• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Please sir, can I have.....

Whispering Bob

Striker
Noticed a sprinkling of those begging notices on Sunday, attempting to blag a players shirt. Thought this was a Premier League thing. Made me chuckle when a, not particularly young, fan held his excitedly aloft as Sam Dalby approached his area. Their eyes met, young Sam came over, a brief exchange of words ensued, only for Dalby to move on, shirt intact. Said fan eventually lowered his crude cardboard sign, slightly crushed. I'm intrigued what was said "been told not to, we cant afford it!" ?!?

I think they're told not to give them out so as not to encourage it

Noticed a sprinkling of those begging notices on Sunday, attempting to blag a players shirt. Thought this was a Premier League thing. Made me chuckle when a, not particularly young, fan held his excitedly aloft as Sam Dalby approached his area. Their eyes met, young Sam came over, a brief exchange of words ensued, only for Dalby to move on, shirt intact. Said fan eventually lowered his crude cardboard sign, slightly crushed. I'm intrigued what was said "been told not to, we cant afford it!" ?!?
Almost certainly this. I remember us having to play in our away kit in the final game of the League 1 promotion season all those years ago (sniff!) because a few of our players threw their shirts into the crowd at Swansea. Unlike at the top level, clubs like ours will be reluctant to keep replacing shirts if they are continually donated.

Needs to be a rule against it, a player (if allowed to give their shirt) should be able to pick and choose who they give their shirt to, not some tacky sign begging for one, gets on my nerves.

I think they have to keep them for the player sponsors, I asked for Kyprianou's a few seasons back and was denied unfortunately, but isn't uncommon.

Jeez these are little kids ,who are the clubs future, what harm would it do, even if the player bought a new one

Honestly we lose the "family" club if we disappoint kids, not blaming the players as maybe under orders, but come on Southend, people have earnt a good living from the club in the past and probably buy the team another set, or others could be making a fortune from the sale of the club in the future

Sorry poor show by the club imho
Bring back Phil Gridlett he would have given you shirt, shorts, socks, photo ,autograph in the old days

We met Luke (kitman) outside of the Wrexham ground last away game. The lads asked if they would be able to get a shirt. He told them to wait outside near the coach at the end of the game and that they all had at least two away shirts so probably would be happy to give away as not required anymore. Kensdale, Cardwell, JW, Arnold all said that they had already agreed to give to family or friends, some of the players didnt engage, but thats fine. I have a number of signed shirts at home from years gone by that ive been given by players and have Steve Arnolds orange shirt/and gloves (Barnet away game) from this season signed for my sons birthday. Its a nice touch by the players but understand at this level if they would rather not

I was pitchside until a long time after the game with a particular player, who I saw give one shirt to a youngster who he promised it to with pictures etc, then he ran over to the other side of the pitch where another child with his parent was just leaving, but hed promised that child a shirt too. He managed to get there in time to shout to them as they were going out at the top of the stairs. They were made up he'd not forgotten. Then he had to go get another and get outside to give one to a young fan who he'd arranged to wait for him. A couple of other very young children and parents wanted a shirt and it was difficult explaining he had no more, so he promised them next year they were top of the list, which they were ok about, then he went and got an official ball and signed it for them with pics etc (Doubt he was supposed to be doing that!). The child and parent were really happy. They get very limited numbers of shirts over the season to play in, unlike higher up/richer/bigger clubs. Ive seen the same player give his boots away in previous years while walking around the pitch.
They all do what they can I feel. To a younger player in his first season or if its the players first memorable season at the club, one club shirt will probably be kept as a memory and maybe passed on to their own children one day.
It was a pleasure to watch the players being unselfish. I think they know the fans matter a lot to the them and the club.

Jeez these are little kids ,who are the clubs future, what harm would it do, even if the player bought a new one

Honestly we lose the "family" club if we disappoint kids, not blaming the players as maybe under orders, but come on Southend, people have earnt a good living from the club in the past and probably buy the team another set, or others could be making a fortune from the sale of the club in the future

Sorry poor show by the club imho
Bring back Phil Gridlett he would have given you shirt, shorts, socks, photo ,autograph in the old days
This particular one had sideburns.

Is it me or is Sammy the shrimp becoming more popular too! To be fair he puts a lot of effort in and must be roasting in that on some days. Not so easy to give his kit away....may wreck the beliefs of some young children :)

Is it me or is Sammy the shrimp becoming more popular too! To be fair he puts a lot of effort in and must be roasting in that on some days. Not so easy to give his kit away....may wreck the beliefs of some young children :)
Me 'ead's fell orf!

I was pitchside until a long time after the game with a particular player, who I saw give one shirt to a youngster who he promised it to with pictures etc, then he ran over to the other side of the pitch where another child with his parent was just leaving, but hed promised that child a shirt too. He managed to get there in time to shout to them as they were going out at the top of the stairs. They were made up he'd not forgotten. Then he had to go get another and get outside to give one to a young fan who he'd arranged to wait for him. A couple of other very young children and parents wanted a shirt and it was difficult explaining he had no more, so he promised them next year they were top of the list, which they were ok about, then he went and got an official ball and signed it for them with pics etc (Doubt he was supposed to be doing that!). The child and parent were really happy. They get very limited numbers of shirts over the season to play in, unlike higher up/richer/bigger clubs. Ive seen the same player give his boots away in previous years while walking around the pitch.
They all do what they can I feel. To a younger player in his first season or if its the players first memorable season at the club, one club shirt will probably be kept as a memory and maybe passed on to their own children one day.
It was a pleasure to watch the players being unselfish. I think they know the fans matter a lot to the them and the club.
Yeah, I’d actually like the players to hang onto their shirts as it actually means something to them rather than give them away so they can be sold on eBay.

Are you suggesting he’s not a real Shrimp?

I’m crying and my Son is laughing at me. Cheers.

?
Id never suggest that lol! I truly believe he is a real shrimp (in case your sons reading this!!).
He does good work (for a shrimp). Gets around the pitch well considering.

It's become a fad, hasn't it?
Kids see it on TV and ape it.
Any shirt given must surely be for a sound reason, although I noted Mitrovic gave his Fulham top to a fan who had a sign in Serbian (I guess) attached to a Serb flag.
A bit more inventive, eh, than the back of the cardboard box you got from Tesco's.

I can remember Peter Clark told me when he gave his shirt away at the Chelsea cup game forcing a money spinning replay ron martin told him he would have to pay for it ( good old ron )

Back