policy is now offloading 'underperforming' players, then these players must be up for consideration. I'd rather have Betsy playing wide right than Grant for example.

I'm not saying Grant is a bad player, quite the opposite, he is a handy central midfielder - BUT on performances this season, he hasnt been good enough in enough games.

I'd rather have Revell up front with Barnard than anyone else.

Just highlighting the point that (in my opinion of course!) if Revell and Betsy arent considered good enough, then there are also other players in the squad with their heads on the chopping block when the window re-opens next week...

Why is Freedman suddenly the scapegoat?

He is still a class above what Revell can ever be even aged 33 or whatever he is. He probably has good connections in the game, works hard with the younger players etc.

If your annoyed at Revells departure then fair enough but I dont think Freedman should be the focus of your anger.

Huge wages with no consistant output on the pitch.

By his own admission, Freedman is up with the top earners of the club. I dont care about his 'coaching'. If he wants to coach, then BE a coach and we can off Brush and employ Freedman as a coach. I wouldnt be against that.

I'm against the fact he is draining around £3000+ a week from the club and not giving a return ANYWHERE near that on the pitch - when he isnt injured.

Huge wages with no consistant output on the pitch.

By his own admission, Freedman is up with the top earners of the club. I dont care about his 'coaching'. If he wants to coach, then BE a coach and we can off Brush and employ Freedman as a coach. I wouldnt be against that.

I'm against the fact he is draining around £3000+ a week from the club and not giving a return ANYWHERE near that on the pitch - when he isnt injured.

Exactly. spot on.

Back