• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Players who always gave 100%

Chrisb

Forever Blue⭐⭐
Just thinking back to some past players whose enthusiasm, pride in the shirt and effort would be very much welcome in our team at the moment.
Ron Pountney, Billy Best, Adam Barratt, Michael Timlin, Luke Prosser to name a few.

Indeed, especially Billy Best! I would add to that Harry Threadgold, Richard Cadette, David Crown, Micky Stead, Peter Taylor, Chris Powell, Ryan Leonard and Glenn Pennyfather (plus two centre backs but their names escape me)

During that 80's era, I would add Danny O'Shea to the list.

I always thought he always put in a decent shift for us, when ever i saw him play.

Shane westley, not only a great centre back that gave 100% but chipped in with a fair few goals also, one of the best centre backs we ever had.

Just thinking back to some past players whose enthusiasm, pride in the shirt and effort would be very much welcome in our team at the moment.
Ron Pountney, Billy Best, Adam Barratt, Michael Timlin, Luke Prosser to name a few.

I was listening to a NFL podcast a while back when they were talking about the draft and one of the things a team personnel director said one of the things they look for in 1st round picks is charisma. It had never occurred to me before that this would be such a desirable trait in a sportsman (although it probably overlaps with leadership) but I think it is spot on and is just what this team needs.

Someone like Barrett had that charisma. His enthusiasm, pride and energy was infectious and rubbed off on those around him - not just team-mates but on the crowd as well.

A dressing room consists of a mix of characters. They aren't just footballers but individuals with different personality types. A team of clones won't work. You need some vocal players, but if everyone is too vocal everyone gets shouted out. You need serious, focused individuals because it is work but if everyone is too serious and too focused you get too tense. So you need a joker, a clown who can say the right thing at the right time to loosen the mood or lighten things up when you're going through a spell like this.

Maybe we already had the right mix of personalities and injuries have removed them from the dressing room but I'm struggling to identify too many boisterous types, a player of two who sees the lighter side of the game, a leader that rallies the troops. Maybe we miss Timlin and maybe Anton Ferdinand here as much for their personalities as for their waning football abilities. I expect someone like Wordsworth would crack a joke or two, who is now the class clown? Maybe Dru is a bundle of positive energy but if so there are too few like him.

Above all what we need is an individual(s) who wants to take the game by the scruff of the neck when things start going awry and will it by sheer force of personality. We have largely competent players. What we lack - besides in Hopper's absence a targetman - is someone with this sort of charisma to bend things to their will. If they lead, I think the others will follow.

Shaun Goater has charisma in buckets

Yep, that's exactly the type of character I think we're missing.

That team had Goater, Barrett, Prior, Mark Bentley

Webby's team was full of characters - Andy Ansah, Dave Martin, Chris Powell, Pat Scully etc

The play-off promotion team had Big Bad Barry Corr, Michael Timlin, Adam Barrett and even to an extent Dan Bentley.

I think we've lacked those types of characters for a few years now since Corr went to Cambridge and Barrett to Millwall.

And with it maybe we lack an identity, a talisman or two.

I miss players like Carl pettifer and the will Atkinsons of this world. Not the most technical players but you know where you stand with them. 100% effort in every game.

I'd rather have a team of complete work horses than show ponies.

Back