• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This the same Rooney who wants to leave every 18 months ?

If I was a Man Utd fan I wouldnt want him as a talisman personally.

Do people really have nothing more to worry about than this? Who cares what Wayne Rooney earns? It's peanuts compared to what a top actor, or baseball player or Formula One driver earns.

Rooney is the marquee player at one of the three biggest clubs in the World. The problem (if there is a problem) isn't Wayne Rooney being paid 300k a week. It's mediocre players like Ashley Young earning 80-100k a week. That's the equivalent to paying an extra 5m to be in a film alongside Tom Hanks.

At what point are the. FA, FIFA, UEFA or whoever going to say "hmmm, this is actually getting a bit silly now maybe we should limit this".

What, like installing some kind of system that will prohibit clubs that far outspend their means from entering European competition you mean? FFP has been designed to do just that. It's effectively useless, but it's still UEFA attempting to rein in some of these teams that appear so eager to bankrupt themselves by paying outlandish transfer fees and wages. Chelsea obviously see some strength to it as they sold a key asset to a rival this weekend in order to comply with it.

How long before a player is earning £1 million a week? 5 maybe 10 years time? That's the worrying thought and you will still here a quiet voice in the corner from FA, FIFA, UEFA etc saying "I think we need a wage cap". Well nows the time to do it before it get really silly.

If you're worrying about how much someone completely unconnected to you earns then I'd say you're enjoying a pretty easy life. US athletes traditionally earn far, far more than their respective European counterparts, as the Forbes money list for athletes shows.

I find it baffling that people can get so worked up by how much people are paid by their employers. There'll be partners at legal firms and hedge fund managers taking home sums that would make Rooney's end of year statements look measly, yet they're somehow reserved from judgement. Footballers are just an easy target. If you want to get angry about something football-finance related, reserve it for how West Ham are waltzing in to a tax payer-subsidised new stadium.

If fans want to pay ridiculous high ticket prices then more fool them.

So you DO know why they want to throw money at him.

No I dont, its a guess, but if thats the reason then Id have thought throwing the money at a new player would make more sense. They could get 3 quality players in for 300k a week.

I think if RVP can get back to fitness and Mata does well Rooney will be arguably behind them in terms of ability yet will be on double what they are.

I dont have any issues with players earning huge amounts, as I said earlier its about supply and demand, but I think they would be daft giving Rooney that much. Wouldnt £300k make him a bigger earner than Ronaldo/Messi? EDIT: Ronaldo is on £288k AFTER tax. Wow.

If you're worrying about how much someone completely unconnected to you earns then I'd say you're enjoying a pretty easy life. US athletes traditionally earn far, far more than their respective European counterparts, as the Forbes money list for athletes shows.

I find it baffling that people can get so worked up by how much people are paid by their employers. There'll be partners at legal firms and hedge fund managers taking home sums that would make Rooney's end of year statements look measly, yet they're somehow reserved from judgement. Footballers are just an easy target. If you want to get angry about something football-finance related, reserve it for how West Ham are waltzing in to a tax payer-subsidised new stadium.

I completely agree. A point people miss when bleating on about how many nurses you could pay for out of Samir Nasri's weekly wage is that unlike the aforementioned British actors and British F1 drivers and probably unlike most hedgefund managers and huge multinationals making billions in profits in the UK the footballers are earning this money in this country and paying their tax in this country. If Wayne Rooney does earn £300k a week then the British taxpayer will take a huge chunk of that.

....and if Clubs are making enough to be able to pay those wages thats even more money in the UK economy.

Of course it affects me, when premierships players wages rise then it's a knock on affect. The wages for championship, league one and league two increase. Which means our ticket prices go up and we go even deeper into financial trouble than we are already in!

You lot are massively deluded to think that these ludicrous wages don't affect us all. Because last time I checked this was ShrimperZone home of Southend Uniteds fans and if they continue more clubs will end up going under because they don't have the clout to keep up.

Sorry but I can't see how Rooney earning £300k will have a knock on affect and bump up the rest of the players wages in the country. The only thing that will change is the top few percent will be earning more and more than the rest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ier-League-wages-FIVE-times-Championship.html

So since the Premiership was born in 1992, the average top flight wages have gone up by 1500% while the bottom tier's average wage has gone up 233%. So the top flight average wage has increased at a rate of 6.5 times more than the bottom tier. That is without including inflation.

If you don't think that morally, socially and football(LY) that there is anything wrong with people being paid these huge sums for of money for playing a game or whatever then, my friends, my judgement is at odds with yours on both the sort of world we live in and the type of football league that is becoming the result of such excess.

If you don't think that morally, socially and football(LY) that there is anything wrong with people being paid these huge sums for of money for playing a game or whatever then, my friends, my judgement is at odds with yours on both the sort of world we live in and the type of football league that is becoming the result of such excess.

Agreed,

These sums are obscene and no sportsman deserves such mad salaries,Rooney must of banked tens of millions so he can hardly spend it.

Of course it affects me, when premierships players wages rise then it's a knock on affect. The wages for championship, league one and league two increase. Which means our ticket prices go up and we go even deeper into financial trouble than we are already in!

You lot are massively deluded to think that these ludicrous wages don't affect us all. Because last time I checked this was ShrimperZone home of Southend Uniteds fans and if they continue more clubs will end up going under because they don't have the clout to keep up.

That's not a result of other clubs out-spending us though, that's the result of clubs overspending when they shouldn't. Manchester United are able to spend that much on wages whilst juggling the Glazer's leveraged buy-out because they're a multinational corporation with mammoth turnover. It's not their fault that other clubs bankrupt themselves in an attempt to emulate their success.

But people aren't being paid these sums for "playing a game". Players like Rooney, Ronaldo and Bale are paid these sums because their clubs profit from their image. Rooney's been a part of every United kit launch since he signed and you can't move around the Bernabeu without having Ronaldo thrust into your face. These players trade on the fact that they're a commodity and it's only fair that they are justly rewarded.

If you were marketable and I wanted to plaster your face on numerous global campaigns in order to make myself a fortune, are you telling me you wouldn't accept more than £50,000 of my many, many millions in turnover because it wouldn't sit right with your moral compass?

Sort of related. How dare Adnan spend only £18 on a meal! That poor gold-digger- I mean, errr ..... that poor woman. How dare he not turn up in a Ferrari and take her too a fancy restaurant that costs most of us a year's salary.

Be--LdaIcAAjwCv.jpg:large

I read that article yesterday and it made me chuckle. Wonder how much she got paid for it, typical sun bollocks.

As for ESB of course I would want more money if I was in Rooneys position but I would want £400,000 a week because I would be better than him and I don't look like shrek (awaits comment contrary to that from dwb). I don't condone the players as everyone wants to earn more money and that's fine but I can't believe the football associations allow clubs to let it get to the state it's at. How has no one not suddenly realised '**** this is getting a bit silly now' and started to do something!

Also in my personal opinion I really think the more the big guns earn has a knock on effect and although not instantly but will affect us in the long run and be the death of lower league football.

Manchester United are one of the largest sporting clubs in the World. They generate a huge amount of money. They can afford to pay Wayne Rooney this. This has afford to pay him twice this. It's a drop in the ocean to them.

There are inflationary effects of higher wages but that's not the fault of the top clubs who can afford the wages- it's the fault of weak owners at clubs who can't.

Do people really have nothing more to worry about than this? Who cares what Wayne Rooney earns? It's peanuts compared to what a top actor, or baseball player or Formula One driver earns.

Anyone who cares, or is upset by, how much Rooney earns needs only to remember one thing. It doesn't matter how rich he becomes, he still won't have any class.

Sort of related. How dare Adnan spend only £18 on a meal! That poor gold-digger- I mean, errr ..... that poor woman. How dare he not turn up in a Ferrari and take her too a fancy restaurant that costs most of us a year's salary.

Indeed. Good for him.

Back