• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update PLEASE ALL READ: What we want the Zone to be....

Without necessarily looking to pat all of our members, moderators, posters and contributors on the back, I believe this forum continues to punch above its weight - even in these dark times. Discussion, at least for the most part (yeah, I know - come with me!) is civil, respectful and focused on Southend United issues rather than personalities. It's apparent that, even as our club has gone to hell in a handcart on and off the pitch over a sustained period of time, we've been able to discuss it reasonably sensibly on here without continually beating the **** out of each other. As a joint-owner of this forum, I want to thank everyone for that.

As a culture, that hasn't happened accidentally. It has been a main thrust of what we've been trying to achieve for nearly two decades now on this forum. It doesn't always run smoothly and our owner/moderator team doesn't always play the perfect pass or make the cleanest of tackles every single time. Indeed, it's impossible to please all the people all the time but we've generally managed to build a foundation for inclusiveness without straying into political correctness, where robust debate can happen without aggression or threats, and where people can reasonably argue their points without ridicule or insult. For the most part!

Recently, we've had a number of SUFC players' relatives joining the Zone - which can be something of a double-edged sword. Some have posted while some have taken a back seat and just followed the debate. Some have made themselves known proudly and directly. Some have made it obvious from their posts and comments here and on other platforms like Facebook or Twitter that would have removed any doubt as to who they were. That last group has made it sometimes difficult to manage (and in hindsight I and the team should have tidied up on certain things a little quicker) but I want to make it clear that it remains SZ policy for posters to have the right to anonymity should they want it and we ask all Zoners to respect this fully.

Beyond that though, it also shows that the discussions we have here are likely to have a wider impact than we might realise. The recent events with Caroline Flack show how important it is to remember that words can have brutal consequences. What we're ultimately watching is a GAME played by HUMAN BEINGS. For us, it's something to do on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening. For the players, much as it has seemed "obvious" that some couldn't give two hoots, it's an occupation, a career and a livelihood. For their watching families and anyone else who loves them, it can easily be a potential dream or nightmare.

So, just a brief reminder to all of us:

For our visitors: If you step back a little, football is an unreasonable game full of bias, passion, elevated emotions and exaggeration. Read any forum after a tremendous defeat or glorious victory and you'll consistently see the over-reactions - good and bad. What I like about this place is that for every post slating a player or the manager or even the chairman, there's generally another coming out in support - and vice versa. The point is, if you're close to someone in the firing line, you're going to sometimes need some tough skin if you're going to be reading it. If you want to come out and post in support of someone you know personally, then you will have every right to do so within the confines of the Zone's rules and guidelines, but also recognise that not everyone is going to agree with the opinion. We simply can't (and won't) censor those opinions unless, again, what is posted falls outside of the Zone's rules.

For our posters: The only ask here is to just take a moment to think if you're going to go in overly hard on players. On one hand, they are someone's son, someone's brother, someone's friend etc. On the other, they are also living their own lives: Simon Cox, Anton Ferdinand being two recent examples who have spoken up about battles with mental health. That in itself should NOT stop reasoned debate about our team and players on a forum like this. But we do sometimes need to collectively take a stronger position on the wild speculation, personal attacks, and suspicions/hearsay/rumours etc presented as "facts".

Equally, I want to draw the line on WHO is up for discussion - and this should not include members of players' families, particularly when they are not or are no longer on the Zone to answer for themselves. We need to put a stop to that now.

All written with the intent of making this a better place for everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Only 200 fellow Zoners have read this so far, please could everyone read this so we can all keep the Zone the place we all know and love - a kind, considerate and friendly place for us all to natter about our shared love for SUFC:Thumbs up:

Hear Hear SBH, I agree completely. I also think that certain posters need to think carefully before posting abusive messages regarding RM.

Best football forum there is. Wouldnt change it for the world. But yes some things are borderline nasty. Its probably for the best that some people breathe a bit before they hit the keyboard. But compared to a lot of the internet sz is a very decent place.
If we all agreed on everything it would be dull...

But we all agree that we love the club ?

Fair play well said. Maybe even more so with regards the tender age of many of our lads and i'm no saint when it comes to critiqing the players at times. Great forum, has been for years now and always balanced with opinions.

Totally agree.
However, the problem with the unspoken work is that it will always be open to interpretation by the person reading and not the person saying and very often the meaning behind the words can get lost.
I have been on this site for a few years now and in general most people are kind and understanding and will happily engage in good constructive conversation but, there are those few who will only see there own point of view and have some enjoyment in down beating others.
I have found more support and positivity on here than negativity and yes this is a good site

Only 200 fellow Zoners have read this so far, please could everyone read this so we can all keep the Zone the place we all know and love - a kind, considerate and friendly place for us all to natter about our shared love for SUFC:Thumbs up:
Give me a chance. I'm a slow reader and rather sensitive about it. ?

I agree for the most part - how could one not?
That said, strongly disagree with: 'For us, it's something to do on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening'.
It's frankly, a lot more than that - although it shouldn't be.
In 57 years of supporting the club, I've never felt this despondent.
There have been bad times (loads!) and good times (fewer than desirable, but still enjoyable).
This season is the lowest of the low.
I've lived and breathed each new low, and wrung my hands in despair at not just the defeats, but the manner and helplessness of it all.
It has affected my everyday life in the sense that I fear for the future of our beloved club.
I just 'don't do' Southend on a Saturday or a Tuesday, but have them stuck to the front of the mind each and every day.
I only wish some of our players, the recently departed and present, felt the same way.

Take it easy CPM. It's not a matter of life and death.

It's more important than that.

What this forum needs is a Russian billionaire owner.

Totally agree CPM, In my case 62 years of a love affair, but never so despondent as now. COYBB...….please.

That said, strongly disagree with: 'For us, it's something to do on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening'.
In 57 years of supporting the club, I've never felt this despondent.
There have been bad times (loads!) and good times (fewer than desirable, but still enjoyable).
This season is the lowest of the low.
I've lived and breathed each new low, and wrung my hands in despair at not just the defeats, but the manner and helplessness of it all.
It has affected my everyday life in the sense that I fear for the future of our beloved club.
I just 'don't do' Southend on a Saturday or a Tuesday, but have them stuck to the front of the mind each and every day.
I only wish some of our players, the recently departed and present, felt the same way.
Blimey son, you need a hug. Hope for your sake we scrape 3 points tomorrow and put a bit of colour in those cheeks of yours. 57 years of feeling that intense about SUFC, thats hardcore right there brother, i actually felt worse when Barry Fry went, then some time later i saw him Otto jump in a limo with him, horribly depressing knowing we were on the way down and down. At least we all saw this coming ! Be lucky me old china

Honestly - I’m glad you do and that most on here also do on that take. We wouldn’t be on here if we weren’t more committed than just weekends and the odd evening!

It is still ALSO definitely “something to do“ though and it beats (insert whatever else you’d be getting up to as opposed to sitting in the cold watching your team getting mashed!!) :-D

Massive congrats on your long suffering service!

Honestly - I’m glad you do and that most on here also do on that take. We wouldn’t be on here if we weren’t more committed than just weekends and the odd evening!

It is still ALSO definitely “something to do“ though and it beats (insert whatever else you’d be getting up to as opposed to sitting in the cold watching your team getting mashed!!) :-D

Massive congrats on your long suffering service!
If I was on a zero hours contract on here I'd probably have earnt enough over the last few months to fund next year's season cards for me and her. As it is I'm just unpaid labour.:Winking:

If I was on a zero hours contract on here I'd probably have earnt enough over the last few months to fund next year's season cards for me and her. As it is I'm just unpaid labour.:Winking:

Actually thats a valid point. As you are now retired and a huge asset to these forums. I was thinking the time you put in keeps you safely busy away from 1000's of jobs your good lady would find for you to do. Therefore should you not be paying us? :Winking:

Keep up the great contributions you all make Zoners.After all It's why we are all here, for the Love of OUR club.

Last edited:
Back