• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alex

Members
I will be in my usual seat in the south upper for the game against Oxford. Right infront of us we could see Luck McCormick making his Oxford debut, my plea is to leave him alone. Yes have the usual banter that we give every keeper but no aggressive stuff. Yes he has done wrong and his actions lead to the death of some children, that is something he will never forgive himself for and will haunt him for the rest of his life, that is also something that most of us willfind hard to accept, he has done his time given to him by the justice system. What I'm getting at is we are all there tomorrow to support and cheer on Southend United, lets focus our energy on backing the bues to win the game, thats what I'm there for. I'm not going and do not wish to hear the constant abuse, rightly or wrongly hurled at McCormick.

Barmy Army

I think its inevitable he will get abuse from all sides of the ground & to be honest from a personal point of view its deserved.

I've heard all the 'done his time', 'deserves a second chance' etc etc, but to me & many others his crime's were awful & justice was insufficient.

However I wont abuse him, I'm in the SU, because I have my 12 y/o daughter with me, but if she asks what the abuse is about I will her he was a drunk driver who's actions killed two children.

Open season as far as i'm concerned drink driving scum deserves life behind bars but what he actually gets it's the chance to play professional football how lovely for him

Wasting your internet allowance mate. He will get it big time from all corners!

Shame.

I will be in my usual seat in the south upper for the game against Oxford. Right infront of us we could see Luck McCormick making his Oxford debut, my plea is to leave him alone. Yes have the usual banter that we give every keeper but no aggressive stuff. Yes he has done wrong and his actions lead to the death of some children, that is something he will never forgive himself for and will haunt him for the rest of his life, that is also something that most of us willfind hard to accept, he has done his time given to him by the justice system. What I'm getting at is we are all there tomorrow to support and cheer on Southend United, lets focus our energy on backing the bues to win the game, thats what I'm there for. I'm not going and do not wish to hear the constant abuse, rightly or wrongly hurled at McCormick.

Barmy Army

I get where you're coming from but this is one of those where people will have to make their own minds up. Many will think he's got off lightly having made bad, bad choices. No matter how much (or little) time he's served or how bad he might feel about it, those kids won't be coming back. Even if he got the reception from hell - which he really won't at Roots Hall anyway - the kids will still be the victims in this, not him. If people decide to give him stick, he'll just have to face it. He'll have accepted that risk when he chose to go back into professional football just as he accepted the risk when he jumped behind the wheel that night. Ultimately, he'll get what people think he deserves.

He will get abuse at every ground he goes to and if he can't accept that he shouldn't have got back into the game

Barmy Army

McCormick isnt the victim here. He made his choices, he lives with the consequences.

Hope he gets stick every ground he goes to.

The real victims :

images.jpg

Probably an unpopular point of view, but here goes...

What he has done is terrible. However his actions are no different to anybody else that drinks and drives, the only difference is the result of his actions.

By all means abuse him, but make sure you give the same abuse to everybody who drinks and drives. The only thing separating them from Luke is that they've been lucky and not hurt anyone.

Asking football fans not to abuse a footballer who has been jailed is like asking BarnaBlue to read something other than the Guardian. Pointless.

Not got any sympathy for drink drivers, but how many on here on SZ make idiotic decisions or speed in their cars on a daily basis, I do I was doing 80 mph on M25 tonight... not exactly the same, but the result could be similar!

My suggestion is you look into the mirror before you abuse others that could so easily be you or me!

I'm a good honest lad, i always put myself in other peoples shoes in certain scenario's. i was thinking about this and thinking i'd feel sorry for him, however his actions have caused death to two young children.. he deserves all he gets

Although it was not intentional and i guess he would do anything to go back to that night and get into a cab, but what has happened has happened. Footy fans do not forget and for the rest of his career he will get this from all opposition fans.

If i was him, id dread the second half his back to the North Bank

Not got any sympathy for drink drivers, but how many on here on SZ make idiotic decisions or speed in their cars on a daily basis, I do I was doing 80 mph on M25 tonight... not exactly the same, but the result could be similar!

My suggestion is you look into the mirror before you abuse others that could so easily be you or me!

Sorry bloke , you might liken yourself to a drunken speeding killer but please don't tar us all with the same brush.

Most people abusing him will be doing it in the hope it will put him off and help their team. It will have little do do with morals
I have never driven whilst having had a drink and I abhor drink drivers. I assume that all those berating McCormick will be of the same mindset (greenhouses and stones come to mind)

No its not quite the same.

Doing 80mph on a motorway is safe.

Doing it when you have had a couple of hours sleep and are still drunk makes it a bit more of a gamble.

Most people abusing him will be doing it in the hope it will put him off and help their team. It will have little do do with morals
I have never driven whilst having had a drink and I abhor drink drivers. I assume that all those berating McCormick will be of the same mindset (greenhouses and stones come to mind)

Well I wont be shouting any abuse as Ill be with my kids, but 100% down to morals for me, but you are right for many it will be a handy reason. I can live with that...

Barmy Army

What I really mean is in bold, it's not about whether he deserves a second chance or not, whether he is scum or not. 90 minutes of constant abuse to him (yes he does deserve it) is NOT going to spur Southend on. Abuse him when he first come to the goal and give him hell then yes, but when the ball is in play lets remember the real reason why we are there tomorrow, and thats to hopefully enjoy a good performance and win for Southend

No its not quite the same.

Doing 80mph on a motorway is safe.
No, it's not.

I'm not going to waste my time on McCormick because I would rather concentrate on encouraging my team to win. That is where my focus will be. He will have to live with the consequences of his actions for the rest of his life, I don't need to add to that now.

No, it's not.

I'm not going to waste my time on McCormick because I would rather concentrate on encouraging my team to win. That is where my focus will be. He will have to live with the consequences of his actions for the rest of his life, I don't need to add to that now.

Totally this. He didn't go out thinking he would go and mow down and kill 2 kids. It was an accident that will replay in McCormick mind every day for the rest of his life. He has to live with this and it will screw him up inside till the day he dies.

He has served his sentence and is entitled to earn a living any way he can. Many of us have done things we regret and I'm sure there are some on here who have drunk driven on occasion and been lucky enough not to mow down and kill anyone down. Those are as bad as McCormick in my book.

Barmy Army
and if he had killed somebody in your family would you have the same view?.

Back