• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Manager

Birthday presents this week have allowed me to forget about impending middle aged by catching up on some missed albums (some of my spare funds that would have normally been spent on CD's going on spoiling my daughter instead for the last 9 months or so).

First up, the new Belle & Sebastian. Yes, I know it's not really much of a catch up as it only came out Monday. However I waited till Tuesday to get it, normally I'd be queueing up first day of it's release as I'm just a bit of a fan. Twee Indie Alert for Napster but I just love this band and the album doesn't disapoint - they continue to write the most intelligent tunes which are as catchy and POP as ever. Go out and buy it and you'll be making the world a better place.

Also received, The Go Team and Thunder, Lightning, Strike. A very good record to put on as you're getting ready to go out on a Saturday night I should imagine. Put it on loud and annoy the neighbours whilst prancing around the house - it doesn't translate as well on the iPod whilst sitting on a C2C train but I've heard enough to know it will become a favourite for certain situations.

Then there's Anthony and the Johnsons, I Am A Bird Now. Only had the chance for one listen so far and there a parts of it on there that show real beauty even first time around so i'm sure it is a bit of a grower. There are also some very wierd bits of the album - but a little bit of wierd in your music collection is a good thing so I'm prepared to stick with this one to see how it changes with more listens.

And finally, because it's been raved about so much on here, Arcade Fire and Funeral. Not got much to say about this one yet as I'm only just ripping it to iTunes as I type (purchased today with an HMV token, I've been getting record tokens since at least my 7th birthday so that's 25 years worth of the same presents - and very gratefully received they always are too). Will pass judgement once I've listened to it properly.

Blimey - are you trying to keep the new Rough Trade label afloat single handedly?
wink.gif

"I am a Bird Now" is indeed a stunning piece of work. It's so satisfying to see someone like Antony getting the attention/recognition he deserves. The first album is equally good too.

It pains me to say it but I think the last 2 Belle & Seb albums have been totally appalling. I don't say that lightly - from 1996 to 2002 I worshipped the very ground that Stuart Murdoch walked on. I connected more with them than any other band in my lifetime and although I was wary when Stuart David left and the formula started to change, they came back with their 2 finest singles ("Jonathan David" and "I'm Waking Up to Us") and I even liked "Storytelling". I was totally stunned the first time I heard "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" - they just became an over-produced parody of themselves and lost every bit of their charm. They've obviously decided they want to be a nice, polished mainstream pop band and make some money (the new Divine Comedy perhaps?) which is fair enough but I bet there's hundreds of fans like me who'll never buy another record by them.

Back