• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Players potentially moving on after Christmas

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
I bet they'll be a mass exodus of them in the transfer window...and you couldn't blame them
My understanding is that the management team are hoping to move a few players on in January, and that has nothing to do with finance, it's just they want to make a few changes. The person that told me said the players they want to move on "are not the ones you'd expect". I have no idea what that means though.

My understanding is that the management team are hoping to move a few players on in January, and that has nothing to do with finance, it's just they want to make a few changes. The person that told me said the players they want to move on "are not the ones you'd expect". I have no idea what that means though.

Not every transfer will work out - that's a fact of football life - and I quite like the fact the Football Department sees that, and will look to get the team in a better place.

Players arrive and players leave. At least it seems we are actually driving the process rather than reacting to it.

That's really interesting. You have to wonder if players like Mooney are in this bracket. He definitely has a resale value and is a commodity at this level, but it doesn't seem to have clicked for him here. I'm not saying I want him gone, but just trying to think of players that might be 'unexpected'.

Is Taylor the enforcer type midfielder they hoped they signed? Has Lomas demonstrated he has the tools to step up to this level? I know the latter hasn't played hardly but it's more about what the management team see in training.

Let's see what happens, we just have to trust the process.

Last edited:
That's really interesting. You have to wonder if players like Mooney are in this bracket. He definitely has a resale value and is a commodity at this level, but it doesn't seem to have clicked for him here. I'm not saying I want him gone, but just trying to think of players that might be 'unexpected'.

Is Taylor the enforcer type midfielder they hoped they signed? He's Lomas demonstrated he has the tools to step up to this level? I know the latter hasn't played hardly but it's more about what the management team see in training.

New thread required for this conversation but….

For me….

Mooney - nowhere near the assist/goal return we expected and probably one of the highest earners - pure speculation but…….I wonder if he’s a northerner at heart and hasn’t settled down here?

Husin - injury prone, hasn’t pushed on after a decent start last season

Clifford - defensive issues make him
a risky starter at LB/LWB against stronger teams

Hyde - 2 hamstring injuries either side of a goal scoring run is not what we need

Murphy - very sad scenario but I am not sure he is ever going to be the player we need fitness wise

Edit…..Controversial addition…….

Powell - reckon we could do better and reckon we could make some money on him compared to what we paid …

Last edited:

Is Taylor the enforcer type midfielder they hoped they signed? He's Lomas demonstrated he has the tools to step up to this level? I know the latter hasn't played hardly but it's more about what the management team see in training.

I have to admit Mooney was the first name that came to mind for me too, there's obviously a player in there but for some reason it's just not clicked for him with us yet. It could be that he hasn't settled down south, not suited to our system or not adapted to full-time training (Altrincham we still part-time last season). He must have a resale value so maybe it's time to cash in our chips, wish him all the best and move on.

New thread required for this conversation but….

For me….

Mooney - nowhere near the assist/goal return we expected and probably one of the highest earners - pure speculation but…….I wonder if he’s a northerner at heart and hasn’t settled down here?

Husin - injury prone, hasn’t pushed on after a decent start last season

Clifford - defensive issues make him
a risky starter at LB/LWB against stronger teams

Hyde - 2 hamstring injuries either side of a goal scoring run is not what we need

Murphy - very sad scenario but I am not sure he is ever going to be the player we need fitness wise
The first two are certainly 'unexpected', the last 3, not so much. We have Ralph and Bridge for the LWB spot and the general consensus from most is that Clifford just isn't up to it. Most fans wouldn't be shocked if he was offloaded.

It was well documented the issues that both Murphy and Hyde have but I wouldn't consider it 'unexpected' if they were to depart based on those issues. The only 'unexpected' part of it is actually offloading them to someone who wants them. They are still injured. No team is going to want them in that state. I can't see why Wrexham would allow us to terminate his loan knowing they can't send him back out due to his injury.

Such a shame because both strikers are really good at this level when fit, that just isn't enough unfortunately.

Reactions: JD
The first two are certainly 'unexpected', the last 3, not so much. We have Ralph and Bridge for the LWB spot and the general consensus from most is that Clifford just isn't up to it. Most fans wouldn't be shocked if he was offloaded.

It was well documented the issues that both Murphy and Hyde have but I wouldn't consider it 'unexpected' if they were to depart based on those issues. The only 'unexpected' part of it is actually offloading them to someone who wants them. They are still injured. No team is going to want them in that state. I can't see why Wrexham would allow us to terminate his loan knowing they can't send him back out due to his injury.

Such a shame because both strikers are really good at this level when fit, that just isn't enough unfortunately.
Re Hyde - would like to think we were clever with the loan terms in relation to games played. Probably not but you never know.

Get the point re Murphy - do we actually know anything about how bad the ankle is and when he might be back?
Can easily see a lower ranked NL team or even a NLS/NLN team take him on if he can play again for most of the second half of the season.

My selections mostly point to the biggest issue we have had this year - consistency in scoring/creating goals and consistency in selection of strikers at our disposal

Wouldn't surprise me if Murphy gets shipped out as part of a deal for a new CF.

Assuming he returns to full fitness of course, which unfortunately is not a given. Also assuming we are out of embargo by the early part of the new year, but again not a given...

my controversial addition would be Chris Wreh - don't feel he's got management's trust and well known they aren't always happy with the work rate during games. Ideally that might be a loan for the rest of the season to a bottom half NL team or someone challenging in the NLS?

Interesting.

If we go back to Chesterfield, the previous time we lost consecutive games, Maher was unusually outspoken https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/threads/who-are-the-passengers-maher-is-referring-to.112302
It may or may not be a coincidence that this emerges after another set of consecutive losses.

Tom Clifford has barely been seen since but he’s maybe too obvious. Fonguck and Powell were also dropped after that but were heavily involved in our unbeaten run. Unlike Clifford I think they are both in credit.

Mooney has already been mentioned. He doesn’t appear to fit into our system.

Cosgrave wouldn’t be a surprise but he’d be obvious.

Murphy might be difficult to shift but I don’t see where he really fits.

I wonder about Collin. Maher’s already brought one keeper in loan and apparently they are looking at bringing in Justham from Daggers.

Wreh might be another candidate. This seems to be about mentality rather than ability. He has the ability but the management seem frustrated with him. He doesn’t offer the pressing they want to play.

Jack Wood - now out on loan but hasn’t kicked on

I think Wood , Murphy , Cosgrave and Clifford could be let go and replaced fairly cheaply seeing as they have hardly featured this season

Lopata, Husin, Bridge,Hobson, Powell and Miley must form the basis of our side in my opinon , outside of that all can be upgraded on for a similar budget

Ijust wonder if the management team are looking to of load some of the players .Then just maybe they know that the finaces maybe in place for january .Who knows what goes on behind the sceens .

Ralph and Hobson.
Might be something in that, they were two who had transfer negotiations opened but have yet to be agreed (thank you embargo [Ron]). It's known that Hobson's got a girlfriend and family oop North and he may have had enough of the situation here. We'd get a fee on him.

As I understand, Ralph was looking unlikely to accept the new contract on offer and, again, would command a fee, so also possible.

With Wreh, he's made quite a big step up, and his fitness is still improving so depends if they think that's worth pursuing. Given the state of health of our other forwards, I'd be very reluctant unless they're going to give Oli Coker more of a go.

I wonder about Demi as well....

Why wait until January? there is no transfer window for us. Waiting until January will only mean 2 things, these players moving on will be going into the football league or Maher expects the embargo to be lifted by then so he can add some replacements.

Back