• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Playing behind closed doors could cost Southend United £700,000

They’re going to be called off in about 2-4 weeks. The government is waiting for numbers to go up towards NHS capacity levels and only then will they employ the emergency measures such as calling off sports events. They are being relatively open about this.

True but this is moving very fast and two weeks is a long way away. After today I’m expecting major developments pretty much every day from now

Callum Hudson-Odoi of Chelsea now also tested positive so Chelsea in self isolation as well.

Hard to see how the EFL can allow things to keep going.

The government may not call the games off but the clubs and the EFL themselves might choose to do so.

I wonder what sort of punishment we would receive if we failed to play the rest of the games due to Covid-19? remember it will only take one player at one L1 club to have symptoms for it all to unravel

More chance of the games being cancelled than behind closed doors. If season ended now would they take the current positions as the final table and have no promotion/relegation.

More chance of the games being cancelled than behind closed doors. If season ended now would they take the current positions as the final table and have no promotion/relegation.

A) Probably - maybe with an adjustment where unequal games played B) No

A) Probably - maybe with an adjustment where unequal games played B) No

They could just call the season null and void, there would be objections on all sides no matter what they decide.

after all we could claim we would have stayed up had the season not been abandoned.

The legal implications of ending the football season early could bring down the EFL. No Championship playoffs? Clubs will sue the arse of them.

In reality if we call games off from this weekend and the virus is due to peak in the next 10-14 weeks - it's then difficult to see how fixtures could resume much before June/July at the earliest. My gut feel is that we're going to see the season voided as there will be upward of ten fixtures per team to complete before the new season starts which would need at least a 4-5 week period to reach a conclusion.

I don't see how lost revenue will be recovered either which will ultimately pull a significant number of teams towards administration - at this point the league would need to adopt common sense and reduce the penalties.

To be honest there are so many permutations right now that it's almost pointless running through them all until UEFA meet next Tuesday which will ultimately provide the necessary direction to all European leagues.

Worrying times people, stay safe!

The government may not call the games off but the clubs and the EFL themselves might choose to do so.

I wonder what sort of punishment we would receive if we failed to play the rest of the games due to Covid-19? remember it will only take one player at one L1 club to have symptoms for it all to unravel

Peterborough have a player in self-isolation according to their chairman on Twitter.

I think we're heading for a suspension and the club won't survive it unfortunately.

Generally I struggle to feel any sympathy for the EFL- a generally hopeless and self-serving organisation. However they are in a terrible position.

Normally and in the rest of Europe and wider afield governments are taking the lead and action' even if belatedly. Here it's shall we just say a very different place. So its being left to the EFL. Had a government told them to suspend/ stop fixtures it would be easy and legally they would be in a much easier position. In the absence of this they have to take the decision themselves which obviously leaves them more open.

As has been said if they cancel this weekend, and they will also be in a bind if the Premiership do and they don't, then its difficult to see things being up and running for a number of weeks if the peak is 8 weeks away.

And, of course if they think it through they will realise that there is no hope of finishing the season without players contracts coming to and end and all sorts of other issues that would probably mean the season being abandoned.

So probably the only way the season finishes is games behind closed doors.

Of course meanwhile lots of L1 and L2 clubs wont be able to pay their wages and the tax man, and everyone must be treated fairly and equally. So a blizzard of winding up orders, misconduct charges, transfer embargoes unless the EFL addresses the financial elephant in the room..

Wishful thinking that the season will be declared null and void, why should it ? Let's face it we deserve relegation along with Bolton. God help us if teflon Ron escapes relegation due to Corona virus, he already thinks he's untouchable.

Personally I think we will see a 6 week suspension, Euros cancelled and the season ending late June, early July with 2 games a week where feasible.

Wishful thinking that the season will be declared null and void, why should it ? Let's face it we deserve relegation along with Bolton. God help us if teflon Ron escapes relegation due to Corona virus, he already thinks he's untouchable.

Personally I think we will see a 6 week suspension, Euros cancelled and the season ending late June, early July with 2 games a week where feasible.

Sounds like a solution but presumably the transfer window changes, next season starts late, what about all the players contracts that end at the end of June (I think its June?) Can they play? Are they registered without a contract? Do you automatically renew their contracts for a period? can they do that? I suspect it might be rather harder in practice..

There's a slight problem with the season being extended, players contracts would expire and that would cause chaos.

whilst we deserve relegation the real problem is at the top of the league there are 7 clubs that can claim that they would have got promoted if the season had been finished, how do you decide which one goes up and how do you justify it to the others? the legal implications would be fascinating.

There's a slight problem with the season being extended, players contracts would expire and that would cause chaos.

whilst we deserve relegation the real problem is at the top of the league there are 7 clubs that can claim that they would have got promoted if the season had been finished, how do you decide which one goes up and how do you justify it to the others? the legal implications would be fascinating.
There was piece in the DT today which said that unless there were teams in adjoining divisions where promotion and relegation were already mathematically confirmed, then the leagues would stay the same for next season

It is possible that the season in all four divisions will be extended to June or even July with clubs playing two matches per week. At least every club will be in the same situation and may have to rotate their squads to be able to cope. The Euro Championships are likely to be postponed till next year also.

That is the case for a few clubs but it varies wildly. Not all clubs (including frustratingly SUFC) disclose their income breakdown, some are up to 45%, but you can assume it would be higher for us. Partly because we make significantly less than almost all other clubs through player sales, and partly because our income streams away from gate receipts are among the lowest in all four divisions. Think I remember reading somewhere that our average spend per head on food and drink in the ground is among the lowest in the Football League

So we're probably closer to 50/60% of income coming through the gate. We're bang in trouble.

I don't think many clubs go into this detail in their accounts

1584095552577.png

Back