• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Players you cant believe we got money for.

DTS

The Business
I have got to start with Jason Lee.....

Signed as a replacement for Stan Collymore but I dont think he was even fit to grace the pitch. One of the single worst players I have ever seen. A sparkling debut in a 4-1 demolition job at Millwall gave us false hope.

I can only assume that Frank Clark was high on crack when he paid £200k to sign him. I suspect Jobson laughed all the way to the bank.

DtS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Aug. 31 2006,12:17)]I have got to start with Jason Lee.....

Signed as a replacement for Stan Collymore but I dont think he was even fit to grace the pitch. One of the single worst players I have ever seen. A sparkling debut in a 4-1 demolition job at Millwall gave us false hope.

I can only assume that Frank Clark was high on crack when he paid £200k to sign him. I suspect Jobson laughed all the way to the bank.

DtS
That must have been the same day that Clark signed Jae Martin, who promptly sank without trace.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Aug. 31 2006,12:17)]I suspect Jobson laughed all the way to the bank.

DtS
Yeah. His bank, not the clubs
mad.gif

How about players I can't believe we paid money for!

I'll start with these beauties.....

Tony Richard
Barrington Belgrave
Mark Rawle

And the Crem de la Crem....Shane Wardley!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Aug. 31 2006,13:47)]Did we sell Ben Abbey or did we pay someone vast sums to take him off of our hands.
Released in May 2001 because, as the story goes, he walked in David Webb's office and demanded more money. Non-league beckoned ...

Got to be Martin Margetson (apologies for the dodgy spelling) - couldn't get into the side, and was farmed out to Huddersfield for £40k. And then he got called up by Wales...
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Aug. 31 2006,12:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Aug. 31 2006,13:47)]Did we sell Ben Abbey or did we pay someone vast sums to take him off of our hands.
Released in May 2001 because, as the story goes, he walked in David Webb's office and demanded more money. Non-league beckoned ...
But harsh to name "Who let the Abbey out"

I think Ben Abbey was pretty decent....Scored some cracking goals and was very honest and hard working. I was sad to see him go as I think he got 12 goals or so in his first season of pro-football.

Proof is in the pudding as he hasnt done much since but still not a total carthorse like some other mentioned I am sure.

DtS
suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Aug. 31 2006,12:17)]I have got to start with Jason Lee.....

DtS
This is going to be a short thread as how can it be anyone but Jason Lee?

I remember cheering when I heard that we'd sold him. The cheers soon turned to laughter when I heard that Forest had paid money for him and then sheer disbelief when they said the price was £200,000.

Didnt see Jason Lee play for us as only started supporting the shrimpers in 1995

In my time it has to be Barry Conlon, this news was broken to me by Angell Delight in an afternoon telephone conversation

AD ''Oh by the way we've managed to get rid of Barry Conlon''

ST ''Shame!! Where we managed to offload him to?''

AD ''York''

ST ''Suprised he didnt have to drop down a league, did we pay up his contract?''

AD ''No, but York gave us £100k for him''

Cue the laughter and tears

biggrin.gif

Back